Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2004 10:37:51 PM EDT
I am aware of NYC law still banning "assault" rifles, and high cap mags.  They also require you to register rifles and shotguns and have a permit.  

I have purchased rifles and shotguns outside of NYC (Westchester Co.)  without a NYC permit even though I am an NYC resident.  It is my responsibility not to break the ridiculous law and bring them into the Bronx where I live.  

That being said, now that there is no assault rifle ban federally, but still locally, wouldn't the same apply for purchasing an assault rifle in Westchester????  i.e.  No problem -- My responsibility not to bring it to the Bronx/NYC ?????????

That is my interpretation, however FFL's I've contacted had no straight answer for me, some said "get a permit for it" which isn't possible since they are banned.  Others said straight out NO.  Others said I'll get back to you.   I hope/think I am right, but I think they are scared to deal with me because I'm from the republic of New York City.

Does anyone know if my interpretation is correct?? PLLLLLLLEAAAAASE TELL ME YES, I NEED MY AR :)

ALSO! Any FFL's here in the Westchester/L.I. area that want to transfer some long guns and an assault  rifle for me, please let me know!
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 10:39:15 PM EDT
[#1]
You might try the Hometown NY forums.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 11:27:41 PM EDT
[#2]
I am assuming you are having the guns transferred to yourself and the ones that told you no probably did so because they would be required to put your Bronx address on the paperwork which would not be legal unless you went the permit route.  Also, when the BATF reviews the paperwork and sees that you fall under NYC jurisdiction they are probably going to make you get one and slap the dealer that let you go home with the rifle with a fine or worse.   Not sure if they would care though since you say you've purchased other firearms this way before.

See if NYC law requires owners to be in control of their firearm at all times.  That would mean at your residence in a safe whenever you are not transporting it to or from a range.   If so, leaving it with a friend or family in a different area would be a violation.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 11:59:09 PM EDT
[#3]
So far every dealer has said it is no problem to transfer/sell regular  long guns/shotguns to me even though I live in NYC.  

I have already purchased and transfered through dealers in Westchester who told me it is not a problem.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 12:02:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Then I obviously don't understand the NYC specific laws well enough to help and I probably misunderstood what you were asking.  Sorry.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 1:14:17 AM EDT
[#5]
When they made all the NYC guys get rid of their AW style firearms, the choices were to sell or move them out of city limits, or turn them in.  A NYC resident is still a NYS resident so all state laws apply in regards to this matter.  I have heard of many NYC gunowners having their friends or relatives warehouse their toys outside of city limits.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 4:52:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Fixxer:

The NY ban is aslo a  STATE ban, in additiona to a city ban.  This AWB is permanent, and is state wide.

You will not be able to purchase the new 'no-ban' rifles in NYS.  However, you can find the odd pre-ban/post-ban.  I suspect the westchester dealers are rather accustomed to NYC crowd trying to cirumvent the NYC legislation.  I also rather strongly suspect that most dealers are dumber than dog shit when it comes to legislation:  Most seem to have no real idea of what the law really is.  as a result, your options are going to vary.

I think you may wish to travel farther north.  Most upstate dealers don't give a rats ass about NYC.  If you are a NY state resident, have appropriate ID, and can pass NICS, you'll walk out with an AR of some legal (in NYS) configuration.  What happens to it after that is your problem.

Just remember, we are dealing with THREE levels of AWB here.  The expired federal law.  The still relevant State law (limits options to Pre-ban, post-ban, but has no permit requirement), and the NYC Law.  Stpe outside NYC and no one cares what NYC does.

Frozenny
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top