Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/19/2004 1:32:31 PM EDT
I have heard all of the arguments of who makes the best AR-15 currently on the market.  Olympic, Bushmaster, Colt,  etc???   Please advise and discuss and also explain why the best is teh best.

Jeff Bloodwellhug.gif
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 1:36:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Personally I like Fulton Armory. There seems to be a higher than normal attention to quality and customer support. The also do a fantasic job with the  Garand and M1A.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 1:40:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Get em all and find out for yourself
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 1:45:27 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Get em all and find out for yourself

Link Posted: 9/19/2004 1:46:12 PM EDT
[#4]
... LES BAER is near the top

Link Posted: 9/19/2004 1:53:24 PM EDT
[#5]
The ones built by me are the best. At least I and 2 or 3 others think so.

Danny
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 1:54:09 PM EDT
[#6]
heard that wilson combat or le bear is good....

h/w for the money, BUSHMASTER--get one for yourself, youll see
excellent quality; good CS; reliable; a LOT cheaper than the above
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 1:54:58 PM EDT
[#7]
arsenal of freedom
VULCAN ARMAMENT
the weapons of the special forces!

www.vulcanarmament.com
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 2:03:52 PM EDT
[#8]
I  went for the best, Bushmaster  has  the best uppers, chromed lined barrels and 4150 steel.

That doesnt cost as much as the ones mention above.

TG
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 2:04:06 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
The ones built by me are the best. At least I and 2 or 3 others think so.

Danny

I'll agree.  AR15s that are purpose built by owners seem to have it right!
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 2:08:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Id go bushmaster, its good enough for me.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 2:12:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Colt, Bushy, Armalite, RRA, Les Baer, Wilson, the list goes on, they are all very good. All depends what your intended purpose is and your budget. Can't go wrong with any of them.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 2:22:23 PM EDT
[#12]
American Spirit Arms. A SEAL i met at the gun show told me that all the real operators use them. I heard that Rossi got the contract for the new SOCOM pistol too.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 2:28:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Right!!!
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 2:35:28 PM EDT
[#14]
I like Bushmasters out of the box and have 3 former prebans but I built one from scratch from the best of parts I wanted going by what I replaced on my 3 Bushys.I used an ameetec arms lower,excellent quality and looks and fits just as good as Bushmaster I skipped RRA cause I already have one and dont like the real tight fit.RRA flat top upper and I already had a carry handle RRA also.lower parts,boltcarrier/bolt,telestock assembly and hand guards M4 type al RRA,extractor and ejector are chromed les baer parts,Barrel is a 14.5/phantom Bushmaster barrel.I think if you have the skills and get quality parts a home build can be cheaper and better than what you get from the factory.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 2:42:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 3:13:38 PM EDT
[#16]
I've had nothing but great luck with my Eagle Arms (armalite econo).
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 3:22:17 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
All kidding aside, you cannot go wrong with Colt, LMT and BM...

C4

Grant knows. He's been there. I don't doubt him for a minute.

Danny

P.S. He is an excellent Dealer too!
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 3:31:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 5:00:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Knight's, Les Baer, and Wilson Combat all have very expensive ARs
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 5:07:02 PM EDT
[#20]
I've had colts, Bushy's and DPMS, I like the bushy's but the DPMS are by far the most accurate. The finish is a little different but I like them due to their accuracy.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 9:08:33 PM EDT
[#21]
My views here are well known - if my handle didn't tip you off first, that would be Colt.

But rather than listen to me, a common Law Enforcement Qualified Armorer and Firearms Instructor, have a look at what the "Heavy Hitters" who train the REAL SWAT and Military Operators have to say about all the brands, then investigate for yourself.  I will tell you that NO Manufacturer is absolutely perfect, as Whenever Human Beings Involved = Mistakes will Happen.  Colt just does it better overall, more consistently, due to their Government mandated process.

