Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/19/2004 5:36:44 PM EDT
Bought a Bushmaster AR LEO only with a 14.5 barrel what now? Thought I was buying a 16" HB and that rifle was gone. Do the BM come with the F.H. silver soldered or is that something that needs done before I take delivery? Iam not a LEO nor do I want to Reg. as a SBR.

Link Posted: 9/19/2004 5:42:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Someone sold you a SBR?

That you didn't have the tax form for?

To answer your question, get a phantom/vortex and get it perm attached and you are good to go.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 5:49:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Have not taken delivery,thinking of having upper shipped seperate is that better or should I just ask for a refund?
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 5:54:16 PM EDT
[#3]
just have the store gunsmith prem attch the phantom fh they cost 20 -35 buck then you are good  to go what store in okla is it the m4 will have a better retail latter I live in the enid area
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 5:56:47 PM EDT
[#4]
He doesn't need a stamp to own the barrel, he only needs it if it stays at 14.5 AND assembles it into a weapon.

I say wait and see what it looks like when it arrives.  If it needs to be soldered, have it done then.  You might get lucky and have it already done, my Bushie was.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 6:12:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Does the M4 bushy come with phantom?
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 6:12:36 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Bought a Bushmaster AR LEO only with a 14.5 barrel what now? Thought I was buying a 16" HB and that rifle was gone. Do the BM come with the F.H. silver soldered or is that something that needs done before I take delivery? Iam not a LEO nor do I want to Reg. as a SBR.

Stickman that's what he wrote.
BTW I'm getting all the stuff delivered this week to refinish my AR like your article. Thanks again for the info.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 6:14:19 PM EDT
[#7]
The dealer said it must be perment because he could not have got it that way without papers.

Any feed back?
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 6:17:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Cool then you are good to go.

What are you wanting for feedback? I'm confused. 3 Icehouse beers you see.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 6:21:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Just wondered if anyone knew for sure.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 6:26:05 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
The dealer said it must be perment because he could not have got it that way without papers.

Any feed back?

Never underestimate the Ignorance of FFL dealers  

A standard A1 or A2 Flash hider installed  on a 14.5" barrel is NOT LONG ENOUGH to be
legal - even if permanently attached !

A phantom or Vortex hider is longer and will be legal if PERMANENTLY ATTACHED!
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 6:33:03 PM EDT
[#11]
A rifle without a 16" bbl, is illegal without an NFA tax stamp.

Perm. attached IS accepted, btw.

Example: I have a CAR 15 with a 11.5" bbl and a PERMANETLY attached 5.5" flash supressor. = LEGAL.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 6:39:30 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Any feed back?

I wouldn't count on that statement.

A short barrel, by itself is NOT regulated. Can be bought and sold freely with no problem and no registration required. Where one gets in legal jeopardy, is if one has in their possession one of those 14.5" barrels AND all the parts to build it into a functioning rifle.

Some distributors REQUIRE, on their own, not by law, that you submit a copy of your Form 4 before they will ship you a barrel, and some won't.

In any event, WITHOUT Federal Registration, that barrel needs to be permanently lengthened to 16" or more, with some type of device, in a manner approved by BATF, to be legally possessed WITH a functioning rifle.

Lonny
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 6:50:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks Lonnie, is it slow at the files? Suppose to be a factory complete.

Still wondering if they come from the factory with a Phantom and will this gun have the M4 rails I hear about, could someone explain the rails?
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 6:59:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Which one did you buy?

www.bushmaster.com/le/products.htm
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 7:06:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Bushmaster XM15 E2S M4A3.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 7:15:38 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Thanks Lonnie, is it slow at the files? Suppose to be a factory complete.

Still wondering if they come from the factory with a Phantom and will this gun have the M4 rails I hear about, could someone explain the rails?

Not really, I just recently reacquired another AR-15, after a lapse of a while, and have been hanging around here a lot lately to get back up to speed.

They've changed a bit from the first one I bought in 1974..

Maybe M-4 feed ramps, is what you mean?

