Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/16/2004 11:23:05 AM EDT
Is it me or have we seen a rise in the number of new members to the forum since the death of the AWB?  Is it possible that we have become "mainstream" as a result of the expiration?

It just seems like I'm seeing a lot more posts from folks with single digit post numbers.  Maybe I just wasn't paying attention B4.

M590man
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 11:30:11 AM EDT
[#1]

It actually occurred in the last 4 weeks. Something about the advertising and some website ranked arfcom as the number 1 firearm website. So alot of traffic is coming from there, probably.

Link Posted: 9/16/2004 11:36:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes, I'm one of those new members with single digit post counts.

I'm a defensive handgun guy who recently became interested in building my own AR15.  I'm waiting for a bushy lower from Eagle.  I went shooting last night and a guy let me put 3 rounds through his bushy carbine.  It makes a lot smaller holes than my 1911, but JEEZ they sure get there a LOT faster!hock.gif

I appreciate having access to guys willing to share their knowlege and experiences with newbies like myself.

Thanks for putting up with us!  
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 11:57:21 AM EDT
[#3]
I am not new, but just became a "Team Member".  I mostly just lurk anyway.  But every now and then I will post something.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 12:06:47 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I'm a defensive handgun guy who recently became interested in building my own AR15.  I'm waiting for a bushy lower from Eagle.  I went shooting last night and a guy let me put 3 rounds through his bushy carbine.  It makes a lot smaller holes than my 1911, but JEEZ they sure get there a LOT faster!

I appreciate having access to guys willing to share their knowlege and experiences with newbies like myself.

Welcome!  Congrats on building your first AR.  Happy, and safe, shooting!

Semper Fi!
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 12:09:11 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I'm a defensive handgun guy who recently became interested in building my own AR15.  I'm waiting for a bushy lower from Eagle.  I went shooting last night and a guy let me put 3 rounds through his bushy carbine.  It makes a lot smaller holes than my 1911, but JEEZ they sure get there a LOT faster!

yeah.  i recently did the same thing.  unless you're into les baer 1911s, this is going to hurt your bank account WAY more!
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 4:49:51 PM EDT
[#6]
I have noticed this too and it is a good thing!
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 4:51:14 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I have noticed this too and it is a good thing!

+1

Welcome all new-comers!!!

I am actually fairly new, but post a lot.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:16:58 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm relatively new...I started coming here because my paintball marker used Ar parts...I decided that I wanted a big boy toy so I sold that , and bought my first AR

As with my other hobbies this became an obsession.....but I look at it as a Damn good investment!

It started our cheap......

How does one become a Team member?
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:46:33 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm glad to see all the new members. I think that with the sunset and the media blitz, it will push some ppl. on the fence into fighting for their rights. At least I hope...
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:50:04 PM EDT
[#10]
I've followed the site for nearly two years now – since around the time I bought my first AR. Thought it was about time I registered. The wealth of information here is invaluable. Thanks to all!
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:55:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Newbie checking in here!  I've been collecting C&R's for several years, and recently decided to get into HP competition.  In doing so I realized that the most cost-effective way to be competitive was the AR.  In the process I also rediscovered my love of the AR platform.  I qualified expert with the M-16 in 1989, but never touched another AR after my discharge in 1995.

Well, at the same time I also kinda got excited by the sunset, and decided to make my first build a Franken-carbine.  This was my learning project, and is a fun little gun.  My next (and I have the stripped upper and lower ready to go) will be my service-rifle competition gun.

Thanks again to all the great folks here for helping.  Know it or not, I've been lurking and learning here for some time now.

Here is my first  build FYI.

http://www.jumbotrade.com/images/frankencar.JPG
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 9:02:06 PM EDT
[#12]
yea,, newbie too.... but i've been lurking sence about Feb or so.. everytime i have a question about my AR, i just come here, and somebody else allready has asked it!!! so i dont' post much.. just read and learn..
been tossing around the idea of putting a col stock on my AR, but it has a 24 inch "post" barrel and seems like a heavy one. so it might thow it out of balance...  it shoot so nice now..
Do i have plans?? of course, but leaving this rifle alone..  might go with  much shorter bbl. and colapable stock on that... someday......
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 9:52:24 PM EDT
[#13]
you complaining?!?!???
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 10:11:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Yes, I'm a new member also. Qualified as expert in Army in 82, and have owned an AR since 94.  Just recently began modifying two Bushmasters and came to this site in search of much needed info. What an eye opener. What an invaluable resource.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 10:11:51 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I'm relatively new...I started coming here because my paintball marker used Ar parts...I decided that I wanted a big boy toy so I sold that , and bought my first AR

As with my other hobbies this became an obsession.....but I look at it as a Damn good investment!

www.jayloo.com/files/pics/8000/My_M4gery_2938_rs.JPG

It started our cheap......

How does one become a Team member?

Yep, i sold all my paintball stuff and got a real mans gun :)
I do regret how cheap i sold all my gear for, but it was a friend, which makes it all good.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 10:19:55 PM EDT
[#16]
The Sunset, so it's party time for most of us.  I've always been more of a Mil-Surplus type guy, but this last year, with the AWB hub-bub, I started down the Black Rifle Road.

Brent
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 4:56:03 AM EDT
[#17]

Yep, i sold all my paintball stuff and got a real mans gun :)
I do regret how cheap i sold all my gear for, but it was a friend, which makes it all good.

Since my PB marker was mad out of a real M4 setup I was able to sell just the marker for a bit over $700.....I love these hobbies that I can use to refinance other hobbies!
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 5:24:05 AM EDT
[#18]
I'm new also, but been lurking from time to time..........Notice my joined date...........Getting one of these little rifles has been a dream of mine for a long time.  And this weekend it will come true.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 5:37:36 AM EDT
[#19]

Hey new guys (and older guys who haven't joined)

To join, click this link and read all the different options.

i joined the site as a paying member after reading several kickass threads, and after saving ALOT of money from buying things on the EE (jobrelatedstuff.com/forums/board.html?b=7) then buying crap at gunshows or ebay.

