Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/15/2004 7:34:53 AM EDT
OK, one of my LEO buddies has an Armalite, with that noisy obnoxious brake.  How is this monstrosity removed?  Is it pressed on?  Screwed on and pinned?  He would like to replace it with a normal A2 FH.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 8:18:26 AM EDT
[#1]
I know its at least pinned, and possibly welded....

I need the answer to this one too.  Are Armalites threaded under that hideous brake?  
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 8:50:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Pre-2003 rifles are threaded, pinned and welded.  2003/2004 rifles have a pressed on and pinned brake as I understand it.

I removed the brake on an older Armalite AR15... milled the brake away to expose the pin, removed it, then cut the brake on opposite ends to release it.  It was threaded on to tight to simply unscrew.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 10:30:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Where on brake is the pin?  On bottom?

Nevermind, found an Armalite post on this.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=62&t=201539

I assume this applies to the AR15 models, too.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 1:00:07 PM EDT
[#4]
What i am hearing then is that the barrel on my AR-15 is not threaded.  The brake is pressed on.  Perhaps i am in denial.  But would you kindly concurr?  The way the bolt side of the brake is flattened on both sides makes me optimistic that perhaps it is threaded, in that it was made as such to accomodate a wrench.

Image links below.

images5.theimagehosting.com/PICT0144.jpg

images5.theimagehosting.com/PICT0145.jpg

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 2:23:01 PM EDT
[#5]

I used the split and pry method...worked perfectly.  Of course I had an older barrel with the pin on the bottom going straight up into the bottom of the barrel.  It was a 1/4" size dot rather than the pin running out both sides of the brake.

Check this, it might be helpful.

ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=62&t=201048

Good Luck
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:30:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks, I guess what i need is someone that can definitively say thet my Armalite  barrel is threaded, or the muzzle brake has peen pressed on.

Photos here again if anyway may know:  

Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:22:36 AM EDT
[#7]
call the factory directly to find out, they will need your ser. number.
1 800 336 0184
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:53:24 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Thanks, I guess what i need is someone that can definitively say thet my Armalite  barrel is threaded, or the muzzle brake has peen pressed on.

Photos here again if anyway may know:  

Sorry to say, but there are no threads under there.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:10:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Does the upper have a serial number?  Why am i thinking not?   I assembled the lower on an Eagle Arms reciever from Quantico Arms with an Armalight Trigger kit.  And also,  bought a complete Armalite upper for  $500.00 big ones,  and only last year.  

I am so bumming that theres another "no threads" vote.  
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top