Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 9/12/2004 8:33:23 AM EDT
This thread is a pre-order to see how many are interested in purchasing an A1 BUIS rear sight from Justin.  After payment is collected, production will start then the finished sights will be shipped out to me, then to you.  These are limited-production, custom made sights.  If you want one let me know ASAP!      

Here's a quote from Justin:  
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quoted:
...I have had several people contact me about the A1 rear sight (the A1 BUIS). Lets start a poll here to see how many would like to buy the sight. The price will depend on how many I make, but I'm thinking the cost will be around the $95 mark. This will include everything except the rear sight assembily...  
Thanks again,

Justin
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.cncgunsmithing.com/images/a1_rear_sight.jpg

http://www.cncgunsmithing.com/images/P8210139.JPG

So, how many would like Justin to produce one of the A1 BUIS rear sights? I'd definately take one, maybe two.  Anyone else?

haveeveryone that has posted that they want one of the A1 BUIS sights to e-mail me the following:

1.  Your AR-15.com screen name
2.  How many sights you want
3.  Your real name/shipping address (where you want your sight shipped to)/contact info.

I need this info so I can confirm everyone's order, so nothing gets screwed up.  As of 10/12/2004  have e-mailed everyone on both lists to see if they are still in this group buy.  Everyone that showed interest was contacted, just so I don't leave anyone out. If you are not interested, PLEASE e-mail me so I can remove your name from the list.  

I also need this info so I have everyone's e-mail/contact/shipping info so I don't have to ask for it in the future.  As I get these e-mails, I'll highlight your screen name (in red) in the list below so know you're up-to-date.

The next step after this is done will be sending me the payments, after I confirm everything with Justin.  So start e-mailing me so we can get this done!

Here's the current lists of those that want the A1 BUIS, and those that are interested/maybes.  These lists will be updated as necessary.

Names that are highlighted in red are the ones that have e-mailed me and confirmed their order, and provided their screen name, real name, shipping address (where you want the sights sent to) and contact information.

Definite orders:

R4 fan (1)
Bradd_D (1)
KevinB (2)
Spooge5150 (1)
SuperChicken (1)
JasonC (1)
BBossman (1)
dadman (1)
ch2000 (1)
Corporal_Chaos (2)
Screech (1)
Ghost-Shooter (1)
agzant (3)
lt557 (1)
Parrandero (1)
BB (1)
pfaust664 (2)
Sw33p3R (1 or 2)
444 (1)
socom1 (2)

...and those interested:

Not_A_Llama (1 if price drops $15)
TWIRE (interested)
Resq47 (maybe 1)
CavalryJim (+1 for using hex screw instead of the oversized knobs.)
Onslaught (1 if less than $80.00)

So that makes a total of have
If you e-mail me and don't see your name updated (in red), or hear from me... PLEASE send me an IM.  Just make sure if you send an IM, send me your e-mail address as well.  I have no idea what the problem is.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 8:49:14 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm in.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 11:57:00 AM EDT
[#2]
TWO
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 12:08:56 PM EDT
[#3]
With the Larue actually being cheaper, and including a sight assembly...  I don't see how this could be a great seller.  But I may be wrong.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 12:15:50 PM EDT
[#4]
I would be interested, but the price is entirely too high, especially if it's missing the sight components.

If it comes down another $15 or so,  count me as interested.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 12:21:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Looks rugged, kinda like a fixed Troy sight. But I like my LMT better.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 12:26:56 PM EDT
[#6]
One please.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 4:14:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Here's a LaRue BUIS:

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/LaRue%20BUIS2.jpg

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/LaRue%20BUIS3.jpg

And here's a Lewis Machine and Tool (LMT):

http://www.buffertech.com/lmt_sight.jpg

http://www.buffertech.com/iraq_lmt_sight1.jpg

Function is the most important aspect of the sights, but I still like good cosmetics.  I want the sight to look as good as it works.  The LaRue is quick-detachable, which is a plus... but it looks too blocky for me.  