The Link for Real Professional Opinions is:  

http://www.tacticalforums.com/cgi-bin/tacticalubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=56;t=000497#000000

These guys have the benefit of seeing hundreds of thousands of rounds go downrange every year from hundreds of different rifles over their Pro-Trainer careers.  It isn't heresay and it isn't based on who paid them to say that - in their business, LE and Military, something that doesn't work gets people killed.  Their students go in Harm's Way - and kill people there.

I place more credence in their views than Billy Bob's expertise based on owning one Bushmaster he has a whole thousand rounds through - WhoooHoo.  Most of these guys basic courses run a minimum of 1500 rounds plus in a 4-5 day class - and that's the low round count side.  Most Civilian AR owners have never worked their guns into a sweat - so they don't really know how reliable they are.

As was said during the reign of Ronnie the Great, "Trust, but Verify". (US vs. USSR Arms Control Agreements then.)  Read all you can, but examine the source's credentials, experience and commercial interest in weighing the value of a given point of view.

Warmly, Col. Colt

Link Posted: 9/19/2004 9:19:33 PM EDT
[#22]
LMT, COLT, RRA, BM...  order of pimpness... depends on part...  
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 9:38:47 PM EDT
[#23]

Well, the best ammuntion is MK262, and it generally requires a 1/7" barrel twist.  That narrows the field down.

Here is an old Troy post on ARs that might help you: www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=2&t=163620&w=searchPop

Link Posted: 9/19/2004 10:17:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Col. Colt has a point:

I place more credence in their views than Billy Bob's expertise based on owning one Bushmaster he has a whole thousand rounds through - WhoooHoo

While I fall into his quote, I have owned 4 Colts and 3 Bushmasters, I still own 3 Bushy's and 1 Colt. I have shot at least 10,000 rounds through the years (not in a weekend) mostly through the Colts, primarily an early HBAR, and now working on some Bushys, but not as hard. While I didn't trudge through mud shooting 1,500 rounds a day, I have shot 3 gun matches since 1988 and have seen a butt load of knucklehead's AR's and how they perform through the years. All of this is to get down to why I own Bushys and Colts. I find today's Bushys to be as good as anyone NEEDS for defending oneself (pretty much what the military thinks as well), I don't like today's Colt's silly sear block (is it still in there?) and their different size fire control pins (are still different?) which is why all of my Colts were and still are pre-ban (or is it pre-capitulation?). While the Stoners (I know this is a military rifle, but it isn't what the average GI gets) and the Wilsons and the Les Bauers etc etc are more expensive and usually more accurate (my CLE Bushy w/ a Kreiger isn't a slouch), the Bushy and the Colt's seem to work more often out of the box over the years, IMHO.

Bill (but not Billy Bob)
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 10:22:26 PM EDT
[#25]
ZM weapons!
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 10:24:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Wouldn't it be easier to answer these threads with what not to get????

MT
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 10:25:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Armalite has the best fit and finish I have seen. Better than the Colt LE rifles I have looked at. LMT serves me well.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 10:29:20 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
ZM weapons!

Examined one today. Very nice machining. My brother might be getting one.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 11:37:07 PM EDT
[#29]
whered ya see one? I see your in washington, was it at wades? I know they had one......
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 11:51:05 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
whered ya see one? I see your in washington, was it at wades? I know they had one......

Yeah, looked exactly like the one you posted pics of earlier tonight.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 11:52:21 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Wouldn't it be easier to answer these threads with what not to get????

MT

That would be joeken, and Hesse.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:14:06 AM EDT
[#32]
The one you build yourself.
Figure out what you want it for (combat, target, etc..), come up with a design to fit the need.
Get good parts, and download the manuals and build guides. Put it together yourself and you will understand the rifle inside/out and know the parts that are in it are the best.

Folks here will be happy to help.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 8:54:29 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, looked exactly like the one you posted pics of earlier tonight.

That was me that bought it. I spent all night playing with the folding stock hahah.

so whats a good place to shoot around here? Im new in town (Marines deployed to puget sound)
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top