Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/17/2004 5:50:37 AM EDT
Using common sense, I would have to say that cooler barrel temps are desired when shooting an Ar style rifle. Why then would manufactures place DOUBLE heat shields in the m4 handguard? The heat would be trapped inside the handguard and DOUBLE the amount of heat inside. The first heat shield makes sense.. far from the barrel and clear from the upper and lower vent holes. But the second shield is a hair away fom the barrel and blocks the vent holes. Is my theory accurate?
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 5:56:38 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Using common sense, I would have to say that cooler barrel temps are desired when shooting an Ar style rifle. Why then would manufactures place DOUBLE heat shields in the m4 handguard? The heat would be trapped inside the handguard and DOUBLE the amount of heat inside. The first heat shield makes sense.. far from the barrel and clear from the upper and lower vent holes. But the second shield is a hair away fom the barrel and blocks the vent holes. Is my theory accurate?

The HGs are to protect your hands from the heat of the barrel. "Hand Guards"
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 5:57:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Cooler barrel temperatures are desirable only as far as they don't interfere with the weapon operator's ability to handle the weapon.  The double heat shields are designed to protect the shooter's hands, not the barrel, and they are useful if you are firing a lot of rounds quickly and still want to be able to hold and aim the weapon.

ETA - RenegadeX beat me to the punch.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 7:13:24 AM EDT
[#3]
I believe only Colt have to double heat shields.  Bushmaster M4's just have a heavy black annodized heat shield.  RRA has a thin aluminum heat shield.  I do like the look and feel of the M4 HG's much better.  At first I thought they looked funny but now I thing the regular HG's look funny.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 7:33:52 AM EDT
[#4]
makes sense to me.  Seems like they should have no heatshields on top and double on the bottom. The heat could vent out the top and you could still hold on to the bottom.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 7:37:24 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
makes sense to me.  Seems like they should have no heatshields on top and double on the bottom. The heat could vent out the top and you could still hold on to the bottom.

Yeah, but if they did that.... people would put them in backwards.... holding heat in the top, and venting it all right into their hands.  
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 7:41:58 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
makes sense to me.  Seems like they should have no heatshields on top and double on the bottom. The heat could vent out the top and you could still hold on to the bottom. hr

Yeah, but if they did that.... people would put them in backwards.... holding heat in the top, and venting it all right into their hands.  hr

True, the world is full of idiots that don't bother to think things over or find out the "right way" to get stuff done.  However, if someone puts their HG's on backwards, well, at keast *they'll* be the ones paying for their stupidity.  The idea of no heat shield on top sounds right sharp to me.

Of course, there'sa  good chance that I'm the idiot and someone will set me straight as to why you'd want a heatshield on top.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 7:45:55 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Of course, there'sa  good chance that I'm the idiot and someone will set me straight as to why you'd want a heatshield on top.

That's usually what happens with me!
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 7:52:25 AM EDT
[#8]
I've wondered about taking the heat shield out of the top handguard.  After you hose enough ammo down the barrel, even the bottom HG with the heat shield starts getting plenty warm.  Maybe that will be a good way to waste some ammo this weekend....
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 11:11:50 AM EDT
[#9]
The RRA M4 handguards I had were double-shielded.  I tried to remove the inner shields when I found out they were glued in.

Pick yourself up some Cav Arms C4 handguards.  They use single shields and don't get very hot at all.  I think it's because they have better plastic than regular M4 handguards, but only Cav Arms could confirm.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 11:17:05 AM EDT
[#10]
I like them and they work for me.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 9:43:47 PM EDT
[#11]
The old CAR handguards look like sissy girlie things to me now.

+1 for CAV C-4 handguards.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 10:16:58 PM EDT
[#12]
I thought you were going to say they are worthless because you might as well put railed handguards on now!
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 6:03:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Real men take the HGs off and grip the barrel.  Wimps.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 6:03:53 AM EDT
[#14]
Oopps  Another double tap.  What wrong with the submit buttom?  I guess thats what I get for being a smartass.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 7:20:02 AM EDT
[#15]

I'm looking at getting a new upper and don't know if I want the M4 handguards or the CAR style.  If someone could give me a pointer to some example pics of the two so I could compare, I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
Jeff
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 7:41:36 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Common sense would be that applies to ANY rifle, not just AR-s.......   I have never been burned by my handguards, but have been burned to hell from the wood on my AK.  
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 7:47:59 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

They don't do this, because it would make it harder to keep the proper grip on the front handguard while bump-firing
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top