Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/15/2004 5:16:44 PM EDT
The Mini-Y comp was a pain in the butt to grind off.  I had to drill out one of the pins that held the brake in place, but I drilled through one side of the barrel.  After I removed the Mini-Y, I threaded a Phantom in it's place.  Will the hole that is now covered by the flash hider cause any problems with safety or accuracy?
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 5:28:06 PM EDT
[#1]
It won't help, take it to a smith and see if he can fill it in and run a rifling bit down the bore. If not, get it lathed down and cut to 11.5 and install a xm177 FH.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 5:35:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Trick, did it go all  the way through?  if not, I  wouldnt worry about it.

TG
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 5:39:15 PM EDT
[#3]
It went all the way through one side of the barrel.  When I look down the chamber side of the barrel I can see a small indention that before covered with the FH was a hole, but there is nothing pertruding into the line of fire.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 5:43:54 PM EDT
[#4]
can you get us a pic?
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 5:45:18 PM EDT
[#5]
No, I don't have a digital camera.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 5:45:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Hard to picture exactly what you did by your description, but if your drill bit entered the bore of the barrel, you will have problems.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 6:16:10 PM EDT
[#7]
From what you said it sounds like you messed up the barrel, if you can see a dent on the inside of the barrel even if the hole isn't thur the metal in that spot will be on the thin side.  If it's a 16" barrel you can have it cut back a bit and have the Phantom permenatly installed so the OAL will be 16" or more.   I've said it before and I'll say it again, sometimes it's better to spend a few bucks and have a gunsmith do the job rather then take a chance of messing it up and having to pay one anyway to fix it later. The easy way to "fix" it would be to just order a new barrel. AR barrels are all that hard to swap out with the right tools and normally headspace will be fine if you use new parts. I'd still get a headspace gauge to check it but it's nothing like putting a barrel on a bolt gun where you need a lathe to turn off some of the barrel to set the headspace. Don't feel bad, I've messed up a gun or two in my day and had to shell out money to get em' fixed. Live and learn.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 6:20:03 PM EDT
[#8]
This is bad news.  Best place to buy a Bushmaster barrel, anyone?
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 6:25:59 PM EDT
[#9]
MiniY usually means 14.5" barrel already, so you may be SOL on a repair on that one.  The barrel isn't 100% junk, as someone may be interested in SBRing it.  Let me know if you want to get rid of it.  I'd be interested in it.  I could better evaluate if it was junk or not with a pic, but as you said, that isn't possible.

Sorry to hear about that, but good luck with your search for a new barrel.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 6:27:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Personally, I'd take it to a gunsmith and let them take a look at it. He may have a neat little "fix" that he can do that'll save you from buying a new barrel. Like I said, he may just cut it and re-thread it and permatly attach the FH to keep you legal. As for a new barrel, check the EE, I'm sure someone would have one and you might be able to work out a swap with your barrel to someone wanting to do a SBR.  Of course, if you've got an extra $200 sitting around you can always apply for a SBR and when you get it have your damaged barrel cut and threaded. Heck, this may be Gods way of telling you to make your gun a SBR.LOL.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 6:33:19 PM EDT
[#11]
TNF is right.  If you punched through, they could remove as much of the hanging debris as possible and do a semi barrel lap to smooth out the rough edges.  Don't know how that would work on a chrome lined barrel, but it works great of bolt gun barrels that are gummed up with copper and powder debris.  Asking a 'smith wouldn't hurt and may save you some money and your barrel.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 6:33:57 PM EDT
[#12]

Heck, this may be Gods way of telling you to make your gun a SBR.LOL.

Yeah, and that's what I can tell my wife to justify spending the extra $.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 6:38:43 PM EDT
[#13]
You could also have the bbl sleeved and make a 22 upper, the FH that you use will hide the hole.  $65 fix IIRC.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 6:42:15 PM EDT
[#14]

the FH that you use will hide the hole

The flash hider is already hiding the hole.  You can only see where the hole was when you look down the barrel.  It's sort of difficult to explain without a pic.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 6:57:44 PM EDT
[#15]
I'd just shoot it,if it doesnt key  hole, than dont worry about it, I've seen  ported barrels before,  that it didnt hurt accuracy none etc.

TG
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 4:34:19 PM EDT
[#16]
I spoke with a gunsmith.  He's going to weld the hole shut, then permanantly install the Phantom over top of it.  $80... done deal.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top