Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/17/2004 3:13:29 PM EDT
Do you guys have any tips on how to silence the spring noise in the buttstock, everytime you fire the AR?

Do you think I could wrap elctrical tape on each of the coils? Or would that bunch up after time?

Thanks,
kc
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 3:53:59 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Do you guys have any tips on how to silence the spring noise in the buttstock, everytime you fire the AR?

Do you think I could wrap elctrical tape on each of the coils? Or would that bunch up after time?

Thanks,
kc

This question gets asked almost once a week and the "sprong" noise from the buffer spring is normal and lets you know the rifle is working.  You will learn to listen to it and you will know when to reload or have a stopage in the rifle.

Electrical tape will get you nowhere.

There are pneumatic buffer that get rid of the spring but those are a waste of money.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 3:57:01 PM EDT
[#2]
make sure you put ALOT of electrical tape in the tube...

Argh.  Its the way the gun works.  
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 4:01:23 PM EDT
[#3]
After cleaning my ar I wipe the spring down with a cloth that has a bit of CLP on it, this really seems to quiet it down quite a bit.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 4:09:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Some use CLP or a lightweight grease to take the sound out. I personally wouldn't suggest that ipotion as dirt will get stuck in there. Tubbs sells a coated spring that does help but the noise is still there. The aftermarket buffers are suppossed to be good for that but they run about $100-200.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 4:10:44 PM EDT
[#5]
It is the sound of freedom, enjoy.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 4:18:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 5:53:33 PM EDT
[#7]
The noisier the spring is, the better it shoots.. Trust me, that's the sound of the bullet hitting the same hole..
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 6:18:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 6:36:58 PM EDT
[#9]
All three of my AR's make "that" noise.
Get used to it and it will let you know when its time to change mag.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 6:39:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 8:17:10 PM EDT
[#11]
You can take out the pin that holds the recoil buffer in and carefully put it in while closing the upper to the lower.  When you open your lower.. the spring and buffer will lunge from your receiver and attack innocent bystanders, but it will get rid of some of the sound.

I personally think this is another case of " if it aint broke, dont fix it"

But if someone wants to quieten this down, someone will have to make a slightly smaller outer diameter spring, and then coat it with teflon or some plastic, composite, slick rubber.  Then if this stuff ever chips, flakes, or breaks off, you have a FTF, FTE, or some other malfunction.

The buffer will also need some such coating
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 8:18:47 PM EDT
[#12]
I found a Wolff 10% Extra Power Action spring silenced the majority of the "Sprong" I used to hear.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 8:38:11 PM EDT
[#13]
I have been told that slipping a few 1" pieces of bicycle tube over the spring will keep it quiet .

I haven’t tried it , but it sounds logical enough .
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 8:43:05 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
It is the sound of freedom, enjoy.

... I was scrolling down to only to type the exact same statement!
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 8:49:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Put some axle grease on it. That helps a lot. You can load it down and it will not effect function. You will just get a little grease in your lower/upper that's all. Mine has never had any failures though.

Quoted:
Some use CLP or a lightweight grease to take the sound out. I personally wouldn't suggest that ipotion as dirt will get stuck in there. Tubbs sells a coated spring that does help but the noise is still there. The aftermarket buffers are suppossed to be good for that but they run about $100-200.

I have gotten in the dirt many times with mine and I never cleaned it once in the 3 years or so that my buffer spring had grease on it and the only thing of interest about it was that it was covered in black grease from carbon. Really unless you're tossing dirt into your ejection port, how's dirt going to get in there? Unless you take it apart and drop the spring in the sand...
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 8:52:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Just take off your hearing protection and then you won't notice it.  I have a new Bushy gives the same noise, my friend has a Colt Match Target, from what i remember, makes the same noise, never heard or fired an AR that didn't make that noise.  
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 8:59:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 9:11:53 PM EDT
[#18]
I love that noise! Oh the happy memories of rifle ranges, live fires, and jungle lanes!
Ready on the right? Ready on the left? Ready in the center? the range is now ready....firers, watch your lanes........
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 9:22:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Whut?  It made a noise?  What did you say?  Huh?
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 9:50:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Ahh, there is no sweeter sound.  I remember my very first shot with an M16A2 in boot camp.  I thought it broke!!!!
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 9:57:49 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Or you could get over it and quit being  a nancy

I generally agree with you on most things, but if everybody followed that method of thought, almost nobody would own sound suppressors because they'd have gotten over the loud bang their rifle makes, not to mention other advances and changes in the AR system that have evolved over the years.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 11:34:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Wrong thread .
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 11:36:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 12:28:07 AM EDT
[#24]
How does silencing the spring enhance the rifle in any way?

I've heard that Brain Eating Zombies are attracted to the sound, as well as a certain speices of Alien. THAT ALONE is reason enough ain't it?
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 12:30:53 AM EDT
[#25]
I noticed that carbines dont really make that noise. Its been a while since I fired a full length stock though.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 5:40:12 AM EDT
[#26]
I was out shooting last night, and was listening carefully ot the spring. I noticed that it only made the srping noise on the first mag or two, but after then I didn't notice it that much. I don't know if the adrenaline blocked out the noise or what, but I didn't notice it that much after the first mags.

Thanks for the replies

kc
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top