Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/15/2004 11:49:38 AM EDT
I own two Colt AR-15's.  One pre-ban, one no ban(post ban)  Good or bad, that's what I bought.  I didn't know that much about them then and I don't know a whole heck of a lot about them now.  Some of the lingo on here and all the initials used for the various companies and the various accessories for these guns is sometimes hard to follow.  Anyway....

The pre-ban I have has the flash hider installed but no bayonet lug.  It's a standard A2 upper.  I would like to add the lug and I'd also like to have a flat top upper.  How difficult would it be to make these changes?  What tools would I need, where can I get parts.  Should I just replace the upper with one I want from RRA(there's those initials) or Bushmaster and stick it on the lower.  Would that be cheaper than trying to change out the FSB(more initials) and the upper receiver?

The no ban is a 16" rifle, flat top.  Again, I'd like the lug but it's useless on the 16' barrel.  Although I see RRA has a mid length hand guard upper that should allow the M-9 bayonet to fit the gun like it does on a 20 model.  Is this actually the case?  I can thread the barrel(brother is a machinist) so the flash hider is easy enough.  

Should I just sell these and start over?  Seems like that would be expensive though.  What are your thoughts on having mixed uppers and lowers.  Is this a common thing to do or do most people like to have matching uppers and lowers?  Does it really make any difference?

Someone on another board said there was a thread going on here someplace that guys with pre-94 rifles were tying to help guys out that had state bans still in place but they are allowed to have pre-94 guns(NY I think) and they were trading post ban lowers for pre-ban lowers?  I might be interested in that.  Can anyone point out that thread?

Anyway, what's the best way to deal with these two rifles?  I'm not afraid to modify stuff myself.  I've just never messed with an AR.  I've built AK-47's and FAL's though.

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 11:57:44 AM EDT
[#1]
In regards to your pre-ban, I would get a whole new A3 (flattop) upper with whatever barrel you want.

Cost would be $400-$500, depending on who you go with for the work... fully custom number would cost more.

Dunno bout your postban.... its easy for me to say "get a whole new upper!" when I know we all don't have loads of cash.

- BG
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 12:07:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Snip...
Someone on another board said there was a thread going on here someplace that guys with pre-94 rifles were tying to help guys out that had state bans still in place but they are allowed to have pre-94 guns(NY I think) and they were trading post ban lowers for pre-ban lowers? I might be interested in that. Can anyone point out that thread?
snip

Just repost this as "Will Trade Pre Ban Lower for No Ban..."  they'll find you.

also it really will be easier to start over and get what you know what you want.  Try a Rock River Arms (RRA) all the quality of Colt and 70% of the cost.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 12:13:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Welcome gaspipes.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top