Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/18/2004 4:48:48 PM EDT

I'd like to build an AR pistol, (no stock, totally legal).  I have a Olyarms 9mm upper that I don't use anymore and would like to utilize for this for my pistol project.  It is 16 inches.  I'd like to cut it down to 10 or so inches for my pistol project.  Is this something I can do on my own?  If so, what would be the best thing to cut it down with?  I don't have a lathe which I assume would be ideal.  If cut down (with a hacksaw for example?) will the barrel loose accuracy without a proper crown?

If it is not feasable to do this myself at home, where could I sent it to have it cut down and threaded?  I already contacted Olyarms and they do not do this service, so please point me in a good direction if you have had a good experience with someone online for this service.

Any advice/help is greatly appreciated.

Rockclimbg
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 6:02:44 PM EDT
[#1]
I contact these places and ask for a price quote:

Kurts Kustom Firearms

ADCO
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 1:30:30 PM EDT
[#2]
One of the issues many many people have when cutting down their barrel is the gas system.  The gas ports are designed to work with a certain length of barrel.  If you were to chop of 6 inches of barrel I would think that you would have some serious cycling issues.  Your best bet for this is to gat a pistol barrel and have it installed on your upper.  This should be much more reliable.

Sarge
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 1:54:42 PM EDT
[#3]
SAWZALL!!!
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 2:23:37 PM EDT
[#4]
If you do it your self be carefull ive seen chrome flake off from being carelessly cut through.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:56:32 AM EDT
[#5]

One of the issues many many people have when cutting down their barrel is the gas system.

Shoudn't be an issue here as we are already talking a 9mm blowback weapon.

You can probably just use a hacksaw to cut, but you'll also want to square it off and crown it.  Brownells sells tools for this, but it will be cheaper to just have someone else do the work.

If you still want to do it yourself, let me know as I could use the tools.  Perhaps we can work out a deal to split costs in some fashion.  
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top