Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/13/2004 6:56:04 AM EDT
Are they any good? the price is right, i was thinking about picking one up for my Bushmaster 16".

my next question is [providing YH is good stuff!] once i get the fore end, for it to be installed should i just take it to my local gun smith? they give me a pretty good rate on labor there so that isnt really an issue. i assume they take off the bbl remove the handgaurds and delta ring and slip on the new YH rail system right?

sorry if i'm a little lost on all this, i'm just starting to customize my AR and some of its pretty new to me. thanks a bunch

Link Posted: 9/13/2004 7:06:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Placed one of my 24" rifle, lighter than some of the ones currently being hawked as lite-weight on the EE and I'm happy with it.

Installed it myself, removed gas block as my 24" didn't have standard FSB, the older, heavier, solid type free-float HG and replaced it with the YHM. Installed new barrel nut, threaded on new tube and aligned it with the existing flat-top rails, tightened it down, added rail covers, bipod studs and sling studs from the older HG and have had not problems since. Easy peesey japanesee......

Good product IMO.

Mike
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 7:07:17 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Are they any good? the price is right, i was thinking about picking one up for my Bushmaster 16".

Yes they are fairly good.  I've got one comming for my next project.

should i just take it to my local gun smith? they give me a pretty good rate on labor there so that isnt really an issue.

If you can't do it yourself - then send the upper into Yankee Hill for them to install it - I doubt if your local smith can beat their price or expertise.

i assume they take off the bbl remove the handgaurds and delta ring and slip on the new YH rail system right?

Yes to all that - plus you have to remove the front sight assembly - which can be a real bear.

sorry if i'm a little lost on all this, i'm just starting to customize my AR and some of its pretty new to me. thanks a bunch

That's what where here for.

BTW which rail system are you looking at?  The 4 free float systems need gunsmithing to install - but they also have a non floating system that doesn't require any gunsmithing.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 7:40:45 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm assuming you have a carbine (very short handguard)

You have two options with YHM.

1.They make a free float version (all one piece - mounts as a sleeve, over barrel, attaches at base of barrel, via a locking nut)
2.They make a 2-piece that mounts just like the plastic handguards, under the delta ring (the spring held piece that holds your handguards in currently)

What are you going to do with your gun?  are you planning to mount optics on your handguardse?  If not, I'd go the 2-piece, as you can do the swap with no tools.  If you want a free float system, you will have to do some disassembly of your barrel.  You need to remove the front sight base, and buy a special wrench to tighten the free float retaining nut.  It is not impossible and folks here can talk you through it, if you want to try.  The one thing that could be an issue would be a permanently mounted muzzle device like brake or suppressor, which are pressed or pinned/welded sometimes, and have to be removed (I think) to get the free float nut onto the barrel.

FWIW, I have the 2 piece mount and am very, very satisfied with it.
It is sturdy as hell.  I did have to torque down my barrel nut a tiny bit to get my handguard to match my A4 rail to match the YHM rail and get them lined up perfectly.  (the YHM 2 piece indexes of of your barrel nut - that sprocket looking thing) with some pins.  So the barrel nut must be perfectly aligned to have your handguards perfectly aligned.  This would not be such an issue if you have an A2 upper.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 10:42:13 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm planing on going with the Free Float Lightweight handgaurds. the current stock forend i have on now is 7.25 inches long i believe so i'll be ordering from YH to match that. i also plan on mounting optics, foregrip and a light to my AR, thus the desire for a quad rail, plus i like the way they look.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 3:05:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Yankee Hill is good stuff-I have a 16" heavy stainless w/full length 4 rail float tube-looks awsome!  Bushmaster sells/uses YHM stuff.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top