Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/15/2004 9:03:27 PM EDT
Hi, I’m going to be buying my first AR-15 in probably less than a week, and I am trying to decide which model to get.  Basically I want a one with a 16” barrel, a good scope, (one of the A.C.O.G. one’s come to mind) bipod, flip up front and rear sights etc.  Right now I’m looking at the Bushmaster A3 16in Carbine and the Bushmaster 16” V Match Carbine.  If I get either one of those, I’ll want to outfit it with a new stock, grip and free floating forend with Picatinny rails.  Also replace the carry handle and front sight with pop up sights, scope, Harris bi-pod and some other stuff.

The other AR I’m looking at is the Les Baer Custom Thunder Ranch Rifle.  It’s got a lot of nice custom and match grade parts on it, and I wouldn’t have to change much, but is that gun worth the $2400 price tag verses $1000 for the Bushmaster??

I don’t know much about AR’s, but I’m willing to spend a bunch to get what I “think” want, but which is the best route?  I'll mostly be doing target shooting and plinking cans and stuff.

Thanks!

Link Posted: 9/15/2004 9:22:26 PM EDT
[#1]

My .02 ?

Bushmaster all day!

The Les Baer is a great gun but not for an extra $1400! The Bushmaster has great quality and is very reliable. For target shooting and plinking cans (Hell! Even for defense...) you're not going to miss anything (except for money) by purchasing the Bushmaster.

Any other thoughts?
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 9:38:00 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd rather have 2 Bushmasters, maybe a carbine & a regular length than a Les Baer. It would cost you about the same amount too!
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 9:40:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Bushmaster or Rock River Arms, partner. Les Baer's are like Ferraris. You pay a lot for a marginal increase in performance and a hefty premium for the name. Start out with something simple and if you need to, build up from there. Also, learn how to shoot with irons FIRST before you slap an ACOG onto your gun. (although if you have $2,000 to spend on a gun and $1,000 to spend on a scope, you're one well off fellow).
Some people may disagree with me here, but for your first rifle, don't spend more than $1200 or so. Get the free floating handguards, get the good quality barrel, and get a nice trigger. Why? That way, if you miss, it will be your fault, not the gun's. There are few things that make an AR more accurate than those three components. With good quality ammunition, almost any major manufacturer's "varmint" rifle will be far more accurate than you are. So, save you self the money, get a nice Bushy, RRA, Armalite, or Oly, and whatever change is still jingling in your pocket, spend it on good quality ammunition.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 9:41:25 PM EDT
[#4]
BUSHMASTER
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 9:53:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Of the two, Bushmaster.

If you weren't making me pick between the two, I'd probably get a Doublestar STAR-15 or a RRA...

Link Posted: 9/15/2004 9:57:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Bushmaster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 10:06:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Wow, thanks a lot for all the replys so far.  It seems like the Bushmaster might be the way to go then.  If I get that, what would be a good free floating handguard to get?  I looked at the A.R.M.S. # 50C S.I.R. System and the B.M.A.S. 4 Rail (both are on the Bushmaster site), but they look like might be a little painful on the hands.  Is there one more like the one on the Les Baer that I can get with the full Picatinny rail on top, and partial rails on the sides and bottom?

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 10:18:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Oh, do you all have any thoughts on the AR's available from Wilson Combat?  Are they a little over priced like the Les baer's, or would they be a good one to look at as well?
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 10:20:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Skip Wilson Combat, you can spec out a better rifle yourself for the same price.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 11:26:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Considering some of the mods it sounds like you want to do maybe you should just start out with a Bushmaster Modular Carbine.  Not sure if you noticed that one yet.  Flip sights, railed fore end, better grip, and skeleton stock standard.  The bipod would be easy to attach and you'd have an A3 flat top upper to mount that ACOG on.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 11:28:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Buy a lower out of the EE and order an accesorized LMT M4 upper.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 8:45:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Where’s a good place to get after market parts from?  I ordered a Brownells catalog the other day, but are their prices good?  Should I maybe stick with the parts that Bushmaster has on their site instead?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 9:03:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 1:20:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for the links BookHound.  There’s some really good stuff on those sites.

