Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/19/2004 11:49:29 AM EDT
I have a stripped lower - what items and tools do I need to build it out?

I'd like to get a NM trigger, plus anything else I need to build it.

And what would be a good stock (fixed or folding) for target shooting?
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 12:43:14 PM EDT
[#1]
The bare minimum:
Lower parts kit, an upper, a stock, mag, and sights
For the parts kit, I recommend the RRA parts kit with the 2 stage trigger from adcofirearms.com
The upper is entierly up to you, but seeing how you've been with this board for 2 years, I'm sure you have something picked out.
A stock for target shooting...heck, a standard A2 would probably be the best way to go. Don't forget the buffer tube, spring, and buffer.
Sights, likewise, depends on your application. I like flip up irons and a Holosight but you might want a red-dot or some magnification.

Tools:
Roll pin punches
Stock installation tool
Rubber Mallet
Hammer
Detent Installation tool (if you're going that route)
Screwdriver for grip installation

I might be missing something, but I think those are all the tools I used for my lower assembly. Try asking in the Build it Yourself forum.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 1:58:09 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
The bare minimum:
Lower parts kit, an upper, a stock, mag, and sights
For the parts kit, I recommend the RRA parts kit with the 2 stage trigger from adcofirearms.com
The upper is entierly up to you, but seeing how you've been with this board for 2 years, I'm sure you have something picked out.
A stock for target shooting...heck, a standard A2 would probably be the best way to go. Don't forget the buffer tube, spring, and buffer.
Sights, likewise, depends on your application. I like flip up irons and a Holosight but you might want a red-dot or some magnification.

Tools:
Roll pin punches
Stock installation tool
Rubber Mallet
Hammer
Detent Installation tool (if you're going that route)
Screwdriver for grip installation

I might be missing something, but I think those are all the tools I used for my lower assembly. Try asking in the Build it Yourself forum.

I couldnt find any were can i get some. Or can I just use normal punches with out the raised face.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 8:14:57 PM EDT
[#3]
if you have a tool store like harbor freight tools or northern tool & equip. they carry the punches,also sears
if you are not in a hurry brownells sells starrett brand
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:19:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Not only an explanation of what tools you need, but how to do it, in a nice simple format w/ pictures.
Check this out: www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=200688
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 8:03:59 PM EDT
[#5]
The only tools you NEED are a hammer, needlenose pliers, a punch of any size really, and a nail. Thats all I used and it went together PERFECTLY in about 30 minutes.(the nail finishes up the rol pin installation from the flush point to countersunk. The detent installation tool can easily be substituted with anything about the same diameter of the pivot pin hole. I used a drill bit about that size.(use the plastic bag technique, and I taped the drill bit so as to not scratch anything)) If you're gonna build alot of lowers, sure, buy the tools as it might make life easier, but if your only building one or two, save the cash and take your time with the bare essentials. Besides the roll pins, everything else is finger push together. When reading all the posts about this, I thought it was going to be challenging but it couldn't have been easier. On a scale of 1-10, with 1 being as hard as setting a mousetrap, and 10 being rebuilding an overhead cam motor, I would rate this a 3.

For stocks, I highly recommend the magpul M93A. It does everything great, from bench shooting to CQB.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top