Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2004 12:25:37 PM EDT
How much length does the Phantom add to the OAL of the weapon?  The one im refering to is the new one that has the ports closed on the bottom to lessen dust sig. in prone position.

Edited to add Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 12:36:04 PM EDT
[#1]
about 2 inches
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 12:57:56 PM EDT
[#2]
All the Phantoms will bring a 14.5 inch barrel out beyond the legal 16 inch mark.
Unless you file the appropriate BATFE paperwork, the above Phantom must be permanently attached.

The Phantoms extend 1.6 inches after being fully threaded onto a barrel of any length.

HS1
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 2:25:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks!  Thats exactly what I needed to know.  Lookes loks its gona have to be permenantly pinned anyway.

Danka!
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 3:08:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Does silver-soldered count as "permanently" attached?
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 3:12:23 PM EDT
[#5]
I think it does but has to be a certain temp. solder.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 3:23:32 PM EDT
[#6]
A pic of one mounted.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:40:01 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

It needs to be 1100+ degree silver solder to be ATF approved.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:42:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 8:32:32 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It needs to be 1100+ degree silver solder to be ATF approved.

Jesus, are you serious about that?? How would any LEO or ATF agent know what temp it was soldered at?

They can tell if they try to twist it off.  You have to remember, these are the boys that will break your sigle shot 12ga open to manipulate the OAL.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 3:49:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Maybe it's a dumb question, but how can someone tell the strength of a weld without actually breaking it free?  If it stays in place, and the officer cannot exert the appropriate amount of force to break it free, then how is he in any position to make a determination as to what kind of weld was used on the gun?  After removing the pins from my old mini y, it was still a bitch to remove.  We ended up using a torque wrench because it had the longest arm, and it went to 40 ft-lbs.  Now I don't know about any of you fellas out there, but I am a pretty strong person, and it took two of us, one holding down the rifle and the other twisting, to remove that stupid brake, a lot of the reason being that we couldn't get a solid grip on the barrel without it twisting in our hands (eventually i just held down the rifle by the sight bases, but that's another story).  I seriously doubt that an LEO or anyone for that matter, unless he's the Hulk, can simply take your brake/hider and see how tight it's threaded on there with the tools with which he is normally equipped.  I mean, I guess he could take in and put it on a vise and find out, but how much would you have to do in order to get him to do that?  I know welding and pinning is the law, it just seems like one that they couldn't really readily enforce.

Edited to say:  I have spoken to many LEO's about gun law compliance, and basically everyone says the same thing they say about any law -- "Just don't be a jackass, don't get caught, and it's all good."
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 3:58:34 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

How about loc-tite or JB Weld?
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 4:00:37 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Maybe it's a dumb question, but how can someone tell the strength of a weld without actually breaking it free?  

If BATF put the brl in a vice, and a wrench on the FS, and can remove the FS without destroying the Brl, its not perm attached.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 4:02:40 PM EDT
[#13]
You'd probably have to be arrested and have your guns confiscated before they even start to make any determinations like that, though.  Right?

I mean, it's not like you get a call from your buddy who just got out of the big house and said "yeah, my flash hider wasn't permanently attached, so i got 5 yrs".  It's probably one of those laws that they use to tack onto your more major crime.  Dig you in deeper, so to speak.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 4:04:12 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nah, I know loctite and JBWeld don't count.  JBWeld is great stuff, but I am quite certain it can come off without f*cking up your barrel for good.

When installing a Phantom, what kind of washer is best to use?  I ordered mine with a peel washer, should I get a crush washer instead?
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 4:15:08 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nah, I know loctite and JBWeld don't count.  JBWeld is great stuff, but I am quite certain it can come off without f*cking up your barrel for good.

When installing a Phantom, what kind of washer is best to use?  I ordered mine with a peel washer, should I get a crush washer instead?

What if it pin it then put JB Weld over the pin? No, I'm not doing this, I'm just curious.

Digital
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 4:27:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Hmm...I guess if the coloring on your FS wasn't conspicuous, you might fool 'em.  But it still wouldn't technically be legal, by my understanding.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top