Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/12/2004 9:22:14 PM EDT
guys,

Please let's take our time and flood feinstein's email service.

Got to this site www.capwiz.com/nra/bio/?id=347&lvl=C&chamber=S

and send her the cope of the ATF letter below with your personal comment!!

U.S. Department of Justice

Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco,
Firearms and Explosives

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Washington, DC 20226

www.atf.gov

September 13, 2004

OPEN LETTER TO FEDERALLY LICENSED FIREARMS IMPORTERS
AND REGISTERED IMPORTERS OF U.S. MUNITIONS IMPORT LIST
ARTICLES

The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF) is committed to keeping industry members informed of statutory and regulatory developments affecting them. In furtherance of this commitment, we have prepared this open letter, which contains information about recent changes that may affect your day-to-day operations and/or long range plans.

Sunset of Bans on Semiautomatic Assault Weapons and Large Capacity Ammunition Feeding Devices

On September 13, 1994, Congress passed the Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act of 1994, Public Law 103-322. Title IX, Subtitle A, Section 110105 of this Act generally made it unlawful to manufacture, transfer, and possess semiautomatic assault weapons (SAWs) and to transfer and possess large capacity ammunition feeding devices (LCAFDs). The law also required importers and manufacturers to place certain markings on SAWs and LCAFDs, designating they were for export or law enforcement/government use. Significantly, the law provided that it would expire 10 years from the date of enactment. Accordingly, effective 12:01 a.m. on September 13, 2004, the provisions of the law will cease to apply. This open letter is to advise the import community of the effect of this on importations.

Importation of Semiautomatic Assault Weapons

There is no longer a Federal prohibition on the manufacture, transfer and possession of SAWs.

Nonsporting firearms are still prohibited from importation under 18 U.S.C. sections 922(l) and 925(d)(3). Because the vast majority of SAWs are nonsporting, they generally cannot be imported.

SAWs no longer have to be marked “restricted law enforcement/government use only” or “export only.” However, if an importer has an approved Form 6 import permit for SAWs with a restriction stamp on it related to the ban, the importer should comply with the restriction because the firearms most likely are nonsporting.

SAWs may be imported into a Customs Bonded Warehouse or Foreign Trade Zone because the sporting purposes test does not apply to these imports.

SAWs may be temporarily imported under the provisions of 27 CFR section 478.115(d) because firearms that are temporarily imported are not required to meet the sporting purposes test.
Importation of Large Capacity Ammunition Feeding Devices

LCAFDs are no longer prohibited from importation. However, they are still subject to the provisions of the Arms Export Control Act. Therefore an approved Form 6 import permit is still required.

LCAFDs will no longer have to be marked “restricted law enforcement/government use only” or “export only” and importers no longer have to collect documentation that demonstrates imports are for government sale. However, any existing records still must be maintained for a period of 5 years. See 27 CFR section 478.40a. Moreover, importers are still required to maintain their acquisition records permanently and disposition records for 20 years.

If an importer has an approved Form 6 import permit for LCAFDs with a restriction stamp on it related to the ban, the importer may import LCAFDs using the permit and disregard the restriction stamp. However, importers may apply for a new permit if they prefer.
Please note:

The provisions of 18 U.S.C. section 922(r) and 27 CFR 478.39 regarding assembly of nonsporting shotguns and semiautomatic rifles from imported parts still apply.

All provisions of the National Firearms Act (NFA) relating to registration and transfer of machineguns, short barreled rifles, weapons made from rifles, short barreled shotguns, weapons made from shotguns, any other weapons as defined in 26 USC section 5845(e), silencers, and destructive devices still apply.

USAS-12 and Striker 12/Streetsweeper shotguns are still classified as destructive devices under ATF Rulings 94-1 and 94-2 and must be possessed and transferred in accordance with the NFA.
We recognize that you may have ATF correspondence and publications that contain obsolete information. For example, a July 30, 2002 open letter discussed the importation of pre-September 13, 1994 large capacity magazines. This section of the open letter no longer must be complied with. Similarly, the ATF Federal Firearms Regulations Reference Guide and the ATF Guidebook: Importation & Verification of Firearms, Ammunitions & Implements of War contain some information that now is incorrect. We will update these publications as soon as possible. Moreover, we will provide up-to-date information on our website: www.atf.gov.

