Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/18/2004 5:49:52 PM EDT
How can you tell if a Vortex FH is a true Smith Vortex ???? I got one today at the local fun show, but the prongs are all straight. Looking at it from the end they do have a weird stagard look to them and are cut at an angle inside the FH. Looking at all the pics, all the Vortex FHs i can come up with are all twisty looking.  This one has the two rings at the rear of it kinda like the Phantom.. Any info would be great.... It still looks sweet, but im trying to decide which FH; the Vortex or the Phantom i want on which rifle.........
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 5:51:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 5:54:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Without pix its hard to say...1 thing to consider is most folks are out of real Smiths' since the military has priority so if you got it REAL Cheap you probably got a knock off.  Not to say that it won't work or anything...

FYI-Grant is also out of stock.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 6:09:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Wouldnt consider 35.00 real cheap, was kinda why I was interested.  Dealer at the show , P.K. firearms had all sorts of name brand stuff. had KAC, GG&G, ARMS, aimpoint, Trijicon and all kinds of other stuff. he had the only Vortex at the show.  It kinda looks like the one thay have here www.jtdistributing.com/ar15/flashiders-muzzlebrakes.shtml ..... Just wondering how well it works. Im gona try it out tomarrow night I guess, will see which works best. Will XM193 put off a good flame if it doesnt work?
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 6:18:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Tap it with your finger. If it pings, it's heat treated, and more likely a real deal. Of course, heat treated copies have been showing up on the market.. at which point it may be functionally the same.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top