Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/19/2004 7:33:26 AM EDT
I am looking to purchase my first AR15.  I was going to get a colt or bushmaster but since I read on here that colt isn't planning on selling LE models as post ban configs now, I am leaning toward bushmaster.

I am thinking about this one directly from thier website:  
16in M4 Type w/ Izzy Flash Suppressor, A3 upper, 30rd mag, tele-stock, flash suppressor, etc.  Part Number: BCWA3F 14M4IZ

Now Since there is also no ban in effect anymore I was wandering about getting a 11.5 in Heavy Barrel Ass. w/ 5.5 in Flash suppressor.  Also from bushmaster part number:  A BBL-11.5WA
Can I legally install this if I bought the above AR?

I live in PA and plan on buying a AR in the next week or two when my local dealers start getting in the new stock of Post Ban ARs.

Thanks,
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 8:07:50 AM EDT
[#1]
If you permanently attach it (or have BM do it for you). That is one long flash supressor though. If you want a bit more range out of your rifle, consider going to a 14.5" barrel and a 1.5" flash supressor permanently attached.
If you're new, shoot the 16" first for a while and try a buddy's SBR. Who knows, you might find out you like it your way more.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 8:14:34 AM EDT
[#2]
If you like the look of the Colt Commando (the 11.5" barrel and 5.5" flash supressor) get a 16" threaded barrel, and find one of the fake 5.5" flash hiders.  It slips over your barrel, so you get the same appearance, but you get the enhanced accuracy and velocity of a 16" barrel.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 8:37:21 AM EDT
[#3]
That is a good idea about the fake 5.5 inch supressor!  Thanks.  Yes I really like the look of the commando.
So I am guessing that it would be a good choice to get a bushy, since no one replied to stay away from them???

Another thing that I would like to do eventually would be to get a scope for it.  Maybe an ACOG.  What would be the best way to mount these?  Take off the carry handle and mount on the rail, or on top of the carry handle?
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 9:21:43 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Another thing that I would like to do eventually would be to get a scope for it.  Maybe an ACOG.  What would be the best way to mount these?  Take off the carry handle and mount on the rail, or on top of the carry handle?

On top of the carry handle is less than ideal. On the rail is also less than ideal if the front sight is in the way. Better get an AR with a fold down or removable front sight.

You better read the Ammo Oracle before getting the short barrel or you might regret it. I'd also shy away from short heavy barrels. It's a contradiction of purposes.

The Colts are available, just harder to find because of Colts policy.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 9:38:06 AM EDT
[#5]
bushamster!

i'd go w/ a 14.5in bbl MINIMUM (even if it was an SBR) w/ a permant FH
but i go w/ a 16 in hbar

good luck
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 9:47:38 AM EDT
[#6]
ACOGS are good to go either way.

A flat top is probably your best bet if you are definitely planning to mount optics.
Otherwise wyou will need a cheekpiece on your stock to get your line of sight up to the optic mounted on a carry handle.  See pic below to see what I mean. Click on the picture for a bigger view.  You can see how high the scope is from the barrel.

Link Posted: 9/19/2004 9:59:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the pic.
I am only looking for accuracy up to 1-200 yards.  This will basically be a home defence weapon but will be plinking with it also.  I guess I would need to buy 2 weapons, hey we can't only live with one, correct?home
The way the bushy ships from factory I believe is a 14.5" bar.  What would be the max distance that I should see accuracy with a scope.  If it is under 300 yards than I should be fine with that.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top