Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/18/2004 5:14:16 PM EDT
I have on order a new Bushmaster M4A3 16".  I want a forend grip with rails.  Who makes a decent grip?  It is not FF, it is just the standard style 2-piece grip.  

I appreciate any info you can give me.

Thanks

Will
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 5:26:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I bought the Surefire M73. Its not a FF forend but it is rock solid. The price is also reasonable at less than $200.00.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 5:31:10 PM EDT
[#2]
YHM's 2 CAR piece handguard/rail system is excellent for the money.
Look in the EE and you'll find it for approx $115.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 5:33:29 PM EDT
[#3]
The Bushmaster  B.M.A.S.  rails are nice and tight  on my M4 ,not freefloat . I bought mine used for $125  Bushmaster wants $180.  No rail guards come with them.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 5:50:10 PM EDT
[#4]
I am pretty sure  the BMAS and the YHM 2 piece quad rail handguards are one and the same. YHM makes them for BM.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 5:57:57 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I am pretty sure  the BMAS and the YHM 2 piece quad rail handguards are one and the same. YHM makes them for BM.

+1

notice Bushmaster's stock # "YHM-xxxxx"
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 6:02:02 PM EDT
[#6]
+1 for YHM.

This is my Bushy M4A3 with YHM freefloat four-rail fore-end.  Chris at Eagle Arms put it on for me.

Link Posted: 9/18/2004 6:19:08 PM EDT
[#7]
I was going to mention  check the BM catalog for the YHM part #.  Chris Rose put my YHM FF on my RRA too. Really happy with it too  Not to hijack this thread but  EDGE 767 do you havppen to know the specs on the  cross bolt in your Veritcal grip? I have the same one and my wife threw away the bolt along with  numerous other  misc parts and pieces.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 7:56:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Here's the Surefire M73 on a RRA:

Looks pretty darn close to Edge767's M4.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 8:06:10 PM EDT
[#9]
+1 YHM

Link Posted: 9/18/2004 10:43:34 PM EDT
[#10]
I went with the Knight's Armament RAS II system. It cost $275 for the SHOT Show special package deal, which included the free floated rail system, 3 11 rib (full length) panels, 1 6 rib panel, and a Knight's vertical grip. So far it seems rock solid and won't ever droop or move. The great thing about it is that you can install it without any special tools and without removing your front sight base. It's an excellent rail system if you ever plan on using an Aimpoint with it. Both LaRue and Knight's Armament make low profile mounts for use with the Aimpoint M2 in conjunction with the RAS II. Personally I'm going to get a LaRue mount in a few weeks when I buy mine. Or if you prefer, you can still use an ACOG scope.

Note, just because this system is free floated doesn't mean you can't use it. All you have to do is remove your old hanguards and clamp the top piece onto your barrel nut and flat top rail. Then you slide in the bottom portion and clamp it to your barrel nut too. This doesn't require any special tools or know how. All you need is basic mechanical ability, the provided allen wrench, and a flat head screw driver to tighten the flattop rail clamp. The benefit of a free floated tube is generally a slight increase in accuracy since nothing is touching/pulling on the barrel itself.

Here's my rifle:
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 11:01:52 PM EDT
[#11]
+1 for the YHM

Link Posted: 9/19/2004 3:46:21 AM EDT
[#12]
+1 for Yankee Hill - also, their customer service is fantastic.

Tony

www.yankeehillmachine.com
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 5:03:45 AM EDT
[#13]
Another YHM fan here.

Link Posted: 9/19/2004 5:28:46 AM EDT
[#14]
+1 for YHM from me too.

Wanting to build a "budget" M4gery with all the bells and whistles limited my options a bit, but it works, and works well.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 5:58:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Do the YHM/BMAS split or is it something that i have to remove the front sight for? I figure that they are not free float, but am not sure.  
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 6:05:32 AM EDT
[#16]
They are 2 pieces and are installed like standard handguards.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 6:22:44 AM EDT
[#17]
I've got both of the C-More "carbine" length and "rifle" length FF rail systems that I've been sitting on for a while (got a great deal on them both) and now want to get them installed since I'm building up a couple of post-AWB ARs.  The C-Mores are once-piece rail systems, but they look very similar to the YHM two-piece rail system in size and shape.  Can anyone verify this?  Also, which rail covers will work with the C-More rail systems?  Not trying to hijack the thread, just thought I'd toss another option into the mix while asking a question about it.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 8:21:49 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Do the YHM/BMAS split or is it something that i have to remove the front sight for? I figure that they are not free float, but am not sure.  

A quick way to tell is to look at the delta ring.(the spring loaded ring just in front of the upper receiver)
If you see a picture of a gun with the normal "sloping" (for lack of a better term, delta ring, then the handguard is likely a 2-piece that attaches just like plastic handguards.  Here is an example from one of the above messages:

And if the "Delta Ring" is flat sided, as below, it is actually a locking ring for a free float barrel. Like this:

Link Posted: 9/19/2004 8:25:58 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I've got both of the C-More "carbine" length and "rifle" length FF rail systems that I've been sitting on for a while (got a great deal on them both) and now want to get them installed since I'm building up a couple of post-AWB ARs.  The C-Mores are once-piece rail systems, but they look very similar to the YHM two-piece rail system in size and shape.  Can anyone verify this?  Also, which rail covers will work with the C-More rail systems?  Not trying to hijack the thread, just thought I'd toss another option into the mix while asking a question about it.  Thanks.

They should both be built to gov't spec, or very close, so the rails should be similar. (there was an issue with YHM 2-piece rails being shallow a couple months ago, but all new ones are to gov't profile)  What that meant was you had to do a little filing or sanding on a couple diffeerent attachemnts to make them fit.  One notorious piece was the Tango Down Vertical Grip, which was a little too tight to get on, otherwise.  It was the only one I've heard that had a problem though.

Magpul covers should fit fine, as the rails should be very similar in dimension, as I mentioned above.
You could always dump them in the EE if you don't like them.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 9:03:53 AM EDT
[#20]
+1 on YHM  You can't beat the price and they (2-piece) fit super tight.  I got mine from Brightflashlights along with the GG&G forward grip.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top