Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/18/2004 6:50:14 PM EDT
Heres the little story. I could post the emails if wanted/needed.  I am planning to build a pistol from a new reciever registered as a pistol (blah blah blah) I was going to order the "Kitty kat" upper(7.5inch barrel A2 type) from DPMSINC.com. There was a little note saying "Class 3 only please" on their page. I figured that this was because they didn't change their page over to the "non-ban" page.  I emailed them an inquiry about purchasing that upper. Their reply was that they would be happy to sell me one, providing I send them a copy of my Class 3 license, or my SBR permit. I sent them a reply stating that it was not a pistol that required a class 3 license, nor a SBR permit.  I thoroughly explained my position and intent in my last email. Considering that was two days ago, and they responded to the first one in under 24 hours, I belive I have been brushed off.  There is a consolation though I think.  Florida gun works has an ad for the identical item, and its a couple hundred dollars cheaper.  Having one DPMS rifle that shoots a 5shot .38" group at 100yards I was interested very much in their shorter assembly. Apperantly, I'll have to buy the other.   Again, I'll post the emails if requested.  Major disappointment.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 8:53:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Call CMMG, INC. they will help you out.

660-248-2293

or go here
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 11:10:08 PM EDT
[#2]
I have no problems getting the lower reciever. The short upper was what the issue was about.  Still probably going to buy the DPMS lower.. I think.. a little unsure about that company for now.   Thought about a Bushie also. Still. Floridagunworks has the exact item, and I'm guessing that they'll sell one to me. More to comehinking.gif
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 11:32:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Have you tried to contact Oly Arms.  Last I checked (before the ban ended), you could purchase their 7.5" pistol upper.  It was the one that had all the recoil stuff in the upper....granted, it was around $500 (maybe more) for the upper.  Same upper that is used on the OA98 (if I recall model).....
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 11:33:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Wow, that's insulting. I bought  a 11.5 inch upper from Bushmaster and had no such bullshit.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 11:39:29 PM EDT
[#5]

Listed $595.00
6.5" barrel....short..... too short I think...

Sellers who require this and that usually are just doing a CYA.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 3:53:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Oh yeah. 6.5" barrel too short. The one I will be working on will look just like a "Midget M16" when finished. A2 FSB and all.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 6:43:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 8:33:30 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Having  reviewed the requests for pistol upper assys,DPMS will be offering 7" upper assy's for AR pistols. They will be available with A2 or A3 upper recievers and 4 3/4" free float handgaurd with and upgrade available for 4 rail 4 3/4 FF tube. Uppers will be available in aprox 4-6 weeks. Contact DPMS  At 1-880-578-3767 or [email protected]. to place your order.
DPMS Tech Sales

THANK YOU!
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 11:22:59 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Having  reviewed the requests for pistol upper assys,DPMS will be offering 7" upper assy's for AR pistols. They will be available with A2 or A3 upper recievers and 4 3/4" free float handgaurd with and upgrade available for 4 rail 4 3/4 FF tube. Uppers will be available in aprox 4-6 weeks. Contact DPMS  At 1-880-578-3767 or [email protected]. to place your order.
DPMS Tech Sales

If the kitty kat uppers are available now why the wait? I don't understand what is different about the 7" pistol uppers vs the 7" SBR uppers? Not trying to be rude, but what makes these different?
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 11:26:23 AM EDT
[#10]
shop with another company....problem solved!
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 11:39:49 AM EDT
[#11]
go to www.cmmginc.com and they have the DPMS kitty Kat upper listed. There products are top notch and only matched by there service and prices.

jerad

Link Posted: 9/21/2004 11:57:23 AM EDT
[#12]
I had the same BS reply from DPMS when I tried to order an M16 bolt for my AR. "That's illegal Sir.."
We went back and forth and I finally said forget it. Got a LMT bolt. Much better quality and zero grief.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 8:42:34 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
DPMS Tech Sales

If the kitty kat uppers are available now why the wait? I don't understand what is different about the 7" pistol uppers vs the 7" SBR uppers? Not trying to be rude, but what makes these different?

In my opinion, NOTHING.  An upper is an upper.  Under 16" w/ a pistol, fine.... but w/ a rifle.... it's an SBR.

Untill the ban expired on the 13th, anyone buying such an upper would "most likely" be using it for a SBR... as 'pre ban' type AR pistols were not very common.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top