Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2004 8:12:42 AM EDT
Hey guys,
I have a Colt post ban M4 carbine, I took it in to the local shop the other day to get all the pre ban stuff put back on, I have a few questions about this. The guy at the shop says no problem threading the barrel and adding the flash hider (about $100.00). I asked him how much to remove the old fixed colapable stock, I am concerned because it has been crimped in place. He said to remove it would remove some metal and might look bad, he may have to replace the recevier end plate as it has been crimped into slots on the locking nut. You guys who have done this, is this true? Also, I want to put the front sight with the bayonet lug back on the gun, he says the part is hard to get and he would have to drill the two pin holes in the new one, this sounds tricky, if the holes don't line up just right, I will have to adjust the rear sight to correct and it would be just WRONG! What is your experence? He says about $100.00 to replace the front sight. Does this sound right?
Thanks in advance,
Mark
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 10:53:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Wow... I'm hoping some of the incredibly helpful and extremely competent industry partners here on the board chime in.  From my experience and from what I see here on ARFCOM on a daily basis, this doesn't sound right to me: sounds like he wants to milk you for money.  People think that if you own an AR, you're made out of money.  I have no experience with post-ban Colt M4's, so perhaps someone else here can help you with that as well.

Removing the stock shouldn't be that hard, though, unless Colt has once again done something contrary to common practice (note I didn't say the dreaded "milspec").

Link Posted: 9/16/2004 11:02:14 AM EDT
[#2]
100 for the FS and 100 for the FSB?  My gunsmith told me he'd do it for 45 bucks

Digital
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 11:16:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Man!  You need to familiarize yourself with ADCO:

ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=2&f=130
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 8:59:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Hey Guys,
Thanks for the posts, I am still wondering if the price is right on the items I want to change. The guy at the shop is very confident, I like that, I have alot in this gun and I really don't know how tricky it is to add the front sight. Were you  satisfied with the job your gunsmith did for $45.00? My guy wants $100.00 to thread the muzzle and add the flash hider, and about $100.00 to add the front sight with the bayo lug (this includes the front sight), and about $25.00 to add the colapable stock. What do you guys think?
Thanks,
Mark
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 9:16:37 AM EDT
[#5]
ADCO's price list.  You'll find the first two things on there for less:
www.adcofirearms.com/shopservices.cfm

They have a pretty good rep for work quality, as well.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 9:28:51 AM EDT
[#6]
What Flash Hider are you getting for $100?  I don't see the need for  bay lug on a 16" carbine, when the bayonnet won't work.  The $25 stock change out sounds like he is running a business, and has costs that he needs to cover.  

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top