Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/18/2004 1:36:19 PM EDT
Since everyone is talking about adding various features to their rifles, I know at some point this has been discussed (probably ad neauseum) here, but with the sunset of the AWB I thought I'd ask.  Which do you prefer and why.

Since I have both a pre-1994 ban and post 1994-ban rifle I have used both.  I think I actually like the standard fixed stock better.  I find I get a better cheek to stock weld, it's more comfortable (for me) and I don't worry about having to adjust it.   The down side to it is I can't put my 3-point MP5 style sling on it, like on my collapsing stock style, unless I drill a mount/swivel into the stock. (I know there are slings that wrap round the but stock to make the 3 point system possible, I just haven't found one I like yet.)

Anyway poll comming.

Link Posted: 9/18/2004 1:58:09 PM EDT
[#1]
I have both, but I like the adj SOCOM stock better.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 2:11:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Get a Magpul, best of both worlds.  Just as solid as a fixed, but slides in to be more compact and adjustable like a collapsible.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 2:16:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Personally I like both, but it really depends on whatever applications you want to use your rifle for.  I have a A2 stock for the longest time.  The stock works great, but in winter time I wished for a shorter stock.  My hunting jacket made it hard to shoot.  But I'm going to upgrade to a collapsible because I think it would be more helpful during winter shoots, way better for home defense, and  lastly cause they told me I couldn't have it and so I wanted to piss the safety nazi's off! Just my 2cents
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 2:59:43 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Get a Magpul, best of both worlds.  Just as solid as a fixed, but slides in to be more compact and adjustable like a collapsible.

+1. This comment is right on money.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 3:01:32 PM EDT
[#5]
smokycity, you have to try a Magpul M-93A. I would bet it will give you everything you want from a stock.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 3:19:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Here's a link for an excellent single point sling set-up:www.tacticallink.com/
I put this on my new "no ban" build and I love it. No worries about being hooked to the barrel to mess with accuracy, no worries about being hooked to the stock when you extend or retrack it. This is a killer set-up.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 3:37:12 PM EDT
[#7]
I think a telescoping is cool, but if I had to go to war, a standard A2 stock would be the one.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 4:21:54 PM EDT
[#8]
I love my ACE M4 SOCOM.  Very comfortable.  However, I do not plan on changing any of the stocks on my SPRish and other long distance ARs.  The regular stocks seem more comfortable and more stable when I am shooting with a bipod.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 10:42:33 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I think a telescoping is cool, but if I had to go to war, a standard A2 stock would be the one.

+1
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 10:44:58 PM EDT
[#10]
A collapable stock:
-Looks better
-Is adjustable (important for some, not for others")
-Isn't as "sproingy"
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 11:08:15 PM EDT
[#11]
collapsable stocks rock, the only thing is the stock(moving part) wiggles and rattles a bit, but then theat may be my cheap one.....if they didn't wigle 100% collapsable
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 12:30:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Vltor fixed all the way.  I choke up on the rifle (nose on charging handle) so tele stocks make my face ride the receiver extension; and that is why I feel very uncomfortable .
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 2:47:29 AM EDT
[#13]
If parachuting, vehicle ops, diving/surface swimming, Alpine skiing, wearing body armor, close quarter fighting then I'll want the collaspable stock.  For teaching my 11 year old son also a colllaspable stock.  If for varminting and other long range target work then a fix stock suits me fine.  Humping a ruck either one works but lighter the better.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 5:49:56 AM EDT
[#14]
I like the standard M4 stock. I have no cheek weld issues with the collapsible stocks. If you are less than 6 foot 2" a shorter than A2 length stock is absolutely needed fro a proper combat shooting stance. Most of the guys I see using A2 stocks are shooting in a sporting stance.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 5:52:16 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
collapsable stocks rock, the only thing is the stock(moving part) wiggles and rattles a bit, but then theat may be my cheap one.....if they didn't wigle 100% collapsable

Magpul 93A
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 5:52:49 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Vltor fixed all the way.  I choke up on the rifle (nose on charging handle) so tele stocks make my face ride the receiver extension; and it is that why I feel very uncomfortable .

Magpul 93A
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 6:11:28 AM EDT
[#17]
all 3 of my AR's have collapsible stocks... but I only seem to shoot them fully extended.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 6:12:04 AM EDT
[#18]
In case you still haven't gotten the hint, get a Magpul.  Any of the problems most people have had with traditional collapsible stock s will more than likely be adressed by the M93A.  It may cost more, but it is well worth the money.  
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 6:57:59 AM EDT
[#19]
I prefer the A1 stock myself.....

Brad
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 6:59:10 AM EDT
[#20]
My 6pos RRA stock actually has a little longer LOP  than a A2 stock I found. That was my biggest concern about getting one being a little on the tall side.  The collapsible stock also will make it easier to get younger/ smaller stature shooters into the sport and aids in storage.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 7:12:25 AM EDT
[#21]
I had no idea that the M-4 styled stock was different than the CAR style.  But thanks to the arfcom, I saw the light and bought one the same hour.  I hated the CAR because of the small foot print.  The M-4 has the same footprint of the A-2 and is collapsible.  Now I need two more........

seems like many are out of .....stock.  
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 7:17:23 AM EDT
[#22]
Another vote for the Magpul M93A.

I shoot all year long, t-shirt in summer and heavy jacket in winter.  Need different lengths.  

Plus my arms shrink in the winter also.  
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 8:24:47 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I prefer the A1 stock myself...

+1

A1 stock w/ A2 trapdoor plate.  KISS, all the way.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 11:46:31 AM EDT
[#24]
After getting a magpul stock, I can see absolutely no advantage to having a fixed stock. The M93 is just as sturdy as any fixed stock, does not rattle or creak whatsoever, and the wide cheek weld is more comfortable than a standard stock BY FAR, and is constant no matter what position the stock is in. I know alot of you may have a bitter tast in your mouths from the junk ass collapsing stocks out there, but try a magpul and you'll never look back.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 12:45:40 PM EDT
[#25]
for all of you people who said you like fixed stocks better than collapsibles... you haven't got a magpul stock yet then...  
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 12:46:15 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
After getting a magpul stock, I can see absolutely no advantage to having a fixed stock. The M93 is just as sturdy as any fixed stock, does not rattle or creak whatsoever, and the wide cheek weld is more comfortable than a standard stock BY FAR, and is constant no matter what position the stock is in. I know alot of you may have a bitter tast in your mouths from the junk ass collapsing stocks out there, but try a magpul and you'll never look back.

amen
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 12:49:38 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
I prefer the A1 stock myself.....

Brad

+2
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 4:58:18 PM EDT
[#28]
OK,  where does one purchase a Magpul M93A CAR stock?
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 5:00:47 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
OK,  where does one purchase a Magpul M93A CAR stock?

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=22&t=221567
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 5:12:01 PM EDT
[#30]
I got mine from Bravo Company and got a free car spring and heavy buffer, and it was still as cheeap as anywhere else, not to mention that Paul at bravo company is one of the most pleasant people I've ever dealt with. Highly recommended
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 5:25:51 PM EDT
[#31]
Versatility...Survey says........#1 answer. Collapsable
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top