Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/15/2004 10:09:20 PM EDT
Hi Everyone...

On Monday, I celebrated the death of the ban by running out to my favorite gun shop and buying what used to be called an “assault rifle.”  Only problem is that I really don’t know anything about rifles and have barely touched one since I left the army many years ago.  I know lots about hand guns, though, so I’m not gun illiterate.

Anyhow, I came home with a Bushmaster M4A3.  The model number is XM16-E2S (I think).  From looking around, it seems to have a 14.5in chrome lined barrel with a phantom flash suppressor permanently attached to it.  It also have an evil telescoping stock and a downright terrifying bayonet mounting lug.  The mag well says something like “law enforcement / government use only” which makes it really cool to have.

I paid 840.00 plus sales tax out the door.  Some people on another forum have told me this is a good price and I hunted around a bit and it seems to be.  What do you folks think?

Can anyone point me to some more information about this rifle?  I have been looking for break-in instructions for the chrome barrel but have not found them yet.  Also, how can I attach a bipod to it?  Is there anything special about this flash suppressor?

I’m new to this and would appreciate any comments.  Thanks very much!
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 10:26:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Congrats on the new SUR, I just picked my bushy m4a2 up today.

The price you paid is great, most on the net are running around 900-1000 before shipping.  

http://www.ar15.com/content/manuals/ has some info on cleaning and such, may just browse over them.  To my knowledge, the whole barrel break-in process is a lie, just shoot it and clean it when you're done.  

Have fun and safe shooting, oh yeah, kiss your $$ good bye, you're going to be hooked...
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 10:28:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Congratulations, you did good on the buy.  Here are a few threads on breaking in a barrel to get you started.  Good info in them.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=12&t=195253

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=7&t=193345

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=192498

Nothing special with the phantom,  just a different way of reaching 16" with a 14.5" barrel.  I love the phantom and have one on my 16" bushy upper.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 10:29:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Good price on the gun.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 10:33:25 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Hi Everyone...

On Monday, I celebrated the death of the ban by running out to my favorite gun shop and buying what used to be called an “assault rifle.”  Only problem is that I really don’t know anything about rifles and have barely touched one since I left the army many years ago.  I know lots about hand guns, though, so I’m not gun illiterate.

Anyhow, I came home with a Bushmaster M4A3.  The model number is XM16-E2S (I think).  From looking around, it seems to have a 14.5in chrome lined barrel with a phantom flash suppressor permanently attached to it.  It also have an evil telescoping stock and a downright terrifying bayonet mounting lug.  The mag well says something like “law enforcement / government use only” which makes it really cool to have.

I paid 840.00 plus sales tax out the door. Sounds good to me.  Some people on another forum have told me this is a good price and I hunted around a bit and it seems to be.  What do you folks think?POST PICS!

Can anyone point me to some more information about this rifle? guides gallor I have been looking for break-in instructions for the chrome barrel but have not found them yet.I'm not sure, have a look around here maybe Also, how can I attach a bipod to it?I like these  Is there anything special about this flash suppressor?It's COOL

I’m new to this and would appreciate any comments.  Thanks very much!

Welcome to the boards. Enjoy
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 10:37:25 PM EDT
[#5]
The flash suppressor is more effective than the shorter A2 one, and its a chrome bore-no need or purpose to break it in.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 10:53:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks everyone.  I guess I don't need to worry about breaking it in.  Just clean it and shoot it.  I can do that!

On the bipod, what does it connect to?  Do I use some adapter on the bayonet lug?

Also, does it matter what weight of ammo I use?  In a handgun, I don't use Wolf because I don't want to beat up the extractor and ejector with the steel case.   Also, I have found olympic to be inaccurate and unreliable (it misfires often).  Federal American Eagle seems good quality and that's what I shoot mostly from handguns.

Link Posted: 9/15/2004 11:16:59 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Thanks everyone.  I guess I don't need to worry about breaking it in.  Just clean it and shoot it.  I can do that!

On the bipod, what does it connect to?  Do I use some adapter on the bayonet lug?

Also, does it matter what weight of ammo I use?  In a handgun, I don't use Wolf because I don't want to beat up the extractor and ejector with the steel case.   Also, I have found olympic to be inaccurate and unreliable (it misfires often).  Federal American Eagle seems good quality and that's what I shoot mostly from handguns.

The bipod attachment goes through the holes on your handguards the bipod attaches to the sling swivel.  

What is the twist rate of the barrel. It should be stamped in front of the front sight base on the barrel.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 11:19:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Twist rate is 1 per 9.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 11:25:48 PM EDT
[#9]
www.ammo-oracle.com/

Everything you ever needed to know.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 12:08:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Wow, you're not kidding!  That page is fantastic!  I guess I want XM193 for my 14.5 inch 1:9 twist barel.  I'll use something with a real brass case and a copper jacketed bullet.  I'll have to re-read that page when I am more awake, but I sure learned alot!  I had no idea there was so much to ammo.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 4:08:30 AM EDT
[#11]
congratulations and welcome!!
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 4:30:05 AM EDT
[#12]
jarcher,

I agree with those on the good buy you've made. When you shoot it, you'll agree.
Retail prices here in Atlanta are around 950 to 1000+.
Bushmaster is good stuff for the most part.
And, also, educate yourself about basics.  I'm educating myself about the basics, as well.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 11:00:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks everyone for the great info and encouragement.  I love my noe toy and I have not even shot it yet!  Looks like it might be a few weeks before I get a chance, and then it will be cold soon, so I guess I[ll get limited ability to screw it up.  But I'll ge tit to the range yet!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top