Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2004 4:43:22 AM EDT
I am trying to decide whether or not to mass produce these. I built this one for a member that does alot of stock changeouts that use a castlenut. It holds the gun firmly while doing this, plus it acts as a maintenance stand as well for other tasks. As you can see, it will only work with a collapsable stock or no stock at all.
Any comments, GOOD OR BAD, are needed.

Thanks, Mike

WE USE THE SAME MATERIAL AND CONSTRUCTION FOR OUR HYDRAULIC TOOL HOLDERS. THIS SPREADER WEIGHS 68LBS!!!!  VERY RUGGED CONSTRUCTION!!

Link Posted: 9/16/2004 4:50:45 AM EDT
[#1]
does the mag catch lock onto the part that goes into the magwell?
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 5:01:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Looks pretty good. How about making it for standard stocks and then use an insert for collapsable stocks. Then maybe notch the front of the magwell insert block so you can pull the rear takedown pin and tilt your upper and it stays tilted. Then you can remove the bolt and carrier and clean or whatever.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 5:04:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Yes it does.

Quoted:
does the mag catch lock onto the part that goes into the magwell?

Link Posted: 9/16/2004 5:09:36 AM EDT
[#4]
THe front post is designed to have the upper tilt forward. The picture below is of a typical maint. stand with the same post.

Quoted:
Looks pretty good. How about making it for standard stocks and then use an insert for collapsable stocks. Then maybe notch the front of the magwell insert block so you can pull the rear takedown pin and tilt your upper and it stays tilted. Then you can remove the bolt and carrier and clean or whatever.

Link Posted: 9/16/2004 5:16:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Looks great. But what would it cost?
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 5:26:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Well, this one was a one time deal and I sold it for $85. If I started mass producing, the price would probably be around $55 (rough guess at this point)

Quoted:
Looks great. But what would it cost?

Link Posted: 9/16/2004 5:42:41 AM EDT
[#7]
It looks like a great idea for shops/smiths that do a lot of stock swaps, setting up the vive w/ a block is a PITA and leaving a dedicated vise settup for stocks is a more expensive option than this one.
One feature to consider and its purely My .02c, can you set it up so if necessary, the lower can be broken down, and installed "upside down" or take down pins toward the base, sometimes the wrench attachments on the stock are "timed" so flipping the lower makes them more easilly accessible...

/S2
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 5:48:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Flipping it over could be a possibility, but you would lose the capability of the notch in the rear saddle for the buffer tube engagement.

Quoted:
It looks like a great idea for shops/smiths that do a lot of stock swaps, setting up the vive w/ a block is a PITA and leaving a dedicated vise settup for stocks is a more expensive option than this one.
One feature to consider and its purely My .02c, can you set it up so if necessary, the lower can be broken down, and installed "upside down" or take down pins toward the base, sometimes the wrench attachments on the stock are "timed" so flipping the lower makes them more easilly accessible...

/S2

Link Posted: 9/16/2004 6:29:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Very cool!  I want one.  
George
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:52:41 AM EDT
[#10]
If this where bolted to a table, you think it would withstand the torquing required for the install and removal of a barrel?Would be cool to see you make an all in one stand and thisis the closest ive seen.  I think if you made the side supports a little wider and about 3/4 of an inch taller to almost come to the botom of the mag well, it would have enough support to dal iwht almost and project. The combination of that and the tele-stock bracket would make me want to buy one since i dont use standard stocks. just an ideabut its looking cool... ive been eyeing your other basic stands and plan on ordering one soon....
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 8:17:53 AM EDT
[#11]
I plan on going with a taller gusset like you are saying. I just happened to have these already cut and they worked fine.
I am quite confident that this would probably hold up to a barrel installation. Any idea how much torque is required for this?  Plastic welds are very unique. Under constant pressure like torquing on a barrel they would work great. If you were to beat on it, AND I MEAN REALLY WAIL AWAY with a hammer, you could break the weld. What I will also be doing is adding some 1 1/2" screws to the bottom of the posts thru the bottom of the base for added strength.

The picture of the "Jaws of Life" tool is from TNT Rescue tools in Wisconson.
www.tntrescue.com We are their supplier for polymounts (look under "tool mounts"). Our products went thru extensive testing with their R&D group before they took them on their product line. I can assure you, they did some pretty severe testing. Our mounts are designed to hold a 70lb tool while bouncing down the road in a fire truck. All of our AR products use the same material and weld process.

Quoted:
If this where bolted to a table, you think it would withstand the torquing required for the install and removal of a barrel?Would be cool to see you make an all in one stand and thisis the closest ive seen.  I think if you made the side supports a little wider and about 3/4 of an inch taller to almost come to the botom of the mag well, it would have enough support to dal iwht almost and project. The combination of that and the tele-stock bracket would make me want to buy one since i dont use standard stocks. just an ideabut its looking cool... ive been eyeing your other basic stands and plan on ordering one soon....

Link Posted: 9/16/2004 8:21:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Hey Mike can you post the link to your website so everyone can see all the other cool stuff you make.  I changed internet service and lost my favorites list.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 8:26:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Here's a direct link to my AR section www.plastixplustx.com/ar15/ar15.html

Check out the other stuff we do too. Our bread and butter is the emergency services. My black rifle addiction prompted the AR stuff.

Mike

Quoted:
Hey Mike can you post the link to your website so everyone can see all the other cool stuff you make.  I changed internet service and lost my favorites list.

Link Posted: 9/16/2004 8:33:33 AM EDT
[#14]
tagged
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 9:46:09 AM EDT
[#15]
I am the one that asked Mike to make this. I originally saw this set up in the Diemaco factory on a course and I bought the materials to make myself one (delayed due to a lack of a mill). The one they use is made out of steel. When I saw the stuff Mike made, I figured why not make it out of plastic?

BTW torque for the receiver extension nut is around 28 inlbs (I think - memory is not the greatest so someone who has the accurate number correct me if you could be so kind) if you are into the actual requirements. but if you go by the barrel nut method of a hand tight then a grunt and then to the next hole you should be fine. just modify that value for the castle nut.

the stand works great and prevents the gun from sliding around if you are doing it viseless and keeps the works in line also so you dont get cockeyed stocks.

Nice work Mike!!! keep it up

Mark
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 10:03:59 AM EDT
[#16]
Tagged
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 10:25:08 AM EDT
[#17]
I would buy one in a second.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 9:43:56 AM EDT
[#18]
Mike, ive only done one barrel so far, but i didnt torque it past 40 ft lbs. Some say as high as 80 ft lbs but i dont see a need for it, unless useing a new receiver.  Let me know a price on one of these with the taller / wider gussets.... Im definetly interested in one. I may even buy one fo the single stands for display for ontop of my entertainment center
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 4:32:52 AM EDT
[#19]
Hey Dinger,

Just checking to see if you were still interested in one of these specialized stands. I still have a couple ready for shipment.

Let me know, Thanks, Mike

Quoted:
I would buy one in a second.

Link Posted: 9/24/2004 4:44:24 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
THe front post is designed to have the upper tilt forward. The picture below is of a typical maint. stand with the same post.
photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=29940

How much for the poster?  
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top