Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/13/2004 12:49:46 PM EDT
After a long time in the market for a pre-ban i finally bought a rock river post ban last year.  now 1400 dollars vs 800 dollars is a huge difference to me.  now today i can buy a pre ban spec ar for the same price i paid for my post ban.  how do the folks who spent the money for their pre bans ever make up the difference?
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 12:51:18 PM EDT
[#1]
They don't.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 12:51:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 1:03:41 PM EDT
[#3]

how do the folks who spent the money for their pre bans ever make up the difference?

You are assuming that the have to make it up.

Bill
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 1:09:27 PM EDT
[#4]
i perhaps mistated my opening comment.   what i mean is that if i wanted a hk91 now would the value have changed?  i know hk no longer makes them and i can now buy a varient at preban specs.  but i want the hk name on it.  will the value change?  should have added that to my original post
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 1:18:40 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
i perhaps mistated my opening comment.   what i mean is that if i wanted a hk91 now would the value have changed?  i know hk no longer makes them and i can now buy a varient at preban specs.  but i want the hk name on it.  will the value change?  should have added that to my original post

HKs were under the 89 Import Ban, and are still banned. Same with the other imported weapons. Their value will stay up pretty much, though it WILL be down from the highs.

The domesticly produced weapons will revert to a price in line with new production, unless there is some rarity that consigns them to the true collector ststus.

Run of the mill shooters will be valued at around the same as a used current model.

JMHO

Lonny
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 1:28:54 PM EDT
[#6]
You wait till the price for any AR is 1500 then you will have a deal. They were 250 for Colts when I first saw one.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 1:30:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 1:41:56 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm making up my loss by being happy that the BAN IS OVER.
I sold off most of my "prebans" awhile ago. The ones I kept, I did so because I liked them alot.
I don't care about the fact they are worth less money now. I had rifles configured the way I wanted during the ban.
Money well spent to have things my way, not a ban's way. The money is spent. Written off.
I didn't buy them for "investment". I enjoyed every one of them.

~ s0ulzer0
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 2:09:11 PM EDT
[#9]
s0ulzer0

I feel pretty much the same way. I had a green box H-BAR 6600? which I had since 1988 and had put thousand and thousands of rounds down range. The rifle was in 95%+ condition, as I am funny in that way. I sold it to for a pretty good mutually agreeable price and later bought a NIB Govt Carbine 6520 for a few bucks more. Now on the surface I paid a pretty good price for the 6520, but considering the $550 I paid for the HBAR, I did fine on the 6520. Will I sell the 6520? No, it says Colt AR-15 on the side and I like that, a lot. All in all, I probably have less in this rifle than I could buy a new non-ban rifle today.

Bill
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 2:24:53 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I sold off most of my "prebans" awhile ago. The ones I kept, I did so because I liked them alot.
I don't care about the fact they are worth less money now. I had rifles configured the way I wanted during the ban.
Money well spent to have things my way, not a ban's way. The money is spent. Written off.

~ s0ulzer0

Amen brother! Best money I ever lost! Same for the preban mags I bought...at pretty good prices, actually...for my Glocks. I am keeping my preban guns because I like them AND because there is exactly NO guarantee that another ban won't happen at some future date, which just may "grandfather' all guns and mags built before the original 94 ban. Likely? No. Possible? Unfortunately, yes. This is about politics...it does not have to make sense!
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 2:28:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Don't look it as having lost money. Look at it as being able to buy a slightly different cosmetic version of a banned gun that you able to shoot it during the ban. Now it has been somewhat devalued, but you still got to use it during the ban.

Did you perchance buy a new car during that 10 year period of firearm darkness? How much did you pay for it when it was new? How much less was it worth when you sold it? (or how much less is it worth now if you still have it?) Did you loose money on the car? No, you got your use out of it. Same thing.

The nice thing is that you can have those cosmetic items put back on it now, or not if you don't want to put any more cash into it.

Link Posted: 9/13/2004 2:29:47 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

~ s0ulzer0

Amen brother! Best money I ever lost! Same for the preban mags I bought...at pretty good prices, actually...for my Glocks. I am keeping my preban guns because I like them AND because there is exactly NO guarantee that another ban won't happen at some future date, which just may "grandfather' all guns and mags built before the original 94 ban. Likely? No. Possible? Unfortunately, yes. This is about politics...it does not have to make sense!

I agree. $1200 dollars and 2 years later, I am happy to see the end of the AWB
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 2:52:34 PM EDT
[#13]
My $1600 preban isn't worth $600 anymore, but who cares.

The law of supply and demand takes over from here.  There will be very little demand, mostly from the states that allow "preban" weapon ownership.  If you want to hold on to your $1600+ preban rifle and hope to get that for it, you may be waiting a very long time to find a customer for it, but you never know - someone may bite on it.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 3:01:22 PM EDT
[#14]
I guess prebans will hold value in states that aren't as fortunate as the majority of us are today, but probably just a little less.  If I had a preban, I'd be trading it to someone in an AWB state for a new noban, but I think that the average person that doesn't have the knowledge that we (the lucky ARCOMer's have in this great site) do, they will pay higher prices for preban.

Link Posted: 9/13/2004 3:10:18 PM EDT
[#15]
I pretty much thought that the AWB would be history back when the elephants beat the donkeys and we had the house, senate and white house.  Especially since the donkeys really paid for getting the AWB passed in the first place.

I still wanted roll marks like AR-15, Govt Model, Govt Carbine, Colt Carbine, etc.

I have them and am still as happy, ban or no ban.  I would not come close to trading one of my rare Colts for a new rifle.

Some folks could care less.  Different strokes, I guess.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 3:22:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Whats a "pre-ban"?
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 3:37:47 PM EDT
[#17]
I paid $1100 for mine. "20 barrel with a free float tube and rail system. Since then I bought a carbine upper and I would switch the uppers back forth on the lower. The way I look at it is I can now pick up another lower at a good price and build up two rifles with all of the features I want. So I am okay with it.  
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 3:41:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Unfortunately here in New York we are still bound by the language of the Federal law as it was incorporated into state law back in 2000 without a sunset.  On the upside, unlike CA, NJ and a few other states, we are grandfathered and can still buy and sell what were called "pre-ban's" as well as weapons that meet the "post-ban" criteria (no folding stock, bayonet lug or flash suppressor and no hicap magazines manufactured after 9/13/1994).  So New York is still a market for those items though hopefully the prices will become more reasonable now.  I would love to get a few of the newer teflon coated pre-9/13/1994 30 rounders to try out.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top