Maintaining open lines of communication is vital to the successful future of ATF’s partnership with the import community. The Firearms and Explosives Imports Branch is available to answer your questions about the issues addressed in this letter. You may reach us by phone at 202-927-8320 or by fax at 202-927-2697.

for Audrey Stucko,
Chief, Firearms and Explosives
Services Division

Link Posted: 9/13/2004 2:51:47 AM EDT
[#1]
I'd like to send her my ten round mags....
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 3:12:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Piss her off to much and she will attach a new AWBan to every bit of legislation from today until the election and sooner or later it will get to GW Bush who stated he would sign it if it got to him.  And if he doesn't sign it and Kerry gets elected then you just might have confiscations.  Is that what you want?  Democrats were on the news last night stating that they were going to attach it to every must pass bill that would be voted on by Congress.

Make a big deal out of the sunset and you will guarantee that it will not last.  She will call a news conference and in her hand will be printed copies of you emails and she will spout off about these are the nuts that now have machine guns to murder our kids.

I you want to send a letter to someone, send a letter to your congressman if he voted against restrictions telling him you will be casting your ballot for him come November.  Senators are only elected every 6 years I believe but Representatives are up for election every 2 years.  

By the way, halik.   I grew up in Michigan, own property in Cheboygan county and you have got a great former Canadian gun-grabbing female governor there so you guys will be lucky if you don't lose your right to semi-automatic rifles if you don't run her out of the state.  Good thing she can't run for president as the liberals have already talked about changing the Constitution in order for her to run.  I thought that was why our forefathers fought the revolution to keep the tyrrany of the British crown from controlling our lives and you guys go and elect a Canadian to the office of Governor.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 3:17:59 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Piss her off to much and she will attach a new AWBan to every bit of legislation from today until the election and sooner or later it will get to GW Bush who stated he would sign it if it got to him.  And if he doesn't sign it and Kerry gets elected then you just might have confiscations.  Is that what you want?  Democrats were on the news last night stating that they were going to attach it to every must pass bill that would be voted on by Congress.

Make a big deal out of the sunset and you will guarantee that it will not last.  She will call a news conference and in her hand will be printed copies of you emails and she will spout off about these are the nuts that now have machine guns to murder our kids.

I you want to send a letter to someone, send a letter to your congressman if he voted against restrictions telling him you will be casting your ballot for him come November.  Senators are only elected every 6 years I believe but Representatives are up for election every 2 years.  

He is right, never piss off a bitch! Oh, the shit storm that ensues!
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 5:43:51 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

By the way, halik.   I grew up in Michigan, own property in Cheboygan county and you have got a great former Canadian gun-grabbing female governor there so you guys will be lucky if you don't lose your right to semi-automatic rifles if you don't run her out of the state.  Good thing she can't run for president as the liberals have already talked about changing the Constitution in order for her to run.  I thought that was why our forefathers fought the revolution to keep the tyrrany of the British crown from controlling our lives and you guys go and elect a Canadian to the office of Governor.

Actually she's very much kept in check. Right now she's too busy trying to figure out how to gets us out of debt. I'm not saying I trust her, I'm staying vigilent, but seems like new gun control laws are played on and triesd to pass when there is nothing else to do so it looke like the governor actually did something.  Hell she even passed the Dove Hunting Bill that allows hunters to hunt doves in MI after 99 years and lot of yelling from the green peace bunch.  i think it would be very had for her to get anything passed of gun related nature in MI, but none the less I'm saying on a watch....

halik
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 12:42:30 PM EDT
[#5]
She's already a bitch. She can't get any worse!
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 1:03:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Here it is in her own words from her web site.  This was dated today.

Sarge

“At 12:01 this morning, the federal assault weapons ban expired. This is a very sad and discouraging day.

For ten years, the assault weapons ban has helped keep Americans safe. It has helped keep the most dangerous semi-automatic weapons off the streets.

There is no question that there are fewer of these guns and large clips on the streets today. There is no question that the American people overwhelmingly support restoration of the ban. And there is no question but that traces of banned assault weapons to crimes have decreased by two-thirds.

In this time, not one weapon owned by a law-abiding citizen has been confiscated and all rights of hunters and collectors have been protected.

In 1994, we passed a crime bill to put 100,000 cops on the street and take assault weapons off. Now, in 2004, this president has moved to take those cops off the street and has stood by as the assault weapons ban expires.

This President has stated that he supported the bill and would sign the extension, but did nothing to help us. Indeed, it is a sad day because we know this bill has saved lives, and we know that because of its expiration innocent lives will be lost.

The sunset of the ban is a giant step backward, but all Americans should know this: we will come back next year with additional legislation. We will not give up the fight. This battle is not over.”
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top