Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/13/2004 4:52:10 PM EDT
All:

I just traded my post ban AR.  It's time to replace it.  

Here is what I am thinking of.  Would you all please let me know if I am on the right track, or if there is something else I should be looking at?

RRA Tactical Entry

http://www.rockriverarms.com/images/rentry.gif

I want the collapsible stock on the LE model of this, with a flash hider.  

What else should I consider in that price range?  What about the configuration?  Is there better?

Thanks a million.

B
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 5:20:25 PM EDT
[#1]
I have that rifle, and it is awesome. I suggest letting them keep the removable tactical carry handle, and installing an aimpoint M2 or ML2 on the ARMS cantilever mount. With collapsible stock and light weight, it is way cool. You would want to order it with chrome lined barrell and get an Arms#40 Buis, or the Larue model. They are both great.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 5:21:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Many here don't like the tactical carry handle from RRA for some reason.
I will say, it seems like extra weight.
Some say the finger holes are too small to use.
There was also a problem with co-witnessing, and the height of the handle. (I'm not real sure what the issue is with, I've never had one)
I would suggest you order in parts.  you can save $70-100 by not ordering a complete rifle.
There's a use tax you pay on complete rifles.
Order a complete upper, and a complete lower, then order a 30 roun mag, and you are good to go.

Oh yeah, check out ADCO for you RRA needs.  Best price.  But sadly, eveyone seems to be out of RRA lowers right now.  You can try Stag Arms.  They are purported to be manufactured by the people that make RRA's lower.  

I'd keep an eye toward the equipment exchange for a lower receiver.  I can't find any anywhere right now for some reason.

Here's my recent NOBAN
Seems similar to what you are looking at.
I am going to turn down the barrel, and shorten it to 14.5 soon.
With YHM 2-piece handguard... ~$120 from EE.

Link Posted: 9/13/2004 5:25:48 PM EDT
[#3]

installing an aimpoint M2 or ML2 on the ARMS cantilever mount

So your Aimpoint would be canted to the side?  Just making sure I understand that.  And that is workable?  Prefereable to regular?  Are most people liking the Aimpoints versus the EOTech or similar?

Guess I need a lower then. . .

Thanks for the advice!!!!

B
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 7:18:27 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

installing an aimpoint M2 or ML2 on the ARMS cantilever mount

So your Aimpoint would be canted to the side?  Just making sure I understand that.  And that is workable?  Prefereable to regular?  Are most people liking the Aimpoints versus the EOTech or similar?

Guess I need a lower then. . .

Thanks for the advice!!!!

B

No the cant is forward as in straight ahead--putting it out further to the foregrip.  
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 7:25:15 PM EDT
[#5]
definitely the AIMPOINTS over EOTECHS around here.
but if you notice the gun pic threads from Iraq, you'll see a lot of EOTECHS, too.
(#1 would be ACOG)
You can't really argue with those guys, who put their life on the line based on the equip.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 11:43:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Good point. . .

So, do you have a pic of the mount you are suggesting?  I see several.  

Thanks so much for the help.  

Also, the ACOG are very nice, but I am afraid they may have a daylight disadvantage.  If one is shooting at a dark target in the daytime, and the crosshairs are black, and not red, then wouldn't that make the Aimpoint more versatile?

Maybe I am missing something.

Thanks!

B
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 5:56:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Have you read the Optics FAQ thread in the OPTICS FORUM?
It shows the pictures from all the different optics available, so you'll ave a good idea what you want.
Are you willing to spend the $900-1100 for the ACOG?  If not, your search just got simpler.
From what I've read, the AIMPOINTS are darn near indestructable.
Another plus is they have a 10,000 hour battery life when left on. That is over 400 days.
I don't own one yet, so I can neither confirm nor deny. These are just pieces I've picked up while
looking around for my own optic.  Perhaps someone with some experience can speak up.

As far as mounts, I've seen several that work.  
There is a A.R.M.S. cantilever mount that is pretty nice. (you need the spacer, too) ($125 for both) Gets bonus points for quick detach throw arm.
GG&G makes a straight one ($160) and a cantilevered one ($200)
PRi makes a straight one ($170)

Let's face it.  We are all concerned with how our rifle looks.
The smartest among us, will be most concerned about how it functions.
But, after we narrow it down to one or two high quality options, it will likely boil down to which is the best looking, as well as best price.

If I'm wrong about the options available, someone please strighten me out, before I waste a bunch of money, and give some bad advice.
Like I said, this is just info I've come across on ARFCOM while trying to decide what I want.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top