Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/13/2004 5:18:04 AM EDT
Hi Guys!

While the vast majority of you now live in an environment that is just a little bit more free, some of us still live under the cloud of a permanent AWB.  Pre-ban and Post-ban are now obsolete terms for most of you.  You can happily buy any stripped lower, and build a no-ban, fully loaded, all the options inlcuding corinthian leather  AR15.

However, for those of us in NY, "pre-ban" still matters.  If you have a decent preban, please consider the following:  If you know of a fellow shooter in NY or some other oppressive state, please consider selling your old preban to him (or her) for a realisitc price and buying a replacement new No-Ban lower.  

You won't be making any big bucks.  However, you'll still have a fully functional, full dress AR, and you'll be helping a fellow shooter in NY.  I'm one of those who lack a Preban AR.

Thanks

Frozenny
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 10:07:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Can some of the legal guys here tell me if this is legal.  If so I would support a tacked thread in the equipment exchange for this even though I dont own a pre-ban myself.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 10:12:46 PM EDT
[#2]
you know shipping AR lowers is illegal
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 10:46:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Not if done through an FFL or if your shipping it to be repaired and it comes back to you.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 10:48:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 10:49:03 PM EDT
[#5]
through a FFL is fine but to someone else, I wouldn't
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 10:52:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Interesting idea.  What would a "realistic price" be?
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 11:04:32 PM EDT
[#7]
I have heard some suggest that a fair price would be that of a new lower of your choice since new lowers are now equal legally to pre-ban lowers in non-ban states.  Buyer will  pick up any transfer fees.  I'd be all over this idea if I wasn't worried about an officer confiscating my rifle during a traffic stop (who knows what could happen, might fit a description) until I could provide hard evidence it was a real pre-NY-ban lower.  That and I'm not into collapsible stocks or flash hiders. Don't know why, just don't find them necessary on one of my rifles.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 12:06:21 PM EDT
[#8]
I'd be interested in hearing about any pre-ban Bushy lower that might be available for FFL transfer to NY.  I have two pre-ban SP1 AR-15's and I would like to build out one more NY compliant pre-ban.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 10:14:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Ok, I live in Buffalo NY and are you guys telling me that the AWB crap still pertains to me???  Why the hell have I been celebrating????  This sucks the fake supressor off my M4gery....someone please tell me that I have been misinformed!!!!
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 11:16:37 PM EDT
[#10]
California, New York and a few other states have their own AWB. Tough luck.

If I lived there I would SERISOULY consider moving to a free state.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 12:57:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Just to clarify, in CA we have the Year 2000 CA AWB which banned SALES (new or used, private or dealer) of any semi-auto centerfire rifle that can accept a detachable magazine and one of the following: Pistol Grip, Thumbhole stock, a Folding or Telescoping Stock, Grenade or Flare Launcher, Flash Suppressor, foward pistol grip.

HOWEVER, if you already owned the "assault weapon" and you registered it, you can do ANY "pre-ban" feature to the gun now that the Clinton AWB has died. You CAN NOT take a unregistered POST-BAN weapon (like a M1A) and make it into an "assault weapon" by installing a flash suppressor or a pistol grip stock UNLESS you, for some reason, registered it as an "assault weapon" before the cutoff date (01/2001 I think it was)

So the bottom line = The death of the Clinton AWB only allows us to modify our already existing and registered rifles to full Federal "pre-ban" (or "no-ban") configuration.

You guys in NY are lucky that you can still buy lowers as I'm sure there are plenty of people who would be willing to part with their decade plus old "pre-ban" AR lowers for a shiny new forged LMT/Colt/Bush/RRA/etc. lowers. If I lived in a "Free" state, I would be willing to part with my Colt Pre-Ban to a state that could take it (I forget which one ins't allowed to have Colts)
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 6:23:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Ok so hopefully lower prices would come down and maybe one of the nice gentlemen on here would like to sell me a pre-ban lower at a lowered rate?  I guess if that were the case then it won't be too bad, still better then before the 13th.  Feel free to email me with any offers or ideas.

Thanks,
Mike
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 9:36:26 AM EDT
[#13]
If any NY members out there intrested in a EA (essential arms) lower (stripped) let me know.  

IM me.

Link Posted: 9/19/2004 12:06:34 PM EDT
[#14]
IM sent!!!
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 12:06:51 PM EDT
[#15]
I thought pre-ban guns had to stay in the full pre-ban config when transfered?  You can transfer just the lower to NY?  
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 6:34:38 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
If any NY members out there intrested in a EA (essential arms) lower (stripped) let me know.  

IM me.

I had several IM's and worked out a deal.  Replacement cost + shipping.  I wasn't trying to make any money on the deal.  
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 6:42:43 PM EDT
[#17]
If any non-free state members out there are intrested in a pre-ban Essential Arms complete lower let me know.  I've got two (consecutive s/n) that I'll trade out (one or both) for RRA or other options.

IM me.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:46:55 AM EDT
[#18]
Lumpy:

Still willing to swap Eagle arms lowers for new Bushmasters?  I'd be interested if the EA's are veriable prebans.  NY resident here

Frozenny
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top