Ok, what do you guys think about this.  I get the Bushmaster 16” A3 standard model and shoot it for about a month or so ‘till I get really comfortable with and figure out just what I want.  After that, I’ll customize it.  I’m guessing this would probably be the smartest thing to do, right?

Link Posted: 9/16/2004 1:27:50 PM EDT
[#15]
You can do better on the price of the gun, I think.

check out impactguns.com & aimsurplus.com

They have the A3 16 inch for $760.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/copy_of_XM15_E2S_16__M4_A2_Carbine.html

I don't think you can go wrong getting any version of the A3 unless you get something really weird and expensive.  So go ahead and buy one.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 1:37:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 1:42:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Bushmaster all the way!!!!

Les Baer's customer service is a joke....no, it's pathetic really.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 4:21:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Another vote for bushmaster. Les Baer assembles fine firearms, but they probably use a lot of the same components that Bushmaster does, few make their own parts in house any more. not even Bushmaster.

If I had to choose between only those two, definitely Bushmaster.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 8:10:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Thanks a bunch for all your help guys, you all are the best!

I went out to the gun shop tonight, and here's my new baby.   Bushmaster A3 16in Carbine.  Wow it's nice!  I just need to join an outdoor range so I can shoot it.

30 round clips, here I come. http://img85.exs.cx/img85/261/myar.jpg
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 8:15:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Congratulations on your new Bushy!
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 8:16:01 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I went out to the gun shop tonight, and here's my new baby.   Bushmaster A3 16in Carbine.  Wow it's nice!  I just need to join an outdoor range so I can shoot it.

30 round clips, here I come.

img85.exs.cx/img85/261/myar.jpg

Very cool my friend!

Enjoy ! ! !
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 8:30:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Yes, have fun.

Link Posted: 9/16/2004 9:18:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Thanks, I feel so happy inside right now.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 10:04:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Welcome to the family!
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 10:21:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Welcome and congratulations are in order, but beware: this may be your first AR, but it won't be your last.  BRD (Black Rifle Disease) is a hard one to shake...  
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 10:25:23 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

30 round clips, here I come.

img85.exs.cx/img85/261/myar.jpg

I've never seen a 30 round clip before, tell me, what do they look like?

J/K  around here we use correct nomenclature, ie:  The "Clip" you are talking about is a "Magazine".  You charge a magazine with "Clips"  that hold 10 rounds each.  

Welcome aboard!
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 10:33:56 PM EDT
[#27]
My first rifle is exactly like yours.  Researched for a bit, and finally picked it out earlier this year. So far, it's been such a sweet relationship.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 10:44:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Bushmaster
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 12:01:47 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I'd rather have 2 Bushmasters, maybe a carbine & a regular length than a Les Baer. It would cost you about the same amount too!

couldnt have said it better
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 1:22:47 AM EDT
[#30]
Have you looked at model1sales.com? Buy your lower and build it youself. Save some money and buy more ammo.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 2:07:29 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 4:55:56 AM EDT
[#32]
Congratulations on the new Bushmaster!  You made the right decision.  I would recommend the new Larue railed forend.  Since you dont have a muzzle brake it should be a snap to install.

Link Posted: 9/17/2004 5:28:04 AM EDT
[#33]
Why Oh Why did you get the neutered version!!?

I'd send it back and get one with the bbl threaded...dang!

What about a bayonette lug?

I'd be pissed.

That is a great rifle though... you'll be pleased (except for the unthreaded bbl part)
I'll bet you you'll want to add something to the end of that thing like a FS or compensator very soon! It's about 50-75 bucks to thread it.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 5:58:49 AM EDT
[#34]
I have a Bushmaster and I love it. I have never seen a Les Baer except in photos and I bet some of our friends advising Bushmaster haven't either. If you do end buying a Bushy they will put on anything they sell free. True, you can save $ shoping around but if this is your first AR some of these aftermarket venders can be frustrating. I have had excellent service from Bushmaster.
They will put together a rifle and have it at your FFL in no time and stand behind every gee-gaw
on it. If this were my first that's the way I would go and maybe piece toghther the second. There will be a second and probably a third.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top