Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/13/2004 7:19:38 PM EDT
While not new to the AR world, I hadn't shot one since I sold my 16" HBAR Colt 5 years ago until this weekend when I shot my first DCM match.  What a blast!  Anyway, I now have the bug, and want to buy/built a DCM rifle.  As always, price is an issue, but I would hate to buy a standard A2 only to add a free float barrel, sights, new trigger, etc later on.  Unfortunately, my local DCM club doesn't have a junior shooting program, so the CMP subsidized Bushmaster is out.  What would you guys suggest? Should I buy a new DCM such as the Bushmaster, or should I build one?  If I should build one, what should I buy for components?  Thanks for the advise!
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 7:45:10 PM EDT
[#1]
You really should ask this in the Competition forum....

How serious do you want to take this, and how good are you now? I have to ask because newbies usually aren't accurate enough to capitalize on all those fancy goodies.

A good quality off-the-shelf rifle with basic service class modifications (tube, trigger job, small rear aperture) would still be cheaper than a high-end build and can take you all the way in to Expert class, maybe into Master if the gods smile on your barrel.  Practice will get you a lot farther than expensive accessories.

Later on, as your skills appreciate, you can add on more and more stuff. (2-stage trigger, NM sight base, high-end match barrel, etc)

EDITED TO ADD:
If you start with an off-the-shelf rifle, be sure to get one with a 1:8 twist or faster unless you plan to stick with reduced courses only.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top