Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/12/2004 8:36:33 PM EDT
ATF web page

OPEN LETTER TO FEDERALLY LICENSED FIREARMS IMPORTERS
AND REGISTERED IMPORTERS OF U.S. MUNITIONS IMPORT LIST
ARTICLES

The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF) is committed to keeping industry members informed of statutory and regulatory developments affecting them. In furtherance of this commitment, we have prepared this open letter, which contains information about recent changes that may affect your day-to-day operations and/or long range plans.

Sunset of Bans on Semiautomatic Assault Weapons and Large Capacity Ammunition Feeding Devices

On September 13, 1994, Congress passed the Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act of 1994, Public Law 103-322. Title IX, Subtitle A, Section 110105 of this Act generally made it unlawful to manufacture, transfer, and possess semiautomatic assault weapons (SAWs) and to transfer and possess large capacity ammunition feeding devices (LCAFDs). The law also required importers and manufacturers to place certain markings on SAWs and LCAFDs, designating they were for export or law enforcement/government use. Significantly, the law provided that it would expire 10 years from the date of enactment. Accordingly, effective 12:01 a.m. on September 13, 2004, the provisions of the law will cease to apply. This open letter is to advise the import community of the effect of this on importations.

Importation of Semiautomatic Assault Weapons

There is no longer a Federal prohibition on the manufacture, transfer and possession of SAWs.

Nonsporting firearms are still prohibited from importation under 18 U.S.C. sections 922(l) and 925(d)(3). Because the vast majority of SAWs are nonsporting, they generally cannot be imported.

SAWs no longer have to be marked “restricted law enforcement/government use only” or “export only.” However, if an importer has an approved Form 6 import permit for SAWs with a restriction stamp on it related to the ban, the importer should comply with the restriction because the firearms most likely are nonsporting.

SAWs may be imported into a Customs Bonded Warehouse or Foreign Trade Zone because the sporting purposes test does not apply to these imports.

SAWs may be temporarily imported under the provisions of 27 CFR section 478.115(d) because firearms that are temporarily imported are not required to meet the sporting purposes test.
Importation of Large Capacity Ammunition Feeding Devices

LCAFDs are no longer prohibited from importation. However, they are still subject to the provisions of the Arms Export Control Act. Therefore an approved Form 6 import permit is still required.

LCAFDs will no longer have to be marked “restricted law enforcement/government use only” or “export only” and importers no longer have to collect documentation that demonstrates imports are for government sale. However, any existing records still must be maintained for a period of 5 years. See 27 CFR section 478.40a. Moreover, importers are still required to maintain their acquisition records permanently and disposition records for 20 years.

If an importer has an approved Form 6 import permit for LCAFDs with a restriction stamp on it related to the ban, the importer may import LCAFDs using the permit and disregard the restriction stamp. However, importers may apply for a new permit if they prefer.
Please note:

The provisions of 18 U.S.C. section 922(r) and 27 CFR 478.39 regarding assembly of nonsporting shotguns and semiautomatic rifles from imported parts still apply.

All provisions of the National Firearms Act (NFA) relating to registration and transfer of machineguns, short barreled rifles, weapons made from rifles, short barreled shotguns, weapons made from shotguns, any other weapons as defined in 26 USC section 5845(e), silencers, and destructive devices still apply.

USAS-12 and Striker 12/Streetsweeper shotguns are still classified as destructive devices under ATF Rulings 94-1 and 94-2 and must be possessed and transferred in accordance with the NFA.
We recognize that you may have ATF correspondence and publications that contain obsolete information. For example, a July 30, 2002 open letter discussed the importation of pre-September 13, 1994 large capacity magazines. This section of the open letter no longer must be complied with. Similarly, the ATF Federal Firearms Regulations Reference Guide and the ATF Guidebook: Importation & Verification of Firearms, Ammunitions & Implements of War contain some information that now is incorrect. We will update these publications as soon as possible. Moreover, we will provide up-to-date information on our website: www.atf.gov.

Maintaining open lines of communication is vital to the successful future of ATF’s partnership with the import community. The Firearms and Explosives Imports Branch is available to answer your questions about the issues addressed in this letter. You may reach us by phone at 202-927-8320 or by fax at 202-927-2697.

for Audrey Stucko,
Chief, Firearms and Explosives
Services Division

Link Posted: 9/12/2004 8:41:13 PM EDT
[#1]
THIS NEEDS TO BE TACKED!!!
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 8:57:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Poetry. Sheer poetry.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 9:09:32 PM EDT
[#3]
I can't wait to see the look on the face's of people still asking $1600 for SP1s when I whip this out!!
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 9:15:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Im going to take several copy's to the gun show with me next weekend, and when I see a crook I will drop one off with him after he tries to tell me otherwise!
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 11:21:41 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Im going to take several copy's to the gun show with me next weekend, and when I see a crook I will drop one off with him after he tries to tell me otherwise!

That's a good idea.

I'm going to wear this as a T-shirt the gunshow next weekend...
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 12:23:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Spread the news so people dont get ripped off and to out fraudulent dealers!

S.O.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 12:45:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Thank you dear Lord!!!!!

If somebody would print that on Parchment in a size suitable for framing, the thing would hang in the Living room next to my Kudu, and  my parchment reprint of the Constitution!!!

If I can get little copies, they will hang from this years Christmas tree!!!!

My business lawyer advised caution, but promised clear backing all the way to the supreme court if needed(He's a "Best customer") if We sold openly on the 14th.

Planned on doing so, simply because the retainer so far would be money well spent. ;)

This is just Icing on the 20 story, and Gold gilded cake!!!!

DIVE IN GUYS!!!!!!

Visa will be more than happy to allow that my Wife will never forgive me, for what I am about to do!!!!!!

Just a word of advice and caution gang.....
Concentrate on the most likely grandfathered components and assemblys for now.

Both Bush and that WORM Kerry are politicians.
There WILL be action against us either way after the election.

Lowers, Lowers, Lowers!!!!!!!!!
And an asston of Mags!!

This is too sweet!

The yoke is to be lifted...

Sunset party at my house on the range for any near!!!!!!!!

Link Posted: 9/13/2004 1:53:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Thank you very much guys for making this letter available to us.  My FFL wanted to make me wait until Wednesday to make sure things are "o.k."  Just to be a smart-ass, he said, "if you can show me a letter from the BATF before that then you can buy it sooner."  Ha ha....now I have a letter  Don't get me wrong, my FFL is a great guy...I realize he's just protecting his business.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 2:07:05 AM EDT
[#9]
tag
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 4:18:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Tag
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 4:34:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 4:40:30 AM EDT
[#12]
tag
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 8:18:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Why did the document on the ATF website suddenly go away?

*EDIT*
Never mind, I guess the site was getting hammered.  It's back now.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top