Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/18/2004 5:00:30 PM EDT
I just found this:

The U.S. Army ARDEC, Picatinny Arsenal, NJ 07806 has a requirement for the manufacture and delivery of approximately 63 M4A1 Carbines by replacing the current anodizing and phosphate coating methods applied to the individual components in the M4A1 weapon system. Three M4A1 Carbines will be manufactured and delivered using the current coating. The remaining 60 will have a replacement coating of Nickel Boride. The government intends to solicit and negotiate on a sole source basis with Colt Defense LLC, West Hartford Connecticut. This notice of intent is not a request for competitive proposals.

Any comments?
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 5:46:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Not exactly sure what sort of comments you are looking for?
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 8:38:48 PM EDT
[#2]
This is first I've heard of applying Nickel Boride to a firearm (or any thing else for that matter).  I was wondering if any of the more technically minded folks had run across it and had any comments pro or con about the finish.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 8:52:01 PM EDT
[#3]
This is the best that I could get through Google:

www.secoatech.com/listing/Mat_Ref_Chart_5.pdf
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 10:06:31 PM EDT
[#4]
NiB when properly applied and heat treated can offer a similar wear and corrosian resistance to hard chrome. The true benefit is that like its electroless nickel counterpart if delivers a much more controlled and uniform coating. This could greatly reduce the bore and rifling uniformity problems associated with hard chrome. The end result is a more accurate barrel without a loss in protective qualities. I would really like to see how it works in real world applications.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 7:38:09 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
NiB when properly applied and heat treated can offer a similar wear and corrosian resistance to hard chrome. The true benefit is that like its electroless nickel counterpart if delivers a much more controlled and uniform coating. This could greatly reduce the bore and rifling uniformity problems associated with hard chrome. The end result is a more accurate barrel without a loss in protective qualities. I would really like to see how it works in real world applications.

True, except they are not talking about replacing the chrome lining of a barrel, but replacing the current anodized coating of the aluminum upper/lower receivers with the nickel boride.

This will be interesting, since NiB has superb wearability, lubricity and corrosion resistance and can be plated to aluminum. I wonder if there is a way to color it and eliminate the gloss, or whether they will apply a secondary coating of something like Norrell's/GunKote or something similar.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 8:06:38 AM EDT
[#6]
www.imageseek.com/m1a/
Go to PHOTO GALLERY, COMMERICAL TYPE and then to PAGE 9
On the bottom of the page, first two pics there are  a ROCK SOPMOD M14 with the finish. This is the only weapon I have seen with it. Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 8:56:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top