Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/18/2004 2:48:36 PM EDT
So before the ban, I tried interchanging stocks and uppers.  Things worked pretty well in terms of swapping the uppers and lowers.  Stock changeover was a bit more difficult due to the funky shape of the carbon lower's proprietary stock tab.  So the ban sunsets, and I have the opportunity to try again.  I used the ACE M4 SOCOM stock.  NewARGuy was kind enough to let me test it at his shop.  Worked flawlessly.  All you need to swap stocks is the correct buffer, spring, and a standard bolt carrier.  The Carbon Bolt works fine in the standard carrier.  Here's some picks for anyone contemplating the same thing.

Link Posted: 9/18/2004 3:09:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Some good info, thanks.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 3:30:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Awesome!

I was thinking of getting a Carbon, but hated the stock.  Maybe I'll have to get one now.  Great pictures, too.

[credit card calls to me] Yeesss, yessss Carbon.  [/credit card calls to me]

Alpine
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 4:46:29 PM EDT
[#3]
i love the handguards on that baby! wish i could one of those.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 10:44:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Let me get this straight.  To do the stock swap, you use:

Standard Carbine Buffer
Standard Carbine Buffer Spring
Standard Bolt Carrier
Carbon-15 Bolt
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 11:02:47 AM EDT
[#5]
That's everything.  You may have to Dremel on either the locking tab or the lower to match shapes, but otherwise, you've got it.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 1:16:50 PM EDT
[#6]
What about the buffer retainer?
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 10:12:58 PM EDT
[#7]
What you see in the picture is what I put in my rifle.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 3:27:43 AM EDT
[#8]
If there is no buffer retainer, what happens when you pivot open the upper and lower?
Does the buffer spring out as shown in the picture?
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 5:25:34 AM EDT
[#9]
There is no retainer.  The Carbon is not set up for one.  No hole in the lower for the pin.  That missing pin has been my most consistent rant about the Carbon series.  However, if I open it slowly, the bolt consistently catches on the hammer, keeping it from launching.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 7:10:11 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
There is no retainer.  The Carbon is not set up for one.  No hole in the lower for the pin.  That missing pin has been my most consistent rant about the Carbon series.  However, if I open it slowly, the bolt consistently catches on the hammer, keeping it from launching.

But what happens if i have to do a Tactical Speed Cleaning?
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 9:16:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Hopefully you have tactical speed reflexes...
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 11:58:02 AM EDT
[#12]
nice work!

i had a carbon 15 a while back and never would have thought that would work.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 2:39:52 AM EDT
[#13]
JohnnyEgo forgot to mention that when go from Carbon 15 stock to regular length ACE, in addition, you need a Receiver Extension to slide the foam sleeve over, regular length buffer and spring, a new standard Bolt carrier ($80), and the Carbon 15 bolt.  E-mail to Bushmaster confirmed this.

He went to SOCOM ACE and that comes with a short buffer, spring, and receiver extension.

I'm going instead to a pneumatic adjustable recoil buffer to replace the buffer spring ($125) from Olympic Arms.

Nothing worse than misleading on incomplete info.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 2:46:04 AM EDT
[#14]
Hold up turboman, don't go alol tactical on his ass because you didn't think about how your project was different and adjust accordingly. He never said shit about a full length system, and he did say you needed a new carrier.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 6:25:41 AM EDT
[#15]
Thank you, Combat_Jack.  Some folks lack good reading comprehension skills.  

I find Turboman's posts somewhat disconcerting, as I responded to three e-mails and two instant messages from him in an attempt to help him get the correct parts HE needed to put his ACE ARFX stock on his rifle.  I'm hoping maybe it's just an off day for him.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top