Dunno. There are lots of threads here explaining the M-4 feed ramp bit. As Tanker Ted would say, try a search..

Lonny
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 7:46:47 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Stickman that's what he wrote.
BTW I'm getting all the stuff delivered this week to refinish my AR like your article. Thanks again for the info.

Very cool, email or PM me if you have any questions at all.

Back to the Bushie barrel, the first time I ordered mine, they sent a 14.5" w/ A2 FS screwed on.  I sent it back, and eventually they got it right.  Good luck on yours, I hope it works out right.  It isn't a big deal to get it the correct way from the factory.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:37:05 AM EDT
[#18]
Just got off the phone with Bushmaster and they said unless it went straight to a Dept. all the 14.5 barrels had the flash hider permently attached.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 8:58:35 AM EDT
[#19]
Glad to hear it is a non-issue.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 4:38:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Stickman do you know how BM made your F.H. permanent? Thanks! And one more time cause I real suck with the search, but whats makes the M4 rails different?
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:15:13 PM EDT
[#21]
I ordered a M4 A3 upper w/ a 14.5 barrel and birdcage FS from BM about ten days ago.  It came ups five days after I placed the order, no questios asked.  The FS was threaded on.  It came off very easily.  I'm waiting on a Phantom FS to come in the mail, then it's off to the local gunsmith.  Definately Check the barrel. You can ask him to measure it.  If the barrel with FS measures around 15.5 inches, then the FS is probably threaded on, not permanently attached.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:30:08 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Bushmaster XM15 E2S M4A3.

The Bushmaster XM15 E2S M4A2 Type Carbine combines light weight with plenty of .223 caliber firepower. Its chrome lined barrel - designed to mount the M203 Grenade Launcher - offers maximum longevity and accuracy. A telescoping buttstock brings light weight, ease of carrying and quick handling. Mounted on the upper receiver is the latest A2 dual flip-up rear peep sight which is adjustable for both windage and elevation. Forged, lightweight 7075T6 aircraft quality aluminum receivers are designed for simplicity of maintenance and reliability of operation and they incorporate all M16A2 design improvements including cartridge case deflector, last round bolt hold-open and raised ridges for magazine release button protection.                                                
                                                                                                                                                                ******************Depending upon customer preference, the M4 Carbine is available in either safe/semi-auto/full-auto or safe/semi-auto/three-shot burst configurations. ******************                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                A mil. spec. manganese phosphate outer coating insures complete protection against corrosion or rust on the barrel and all other critical steel parts of the weapon.

Well my boy. Did you get the Full-Auto or the Three-Shot burst.
Let me kno how/who I can order one from?  How much did you pay?
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:34:38 PM EDT
[#23]
You see the BM 16" is the patrolman it is SA only. The LEO 14.5 M4's Have the happy switch.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:40:53 PM EDT
[#24]
safe/semi-auto

Watch it GSD your starting to sound like the nightly news, my FFL was telling me today he just returned from Eastern Europe and there they showed a tank when talking about the sunset of the ban.

With a 16" or longer barrel inculding permanent F.H. this rifle is perfectly legal to own.

Was told the flash hider is 1.6". Trying to get the serial number and call BM again.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:08:02 PM EDT
[#25]
GSD got your point it must be the Patrolmans, I will know in the morning!
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 7:00:08 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
He doesn't need a stamp to own the barrel, he only needs it if it stays at 14.5 AND assembles it into a weapon.

I say wait and see what it looks like when it arrives.  If it needs to be soldered, have it done then.  You might get lucky and have it already done, my Bushie was.

That would be correct if we were talking about preban parts and a postban rifle (during the ban) but it is not true when dealing with NFA items.  You have to have a legitimate reason to possess the parts.  ie an AR pistol, m16, or an SBR.  If he has a short rifle barrel and all the parts to make a complete rifle but no AR pistol, AR AOW, m16, or SBR then he can get in big trouble.  

It doesn't matter in this case since he found out that it is perm. attached, but it is a point that should be made.  NFA is a whole different ballgame.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 7:18:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Called BM again and they where positive that the brake is permanet.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top