Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/20/2004 5:40:55 AM EDT
Does anybody have any experience with these new forends?

http://www.mgimilitary.com/images/CompleteRifle.jpg

www.mgimilitary.com/qcb.htm
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 4:55:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Well I guess this means that they're crap, or too new for anybody to know anything about them.  
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 5:35:28 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't see the point?? Other than it is the latest "Have to have"..
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 5:41:36 PM EDT
[#3]
I would own one but not for the price there askin. Its basicaly a A3 upper with a not so usefull front end on it. The convience of being able to swap barrels is nice, but Id rather have the reliability of a barrel that does not move or potentialy loosen due to wear on the lugs required to hold the barrel in place. I personaly would worry about excess wear in the index pin area after swapping barrels around so many time, and how is it gaurenteed that the barrel wont be canted once in the upper. too many factors for me to worry about.........
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 5:43:08 PM EDT
[#4]
It has the option of changing the barrel quickly, but I don't see the point, since you'd have to re-zero.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 4:59:11 PM EDT
[#5]
The accuracy question was what I was worried about.  The usefullness of a quick change forened would be lost on anyone who just shoots .223 from their AR.  But if you wanted to switch to maybe a .17 or a 6.8 SPC, it would be pretty cool.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 5:25:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Well guys, there's no sense in all that worrying. I hate worrying about things too.

That's why I just shoot with my MGI QCB, and quit worrying.

Funny, but I never lose zero with mine, and I use 3 different barrels.
I just zeroed the front sight on each barrel the first time I used it.
Then it is already pre-zeroed every time I put each barrel on.
No mess, no fuss.

About the forend "not being so useful", mine is pretty useful.
I have a KAC vertical fore-grip on the bottom, and a Surefire on one of the side rails.
I have plenty of room on the other side rail to add something else, but I really see no point in hanging everything but the kitchen sink on the rails. I have room for everything I need.
What else would be put on there anyway, a laser? There's room if you want it.
For my red-dot sight, I use the cantilevered receiver mount. Works great.
As for wearing out, they have been tested for over 2 years in prototype, with alot of barrel changes, so I don't expect any trouble with that. Jeff Zimba of Small Arms Review magazine has been using his for over a year now, and likes it alot. You can read about it in Nov. when the Dec. issue comes out with a full review.
Switch the barrels for different lengths, twists, contours, and calibers, while still retaining great accuracy and zero.
What's not to like?
Price is very competitive when you consider you have to have entire extra uppers with freefloat handguards for every other barreled upper you'd need to get similar versatility.

Maybe it isn't for everyone. But, then, nothing is.
I'm keeping mine.

BTW, it's really cool to transport an entire M4 in a Zero Halliburton business attache case.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top