Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/17/2004 2:45:12 PM EDT
For a .223 caliber rifle how much do they lower the sound of the shot compared to a unsuppressed gun?

How many decibles do they lower the report?

Thanks

CRC
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 3:17:07 PM EDT
[#1]
The sound is still loud (.22LR or so) at distance.  The benefit is that the sound travels 90 degrees perpendicular to the muzzle, so it becomes difficult to determine where the sound is coming from.

Some are better than others, but 35-40dB reduction in report is common.

IO1
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 3:25:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Low enough to comfortably shoot it without hearing protection. Most suppressors completely mask the muzzle blast, and the only real sound you hear is the bullet breaking the sound barrier and finally hitting the backstop. Very cool.

Doc
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 3:26:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, its like a .22. Lots of fun, and the supressor helps cut recoil.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 3:58:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Couldn’t give you number of Db. but…

I have a Gemtech M4-96C on a 10-inch barrel. With the suppressor on you can shoot without hearing protection. The noise seems like it’s just below the pain threshold; doesn’t hurt or make your ears ring, but it’s not all that quiet. Take that suppressor off of that 10-inch barrel and you’re in for a ride. Flame, muzzleblast, concussion and tons of noise. Real big difference. It seems like the longer the barrel you mount the suppressor on, the more effective it is. I have had the suppressor on a 20-inch arf and it really does sound like a my little 22lr Marlin 39A.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 4:10:41 PM EDT
[#5]
So basically a .223 with suppressor is like shooting a .22 LR or .22 WMR?

I have both so that gives me a reference.

I don't wear hearing protection when shooting them.

Thanks.

Any more info?

CRC
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 4:17:50 PM EDT
[#6]
They muffle the report of the firearm enough so that you notice the sonic crack is still very loud.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 4:20:55 PM EDT
[#7]
But loud enought that you need hearing muffs?

CRC
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 4:23:35 PM EDT
[#8]
I just fired a few rounds before dark tonight out of my suppressed M16 in order to double check my Aimpoint's zero. I am using the SRT Hurricane, which rated tied for first place. Its dB reduction is 35+. Considering that those yellow foam earplugs have a dB reduction of 29, I'd say that it is pretty good. It sounds a little quieter than a .22LR. I believe that a .22 CB Long is around 134 dB, a .22LR is around 145 dB, and I'm getting about 130 dB suppressed. 140 dB is the OSHA threshold for hearing damage from impulse noise. Shoot my M16 unsuppressed and your ears will ring.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 4:29:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks

CRC
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 4:30:08 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
But loud enought that you need hearing muffs?

CRC

When shooting at close targets where there is a lot of sound reflection, yes I still need muffs. When shooting in open areas where there is little reflection, not that bad.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 4:33:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks again.

CRC
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 4:50:02 PM EDT
[#12]
I personally find that when I shoot .22lr, I still need muffs. I don't need them when shooting suppressed weapons, no matter what caliber.

Doc
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 6:16:09 PM EDT
[#13]
What if you put a suppressor on a .45 ACP upper.  With the subsonic ammo would that make any real difference?
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 6:38:23 PM EDT
[#14]
standard .45ACP is subsonic
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 6:57:13 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Low enough to comfortably shoot it without hearing protection. Most suppressors completely mask the muzzle blast, and the only real sound you hear is the bullet breaking the sound barrier not if you use SUBSONIC ammo  and finally hitting the backstop. Very cool.

Doc

Link Posted: 9/17/2004 10:03:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Well no kidding, if you shoot subsonic it's quieter.

Who the hell wants to shoot subsonic .223? You might as well shoot .22lr, it has almost as much energy.

And yes, a suppressed .45 upper will be a lot quieter than a "full power" (edit added for anal people) rifle round. In fact, all pistol ammo will be quieter than rifle ammo. Big suprise, eh?

Subsonic will always be quieter because your bullet isn't breaking the sound barrier. Pistol ammo will always be quieter than rifle ammo because there isn't as much velocity/bullet mass/etc. Not too hard to figure out.

For what a rifle round is, and for what the suppressors do, and for the *massive* differences in sound are .... you will be impressed by a rifle suppressor. When I can rock-and-roll in 556 without ears under a tin overhang all day and not need ears - that's a pretty damn good can, IMO.

Doc
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 11:25:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Now that the ban is up...me and my lil brother wanna get silencers, but Whats a good inexpensive, quality can??
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 10:47:11 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Now that the ban is up...me and my lil brother wanna get silencers, but Whats a good inexpensive, quality can??

I don't think those two statements go together for rifle suppressors. Good little .22 suppressors can be had rather cheaply though. I think you can get a suppressed Walther P22 for around $650 for the pistol, suppressor, and tax stamp.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top