Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/12/2004 5:51:47 PM EDT
Never owned an AR w/ a flash suppressor, so does it really suppress all the flash ?

I understand the need for flash suppressors w/ night vision used in the military, but what's the advantage for us civilians and couch commados.

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 5:56:02 PM EDT
[#1]
With mil spec ammo and a few x scope, You will blind yourself for a few seconds after each shot.

Like turning the light on in the mornig while its dark, when you turn it back off you can't see shit.

But it really depends on you loads

MadMan

Link Posted: 9/12/2004 5:56:36 PM EDT
[#2]
I think  they are mostly used to keep the flash down from the shooters perspective, to keep the muzzle flash from blinding the shooters line of sight.  I also think they look at heck of alot better than just a crowned muzzle or a post-ban type muzzle break.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 6:10:52 PM EDT
[#3]
just go shoot any centerfire rifle at night or at dusk without a flash supressor; especially one with a scope. not to fun if you need to make a second shot.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 6:24:22 PM EDT
[#4]
You'd be amazed at the size of the fireball without a flashhider!  Even the lowly A2 does a very good job... Phantoms are better!

Scot
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 8:05:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks, I've seen the light
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 2:12:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Phantom or Vortex work great!
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 5:05:17 AM EDT
[#7]

Is the Vortex that much better than the Phantom?

Link Posted: 9/13/2004 5:27:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 5:42:55 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
You'd be amazed at the size of the fireball without a flashhider!  Even the lowly A2 does a very good job... Phantoms are better!

Scot

we did some tests with lake city ammo.
the phantom squirts a dark cherry flame the size and shape of a pencil.
a plain barrel blows a yellow white fireball about 12" in dia. and 2'-3' long.  it looks like a flash bulb going off.

the differnce is night and day.  
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top