Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/12/2004 11:57:26 AM EDT
If a pre-ban upper is sent back to the factory can a bayonet lug and flash supressor be added? If so, is it too costly and you may as well buy a new upper?
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 11:58:55 AM EDT
[#1]
yes you can, no it's far cheaper than a new upper
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 12:22:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Was the pre-ban upper modified in any way? I was just thinking that if the barrel had the threads removed, you probably wouldn't be able to use a bayonet even with a new front sight base.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 1:13:37 PM EDT
[#3]
post-ban upper.

It is as simple as removing front site post and replacing it.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 1:16:33 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
If a pre-ban upper is sent back to the factory can a bayonet lug and flash supressor be added?

So it will have two of each?

Depends on the factory.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 4:00:04 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

In theory, yes.  Sometimes in practice, it doesn't work to well.  The front sight posts almost appear to be match drilled to the barrels, and swapping them with new ones can result in sights that are canted and/or shifted to the front/rear, letting unfinished bands of barrel show through.

I'm not saying this is inevitible, but I've not had good luck doing this.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 4:31:28 PM EDT
[#6]
I spoke with Bushmaster last week about this because their catalog does not have the front sight listed and the internet site states they will not sell front sites only.  When I spoke with them, they stated they do not offer (or plan to offer) a service to replace "post-ban" front sights or to thread barrels for flash hiders.  According to them "We have determined that it would be just as inexpensive to buy a new barrel."  I have a hard time believing this statement.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 5:18:03 PM EDT
[#7]
I bought a bayonet lug adapter from DPMS. I plan to machine off the clamp part and very precisely TiG weld it right onto the front sight base. "Before and After" pics pending in another thread.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 5:34:33 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Good luck with that!  Let me know how "simple" it is.  I've tried it about a dozen times, back when you had to remove the FSB with bayo lug and install a FSB without the bayo lug.  My success rate was exactly 0%.   I never had a FSB from one barrel match up to another barrel.  YMMV, and if it does, go to the local lottery ticket seller and buy one, your luck is good.

I still don't understand the need for a bayo lug.  By far the most useless evil feature to be banned.  I wouldn't waste any energy or money trying to install one, but obviously I'm in the minority with this opinion.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 5:45:54 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I spoke with Bushmaster last week about this because their catalog does not have the front sight listed and the internet site states they will not sell front sites only.  When I spoke with them, they stated they do not offer (or plan to offer) a service to replace "post-ban" front sights or to thread barrels for flash hiders.  According to them "We have determined that it would be just as inexpensive to buy a new barrel."  I have a hard time believing this statement.

I have an EASY time believing this. As Bushmaster probably have higher profit expectations than the smaller outfits, I can see why they would not want to be bothered. Figuring the cost to do the work, including inspection, refinishing and warranty reserve, they would probably expect to charge $150-200/conversion anyway. Would you be willing to pay this much, when you could have a brand new barrel for the same price ?
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 6:00:20 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have an EASY time believing this. As Bushmaster probably have higher profit expectations than the smaller outfits, I can see why they would not want to be bothered. Figuring the cost to do the work, including inspection, refinishing and warranty reserve, they would probably expect to charge $150-200/conversion anyway. Would you be willing to pay this much, when you could have a brand new barrel for the same price ?

I believe it too.  If you're doing it right and making sure that the front sight is properly aligned, it could easily hit $150.  At that point, might as well replace the barrel.  Of course, few things piss me off more than improperly installed iron sights.  Windage adjustment is for windage, not to compensate for some botch job on the FSB installation.
Sorry for the mini-rant.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 6:13:17 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Windage adjustment is for windage, not to compensate for some botch job on the FSB installation.

And that is likely what you will end up if you try to Jerry-Rig a FSB from one barrel to another.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 7:18:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 7:24:22 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
The best hope is that someone will design an Armalite-style clamp-on FSB that retains the bayo lug.  Until then, it is not cost-effective to replace the FSB.

-Troy

Funny you should mention that.  I've been working on one of those, off and on.  Maybe I should get motivated and complete a couple of prototypes.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 7:28:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Could you not use this sight and either drill the sight yourself for the cross pins or drill the sight yourself and use set screws?  Adco sells a NM front sight base that uses 4 set screws located about where the cross pin holes are I believe, but no bayo lug.  The above has the bayo lug so I see no reason why you could not D&T it for set screws.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 7:33:35 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Could you not use this sight and either drill the sight yourself for the cross pins or drill the sight yourself and use set screws?  Adco sells a NM front sight base that uses 4 set screws located about where the cross pin holes are I believe, but no bayo lug.  The above has the bayo lug so I see no reason why you could not D&T it for set screws.

The chances of you being able to drill that FSB with holes that exactly match the slots/holes in your barrel are very slim.  You would also have to taper ream them, if your old barrel used taper pins.  Once again, unlikely that you would be able to do this and not end up with a canted FSB.  It would take a good gunsmith/machinist alot of time (time=$$$$) to get this done and I'd bet they would tell you the same thing - the results are not guaranteed.  Drilling for setscrews would be the safest bet, but setscrewed FSBs usually aren't very sturdy and can move if hit hard enough, destroying any zero your irons had.

Once again, alot of work for a lug that 99.99% of us will never likely use.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 7:39:26 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I bought a bayonet lug adapter from DPMS. I plan to machine off the clamp part and very precisely TiG weld it right onto the front sight base. "Before and After" pics pending in another thread.

That's not a bad idea at all, good luck with that, and don't forget to post pics, I want to see how the finished piece looks.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top