At least read the link and see if it is worth at least $20 (it definetly is).

jobrelatedstuff.com/content/page.html?id=2
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 5:44:37 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Arfs and 1911's go together like peanut butter and jelly, so you are on the "right track".

Paladin
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 5:53:07 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 8:29:54 AM EDT
[#22]
New, been lurking for a long time.  Sigforum and Glocktalk blackrifle sections were good, but when I needed more info, I turned here (due to links there).  The looming demise of the AWB was, indeed, what fueled the fire.  How did people learn this stuff before information-packed forums?  
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 8:32:05 AM EDT
[#23]
No4,

Nice carbine build.  How did the Magpul installation go.  I'm putting one on this weekend?
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 8:40:20 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
New, been lurking for a long time.  Sigforum and Glocktalk blackrifle sections were good, but when I needed more info, I turned here (due to links there).  The looming demise of the AWB was, indeed, what fueled the fire.  How did people learn this stuff before information-packed forums?  

From all the seals-exrangers-deltaforce-operators at the gunshows of course!!
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 12:51:58 PM EDT
[#25]
I am new to this version of the board.  I was quite active back in 1999-2000 with the old AR15.com forums.  Then one day, a software upgrade was performed and all registration information and post counts were gone.  Also, the screen colors where changed to a black background and it was absolutely horrible to read.   I logged in a few times but basically gave up after a few times.  My screen name in those days was "Robert in NY".
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 12:57:28 PM EDT
[#26]
I am one of the new guys. My first wife (the biiiiiitch) would not let me get an AR-15. My wife now lets me have fun.  
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 1:08:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Not new, but do have a renewd(sp) intrest since the AWB death.   MB
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 2:31:57 PM EDT
[#28]
Not new but my interest in ARs has been a little flat over the last couple years, since I haven't had a ton of time for service rifle matches.  The expiration of the ban has rekindled my interest, since I can now play with telescoping stocks and flash suppressors.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 2:39:06 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
you complaining?!?!???

Heck no!!!  Glad to see the BR disease is spreading!

M590man
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 2:39:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Same as Blackdog. I'm an oldtime member; I stopped visting this site years ago because it was a little to "wild west" so to speak. Lots of flaming, racisim and general idiot-ness. I'm really glad it's matured; looks like a good site now. Anyway, sold all my prebans about 16 months ago, and now I'm looking to restock with the profits ;-)
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 2:43:55 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Same as Blackdog. I'm an oldtime member; I stopped visting this site years ago because it was a little to "wild west" so to speak. Lots of flaming, racisim and general idiot-ness. I'm really glad it's matured; looks like a good site now. Anyway, sold all my prebans about 16 months ago, and now I'm looking to restock with the profits ;-)

Matured?  Am I on the right site?  
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 2:46:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 3:38:53 PM EDT
[#33]
I've noticed it too.

I wonder how many are only now starting to realize they could have been in on all the fun for the last ten years with post-ban ARs.

I've talked to a number of people over the last couple of days who were surprised to find out that such things as a Colt MT6601 and all the similarly neutered Bushies/Armalites/etc. have been available for purchase all along.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 4:52:08 PM EDT
[#34]
M590man,   Thanks for the welcome back.  My BR however,is actually..........purple!
At least the lower is in the right light. bought it a while back when QP had a problem getting the anodizing right.

Black.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 5:10:03 PM EDT
[#35]
I've still got some of the OLD site stuff saved on my laptop...have we come a looong way.

Newbies, kiss your bank account goodbye...

From "Apocalypse Now" if you recall;
Sell the wife
Sell the kids
I'm NEVER coming home!!!

Don't say we haven't warned you.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 5:58:32 PM EDT
[#36]
I am new, though I have been thinking about getting an ar15 for a while.  Simply because they shoot better than any SKS I have shot, and are better made than most AK47's out there.

THe end of the ban just seems to be the best time because we all know its just a matter of time before the reup it, or something like it.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 3:57:16 PM EDT
[#37]
I'm not racist. After all, my rifle IS black isn't it?!!? And we're very close. I'm reasonably new also lurked a while, now posting, considering being a member.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 1:36:01 PM EDT
[#38]
I've been kinda lurking here for quite a while, I only occasionally ask questions as most questions I have are already answered.

Hopefully with my cashflow on the rise, I'll build my first AR.  It'll probably be a M4gery of some sort.

I'm pretty active over at HS2KTalk.  I know there are some other HS2K people over here.  Engineer's the only one I can think of right now.

Krackels
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 1:42:29 PM EDT
[#39]
Welcome aboard to all the noobs and welcome back to the returning old-timers!!!  

Welcome to the disease!! I hope you didn't actually plan to have money in the bank any time soon...

Link Posted: 9/23/2004 1:51:18 PM EDT
[#40]
Is January 04 new?  *waves*  I just never had much to say.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 2:35:23 PM EDT
[#41]
I just signed up 2 1/2 weeks ago. I knew this site existed, but I never visited or registered until I realized the AWB was actually going to end.

My biggest benefit from this forum so far was scoring a Colt LE6920HB out of the EE withing a day or so after joining. I love this place. he
I still have the 2 Sporters that I bought back in '93. One is a Match HBAR, the other is a 9mm. I know Colt gets a bad rap here and i understand why, but I still like what I have.

Who knows? Maybe you guys & gals will talk me into building one up myself.

BTW, I agree that the site isn't too bad when it comes to the internet tough-guys. I've seen worse.

Scott

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top