Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/14/2004 5:55:26 PM EDT
Hey guys,

I installed a VLTOR carbine buffer tube on my 2001 Bushmaster and I'm having problems indexing it.

At the point that I have it attached now, the buffer tube just barely catches the edge of the buffer retainer pin.  I looked at a couple of my factory Colts that have carbine stocks on them and the buffer tube cover approximately 50% of the space from the edge of the buffer retainer pin to the area where the pin sticks up (I hope that makes sense)

So I turned the stock one more time 360 degrees and then the buffer tube was pushing up against the buffer retainer pin and binding the pin so it could not be depressed.  While in this position the top of the buffer tube protruded from the top of the part of the lower receiver that holds the buffer tube.  It looks like this would prevent me from closing the upper receiver.

I removed the buffer tube and tried to re-index it (ie. instead of starting the threading with the toe of the stock pointing down, I tried to start threading the buffer tube with the toe of the stock pointing up) but the threads would not grab until the toe of the stock was pointing down.

So the problem that I'm having is in one position the buffer tube is barely covering the edge of the buffer retainer pin, and if I rotate the buffer one more time, it is then covering too much of the buffer retaining pin, causing it to bind and too much of the buffer tube is protruding through the lower receiver, preventing me from closing the upper..........Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Jeff
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 9:12:24 PM EDT
[#1]
i had this problem on a no name coll.stock a few years ago
i ended up taking a file to the end of the buffer tube to remove enough metal to allow the upper to close and a little off the bottom for clearance for the plunger, it seemed to work just fine other than looking a little uneven on the end.
i used a sharpie marker to color the bare metal, unless you really look it's not noticeable  
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top