[#1]
Check the NFA board in the Equipment Exchange here and
www.sturmgewehr.com
www.subguns.com
www.weaponsboard.com
www.uzitalk.com has a NFA for sale forum too
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 5:55:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Gem-Tech and AWC are supposed to be great.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 10:55:43 PM EDT
[#3]
If hes only shooting for fun then just get a 22 and silence it or built a silenced 22 upper for the AR
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 11:49:34 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
My father loves his AR, which is currently a ban-era neutered SP1 with a Bushmaster lower receiver and A2 furniture.  The light pencil A1 barrel is nice,  and keeps the weight down, and accuracy is quite good.  It's a neat rifle.

But...he has considerable hearing loss and shooting his rifle isn't going to make it any better.   So we started discussing the options,  and he's interested in getting a 9mm or .45 ACP upper conversion for it,  and also he's interested in a silencer.    

I know about the legal issues surrounding a silencer.   Form 4, background check,  200 dollar transfer tax,  etc...  

But who's a good source for silencers?   I don't have any info on who makes them or where to get them.Gemtech

Also, I'd like to learn about the various .45 and 9mm upper conversions that are available.   Any info you can offer is going to be helpful.9mm: Olympic System or RRA/Colt system. 45ACP is only made by Olympic, IIRC

The objective is to create what is essentially a silent rifle.  I expect to run subsonic ammo in it, and with an effective silencer the result should be a rifle that makes very little noise, and most of that will be from the action cycling.      This is probably the only kind of rifle that he could shoot without damaging his already very bad hearing even more.

Thoughts, comments, suggestions?

Chris

.45ACP is a must in this case.

To get a silent 9mm you must use lower-power subsonic ammo.

.45ACP is subsonic even with full power loads. It is essentially the perfect supressed weapon round...

www.olyarms.com for your .45ACP upper. They sell direct to the public.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 5:29:29 AM EDT
[#5]
buy some hearing protection
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 7:44:16 AM EDT
[#6]
+1 for the hearing protection!  much cheaper than a suppressor or a new rifle/upper.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 9:11:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 9:13:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Check out the .300 whisper caliber. Theirs quitea few loadings available for it that are subsonic, and from what I understand it makes a good silent hunting rifle.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 9:35:14 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Check out the .300 whisper caliber. Theirs quitea few loadings available for it that are subsonic, and from what I understand it makes a good silent hunting rifle.

+1
This round will beat the heck out of any pistol caliber in an AR and you can load it super-sonic and be right on par with the 7.62x39mm too.  The guy  that I buy my brass from in E.Tennessee that uses this round with a 240gr. bullet sub-sonic and a silencer, he really likes it.  One very nice thing about the .300FB is that  it uses standard AR mags, no special mags to buy so if you've already got a 5.56mm you'll be good to go in the mag dept.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top