Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/18/2004 2:04:36 PM EDT

I have 2 Colt match targets, and am looking to buy at least 2 more ars in the next couple months.

I would like your opinions on DPMS,,,and not just "Their great!" or "they suck!"

Please elaborate on what you like or don`t like about them.

Thanks

Link Posted: 9/18/2004 3:39:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Hi,
 I really like the consistency of the Teflon finish on the receivers. I don't like the chrome plated bolt carrier group(I think this may be a standard feature now). Be wary of some models, as sometimes one of the receivers is forged, whilst the other  could be cast. Specify a model that is all forged aluminum.
 The front sight base on most DPMS models is cast steel vs forged. There again, forged is stronger.
 DPMS has a very short list of acceptable ammo recommended in their products. Be aware of this.
 They are purty. If looks is important, really check them out.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 4:02:12 PM EDT
[#2]
they have chrome lined barrels available..make sure check which kind you're getting.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 8:03:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Pat Rogers has reported repeated bolt failures and
overly tight chambers with DPMS carbines.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 8:17:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 8:27:30 PM EDT
[#5]
I have one and have shot anything under the sun.  I think as a whole they are fantastice AR's they just have a slightly higher lemon count.  i figure this is mainly because they assemble AR's from the parts of various manufacturers.  I also prefer the teflon finish and heve noted the larger amount of DPMS rifles at the Natl matches.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 8:34:14 PM EDT
[#6]
I have 500 rnds through a DPMS, no problems.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 8:50:52 PM EDT
[#7]
I had two DPMS rifles, key word being HAD

I have never had a rifle that was semi automatic, the was more like a reincarnated muzzle loader, until I owned a DPMS.  The two that I owned end up back in their shop many more times then I got to shoot them.  
Chambers are tight, and I have noticed this on Full Auto versions also.  I cant believe they actually sell them to police departments where someone is going to have to put their life in the hands of a rifle that can not seem to get more than  one or two shots off and then have to ram a cleaning rod down the barrel to get the spent casing out.  Their (DPMS) response usally is bad ammo, or the chamber is dirty. As far as that goes I have a ArmaLite M15A2, that had 14,000 rounds through it before I cleaned it, It had ate every type of ammo never once was there a FTF, FTE, etc.....just keeps on runing and runing. I seen this first hand today at our local Machine Gun shoot .

My advice is to look at Colts, ArmaLites, or maybe even a LMT. I just dont think much of DPMS latley and would never give any of their products plug.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 10:03:46 PM EDT
[#8]
heard their tire 1 stuff is pretty good

just get it chroam; forged; cheap

personally, i'll stick w/ bushamster
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 10:38:10 PM EDT
[#9]
I have one of their 20" A3 7.62x39 uppers on my AR-47. Works well, no problems. Finish is excellent.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 3:32:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Classic A2. Cost $725, had it two years now, about 8,000 rounds and going strong.

- Teflon finish is tough, gorgeous and easy to clean
- Very accurate for a "no frills" model
- Tight fit, solid feel

Dislikes:
- Chromed bolt carrier was hard on bolt cam pin and gas rings. Replaced it with a standard phosphated carrier.

Company's production philosophy seems to be toward maximizing accuracy, so tight fit and tight chamber can sometimes be an issue, especially with cheap, low powered ammo. Never an issue with milspec 5.56 and quality .223 ammo, however. 1x9 barrel does very well with 55gr, but shines with 62gr and 69gr. If this kind of accuracy can be achieved with their no-frills model, can only wonder what their match grade rifles are like.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 4:07:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Had two bad experiences with ARMS. A few years ago I purchased one of their stainless steel lowers for a project. The hole for the roll pin that holds in the mag catch was drilled crooked. I called them. They gave me a BS excuse and didn't offer to make it right. No customer service.  I had to grind a considerable portion of the mag catch away to get it to fit and function.

Recently, I ordered a DPMS .308 for a friend. Warned him about them but he insisted. Right out of the box I found a serious problem. The floater tube was pushing against the top of  the gas block. Barrel wasn't free floated. He called them. They said it must have been bent in shipment. BS.  The tube was manufactured with a bend in it.  I machined off  a bit of metal from the muzzle end of the tube to free float  the barrel.  Also, the plastic mags are crap.  If there is any pressure on the mag when you fire the rifle becomes a single shot.  Seems to be accurate but  until the steel mags appear its pretty much useless.

My take on DPMS is that they cut corners on quality control to keep prices down. And their customer service is non-existant.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 4:45:23 AM EDT
[#12]
well i must have lucked out. i have good luck. i have had and still have 3 dpms. i have 1 colt and 1 bushmaster and at a time had 5 dpms. im having another dpms built as week speak.  i  like the forge lowers allot. i did get one yesterday that is really tight though i am watching it i hope it will loosen up when i shoot it. im in a great spot all my Dpms comes form the greatest guys you can ever think of buying ar stuff from CMMG. so if i ever have a problem i know it will be fixed or the will be on the phone to dpms. also Dpms s one of the good guys the donated a complete rifle for our last modcc shoot. which was yesterday, 'shameless plug check out the pics in the gd'. so i have had 4 that were trouble free. i did have 1 that front sight wasn't tapped enough and it sheered a front sight. it was sent back and a new one complete upper was back before ups picked up the bad upper. i do have to agree the chrome bolts is taking some getting used to. Ronald
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 4:49:29 AM EDT
[#13]
I've got a DPMS 308 with the 24" bull upper and a 16" carbine upper.  I have yet to have a problem with the 24" (about 2K on the round count) and had some moderate difficulty with the 16".  16" short stroked the first 500 rds.  I sent it back to the factory--I got it back within 5 days which I would normally call phenominal service....but it was still broke.  I know it wasn't the lower because it works as advertised with my 24" upper.  I fixed it by installing a $60 adjustable gas tube from Fulton Armory, and haven't had a problem since.  (close to 1.5K round count now)

I got a really good rifle, and I got a lemon upper (that I fixed but shouldn't have had to)  so I guess you could say I have 50/50 experience with DPMS.  I personally don't mind tinkering a little, but I wasn't too happy having to buy parts to make my upper run.

