Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/14/2004 5:02:42 AM EDT
I'm not sure what happened, I posted this question yesterday but I can't seem to find the thread now to see if anyone replied.

I'm in the Army in Iraq, and my issue weapon is an M4.  I've been looking at the Colt website to see their models, and the LE6921 is the closest (legal) thing I can find to my M4.

There was a post that said the 6921's were hard to come by.  Is this true?  Or was it true because of the AWB?  

Does anyone think it will be possible for me to find one when I return to Oregon in about 6 months?  I know some of you guys are dealers, do you know if this is a hard-to-get weapon from Colt?

Thanks.

Oh yeah, one more thing.  Since the barrel is 14.5" long, does the standard built-on M16A2 flash supressor/compensator make it meet the 16" requirements?
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 8:45:00 AM EDT
[#1]
I think it was me that said they were hard to come by... in Canada that it is anyway. They seem near impossible to export to Canada being less than a 16" barrel. However, they are legal to buy and own here by non LEO's.

I know SAW has them, as that is where I tried to get one from a while back to have exported to the Colt importer in Canada... R Nicholls I believe.

www.sawlesales.com/firearm.html
www.sawlesales.com/jsps/sku.jsp?field=Part&value=LE6921
www.sawlesales.com/jsps/sku.jsp?field=Part&value=LE6921HB (obvioulsy a 16" in the pic)

Their prices are pretty ridiculous though at $1695US

I tried calling Colt directly to get some answers as well, but it was just a waste of time really. Even my local gun shop was given a hard time and I ended up getting the 6920 only because it was in stock.

From what I have heard so far, the AWB expiry does not apply to barrels less than 16" unless you are a LEO. Someone can correct me here, as well as address your other questions.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 9:00:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Being an LEO doesn't help either.  Class 3 weapons (including Short Barelled Rifles) must be procured through a department/agency order.  Invididual officers can't do a letterhead purchase.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 9:24:34 AM EDT
[#3]
So if it's a 14.5" barrel with a permanently attached A2 compensator/flash supressor, it's still an SBR?  

Sounds like I may end up having to get the 6920.  It just seems so long, compared to my M4.  Almost looks like a full legnth M16A2 barrel with short handguards!  I'm sure it's really not, it just looks that way to me.

And is it still an LEO, since the sunset?  Colt's website hasn't changed yet to reflect any Post-Post-Ban stuff.  I'm wondering if it will move into the "Commercial" category of their site.

I'm sure this is all stuff I could ask a local gunstore owner or dealer, but I'm just a bit too far away at the moment.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 9:18:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Anyone?

I read the thread here about the Colt 6920's being shoddy looking and low in numbers...
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 9:36:31 AM EDT
[#5]
The two I have seen have been of excellent quality.  Maybe someone has an axe to grind...

...or maybe not, the match target models I have seen have been hit or miss
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 10:05:55 AM EDT
[#6]
I don't have an axe to grind, but I recently received a 6920 (LEO order) and it was certainly shoddy.  The lower receiver had nasty, deep "pitting" on the outer surface (forging defects).  The Parkerizing on the barrel was spotty with areas of bare steel showing through.  The flash suppressor was no aligned correctly.  The feed ramp cuts were far from smooth: they had significant tool mark grooves left in them.

I've also seen/used some excellent Colt carbines (we have several where I work), but I'm concerned that QC may have taken a dip from what I'm accustomed to from Colt.  I sent this one to Colt immediately upon receipt, hopefully they'll do me right.

urmynv: I don't see how you could possibly purchase a 6921 (legally).  I guess the best bet would be to get a 6920 (will be hard to to 6 mo's from now), and have the barrel switched to a 14.5.  I don't think the A2 flash suppressor will get you to 16", you'll have to get the longer Phantom or Vortex FS pinned on.  You can also order a Bushmaster with a 14.5 and a Phantom already attached.  I don't think it will have the M4 feed ramps, however.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 10:49:46 AM EDT
[#7]
My LE6920 has thin parkerizing on some areas of the barrel and a few tiny spots from the forging process-cosmetic issues only, this puppy's a shooter.  
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 3:45:13 PM EDT
[#8]
If you go with the #6921, you have two choices:

1. Register it as an SBR.

2. Have a Phantom or Vortex flash suppressor permanently attached to bring the barrel out to the 16" legal limit. The A2 flash suppressor is about a half inch too short to work.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 4:36:21 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Anyone?

I read the thread here about the Colt 6920's being shoddy looking and low in numbers...

That's someone who currently has no 6920's in stock.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 7:29:33 AM EDT
[#10]
How would I go about option number two?  Would the gunstore/dealer be able to order this type of configuration, or perform the modification himself?  I'm under the impression that I would not be able to order it from Colt with a third-party flash supressor permanently built on.  Or perhaps I should not be looking at Colt..  I see a lot of good stuff on here for Bushmaster and RRA.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top