Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/15/2004 7:29:19 PM EDT
I had to drill my old one out so I could swap my loop to my new barrel.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 7:31:54 PM EDT
[#1]
roll pins work well. most hardware stores should have the right size.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 7:32:39 PM EDT
[#2]
What?  Your new barrel didn't come with one?    Other than that, I don't know if HD carries the rivet.  You could order it and a LULA from ADCO and have it shipped for $4, though
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 7:37:14 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
What?  Your new barrel didn't come with one?    Other than that, I don't know if HD carries the rivet.  You could order it and a LULA from ADCO and have it shipped for $4, though

Yeah I should blame adco for not sending one. jk
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 9:22:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Personally, I'd just spend the $20 or so for a side sling adapter from Adco, Eagle Firearms, or any of the other vendors who support this board and carry RRA parts.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 10:43:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 9:56:44 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
The style and length of the rivet makes it a specialty product that isn't likely to be found in a Home Depot.

-Troy

+1

Next time carefully push the rivets ridge in with a srewdriver all the way around and then use a small punch to knock it out.  You can reuse is and put it in place on another barrel by backing it up with a hammer and hitting the rivet side with a small bearing or possibly BB to sittting on the hole and a Big hammer doing the talking.  It wont be as good as new, but it will work and mine has never tried to come out.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 11:06:23 PM EDT
[#7]
how do you remove it?  If I can remove mine, i'll send it to you if you pay for shipping.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 11:08:32 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I had to drill my old one out so I could swap my loop to my new barrel.

I have some rivots on hand for $.  Send me an IM.

mark
[email protected]
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 4:56:27 AM EDT
[#9]
If you aren't concerned with it looking "original" and small allen head screw will fit .....it starts kinda tight, but seems to actually thread in as it goes......can't remember what size....#6, #8, #10?????

I've done this many times and it works good.

Before someone calls me a dumbass...I know the hole isn't threaded
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 5:04:07 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
roll pins work well. most hardware stores should have the right size.

The original retainer on the barrels was, in fact, a roll pin.  I still haven't figured out why the heck they went to the rivet in the first place

While it's no problem to find the right diameter roll pin, you might have to settle for getting a somewhat longer piece, and filing the length down. Not a problem; just a little extra work
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 7:38:21 AM EDT
[#11]
I used a smaller punch that fit inside the cup of the rivit and drove it out carefully.  it rolled back the flange on the rivit and it is reusable.  I have a side sling adaptor however.  it you want that pin I will mail it to you.  Just email me or IM me.

Link Posted: 9/17/2004 9:57:04 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
If you aren't concerned with it looking "original" and small allen head screw will fit .....it starts kinda tight, but seems to actually thread in as it goes......can't remember what size....#6, #8, #10?????

I've done this many times and it works good.

Before someone calls me a dumbass...I know the hole isn't threaded

Sounds good to me.  Nothing dumb at all about it as long as its not a safe queen.  I also like the roll pin idea.  You can hammer on it a turn it into a rivet.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top