On the plus side, both the 16" and the 24" are INCREDIBLY accurate, and even surpass my Mod 70 bolt gun in that category!  100 yd cloverleaf groups are the rule, not the exception as long as I do my part and use quality ammo.  My 24" seems to prefer 168 gr Federal Match, and the 16" likes 168 gr Winchester Silvertip
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 6:41:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Well, the DPMS rifle I have hasn't had any problems, but then again it is a DPMS, CMT, Bushmaster, Colt thing now.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 7:02:18 PM EDT
[#15]
I have had several, never had an issue.  I just put 15 breakin rounds through my first build rifle, all dpms and it ran awesome
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 7:02:33 PM EDT
[#16]
I own a Bushmaster M4  clone,also have a CMMG/DPMS  upper,thats made of 41-50 steel chromed lined 1/7 twist  and M4 feed ramps, it  hasnt giving me any  problems.

TG
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 7:18:55 PM EDT
[#17]
I have a DPMS A2 carbine. I have put 400 rounds through it and have had no problems, I put about 300 rounds of Winchester 55gr FMJ (Walmart value paks) and 100 rounds of some Black Hills 55gr FMJ. I will not try Wolf, even the Polymer stuff do to isolated problems with DPMS firearms. It is my first AR, I paid $769 for it. Would I buy one again? I'm, not sure, I like mine but I'm eyeing RRA for my next one which will have a 20" chromed-lined barrel.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 7:33:29 PM EDT
[#18]
I have two and they have both functioned perfectly.  I am about to have one more, an AP4, as well.  That's what I like, they work!!!!!    

I would recommend!!  

Stick with DPMS, Bushy, RRA, Armalite, or Colt and you will be fine.    
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 7:40:37 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
heard their tire 1 stuff is pretty good

just get it chroam; forged; cheap

personally, i'll stick w/ bushamster

I heard that Richard Gere had a "Bushamster" up his ass once.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 8:06:39 PM EDT
[#20]
I have a DPMS forged lower with a bushmaster dissi upper on it.  I have shot the crap outta it no problems.  I do have a problem with my bushy upper.  Seems the barrel indexing is off somewhat.  I called them and they seemed willing to fix it no problems.  I just hear it takes a while for them to send your stuff back.  I haven't sent it back yet cause I enjoy shooting it.  I have one of those cheap leapers AR-15 scopes on it right now so the windage isnt so much an issue.  Huh, I am surprised the cheap scope does as good...anyway, the DPMS lowers has a good finish but the trigger pull is kinda tight...cant get it to bump-off like I can my AK...good luck with whatever you do...

Wes
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 8:51:28 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Classic A2. Cost $725, had it two years now, about 8,000 rounds and going strong.

- Teflon finish is tough, gorgeous and easy to clean
- Very accurate for a "no frills" model
- Tight fit, solid feel

Dislikes:
- Chromed bolt carrier was hard on bolt cam pin and gas rings. Replaced it with a standard phosphated carrier.

Company's production philosophy seems to be toward maximizing accuracy, so tight fit and tight chamber can sometimes be an issue, especially with cheap, low powered ammo. Never an issue with milspec 5.56 and quality .223 ammo, however. 1x9 barrel does very well with 55gr, but shines with 62gr and 69gr. If this kind of accuracy can be achieved with their no-frills model, can only wonder what their match grade rifles are like.

---------
I can basically support this position although I have only about 2,500 rounds through my DPMS weapon.  It has a Smith Enterprise hard chrome bolt carrier and bolt.  Accuracy with a Leupold CQ/T is truly exceptional and reliability with service ammo is top notch.  Indeed, accuracy with quality ammo of course, seems to be the firm's forte with this weapon. Vortex G6A2 goes on tomorrow.  Lothar Walther barrel goes on in a couple of months.  
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 9:45:43 PM EDT
[#22]
I have six DPMS rifles in my safe, three originals and three builds. I have had no problems with any of them. the only time I have ever had a issue with any of my AR's is with shit ammo. Wolf and some surplus  IMG. That stuff would not run in anything but My Bushmaster 20" HBar upper that was a gift from the USMC.
I have heard horror stories about them but don't see any quality issues. Last year I bought several stripped lowers in anticapation of a worse AWB. I love my Bushmasters and when I could only get one LEO 6920, I was able to get three LEO BBshys for just over 800 each. I would choose my bushy with a 16" pencil over any of my Colts any day.....
As long as you break it in and clean them good they should do just fine
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 11:50:42 PM EDT
[#23]
I have a DPMS forged lower that I put a Colt H-Bar upper on.  Shoots fine.  The only thing I found with the DPMS lower was the mag well was tight, and mags wouldn't drop free.  I haven't used it that much, but the more I do use it, the smoother the mag well gets and the easier the mags drop out when I exchange them. As to the finnish and overall qaulity of the lower, it seems to be put together pretty well.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top