The LMT is an adjustable A2 sight, and I'm looking for a set-it-and-leave-it-alone A1 sight.  Plus it appears to just be the sight from a detachable carry handle.  Actually, in the last photo it appears that this photo might just be a A2 detachable carry-handle that had the front part/handle hacked off.  

I like the CNC sight better, but I wish it had the ARMS quick-detach lever/cam.  
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 4:29:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Very interested
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 4:40:54 PM EDT
[#9]
R4fan:  I think you are right....that last pic looks to be a detachable handle just chopped off.  I've heard of a few guys doing this to their handles.  But I've never liked the idea of chopping up a perfectly good part....haha.  I've never seen one of those ARMS quick detach levers.  That would be cool to have it quick detachable, but the way I look at it, it's like the A1 sight....once it's set, you never have to screw with it again.  For me it's the same way with the quick release lever....how many times will you be removing the sight?....for me, it will be almost never.  If I do, I'll just take it home and remove the sight with an allen wrench.  But if I could get my hands on a ARMS sight, I might try to figure out how it works and use the same concept with my sight.  I do like the ARMS quick release, but I'm not sure if I could use it with my sight or not.

Justin
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 4:51:25 PM EDT
[#10]
The Larue lever sytem is a better design.  It can be adjusted to any rail spec.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 4:51:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 4:56:59 PM EDT
[#12]

Bradd_D:   The Larue lever sytem is a better design. It can be adjusted to any rail spec.

My sight can also adjust to any rail, since the clamp is held in place with a cap screw.

SuperChicken:  If you visit my website... www.cncgunsmithing.com  you will see other pics of the A1 BUIS.  Those are the only pics I have at this time.  

Justin
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 5:05:18 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Bradd_D:   The Larue lever sytem is a better design. It can be adjusted to any rail spec.

My sight can also adjust to any rail, since the clamp is held in place with a cap screw.

SuperChicken:  If you visit my website... www.cncgunsmithing.com  you will see other pics of the A1 BUIS.  Those are the only pics I have at this time.  

Justin

Sorry, Justin, I was referring to the comparison between the ARMS system and the Larue system.  If you're going to check out the possibility of adding a lever to your's, check out the Larue.  Your's is fine, though, for a fixed platform.  I'm kind of a weird bird.  I prefer a fixed sight to a folding sight, but I like the ability to remove it to allow use of my ACOG.  Your design is very sharp.  I'm in for one regardless of whether or not it's QD.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 5:15:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Justin,

If you want, send one to me, I will take some pictures for you.  You know, just like the P228.  Regards
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 5:34:59 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
R4fan:  ...That would be cool to have it quick detachable, but the way I look at it, it's like the A1 sight....once it's set, you never have to screw with it again.  For me it's the same way with the quick release lever....how many times will you be removing the sight?....for me, it will be almost never.  If I do, I'll just take it home and remove the sight with an allen wrench.  But if I could get my hands on a ARMS sight, I might try to figure out how it works and use the same concept with my sight.  I do like the ARMS quick release, but I'm not sure if I could use it with my sight or not.

Justin

Justin, I will probably never remove the sight, and for all intended purposes the allen screw will be fine.  I just like to have the option of being able to remove the sight if I have to, or want to.  The nice thing about the M4 system is that with a flat-top upper and rail handguards, you can add and remove sights, scopes, and accessories at a moments notice.    

I'll probably never remove the CNC A1 detachable carry-handle from my AR-15, but I like to have the option to do so.  
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 8:59:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 12:14:56 AM EDT
[#17]
I am in.  Very interested.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 5:43:25 AM EDT
[#19]
I'm in for one, I have one of the A1 carry handles.  For all of the nay sayers who are bashing the price and usefulness, just don't buy one.  I didn't need the A1 carry handle, but it looks cool and not everyone will have one, so that's why I want one of the A1 buis.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 6:01:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 6:04:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Cavalry Arms already makes one.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 6:21:41 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Cavalry Arms already makes one.

I'm glad the rest of the firearms industry doesn't think like you.  We'd all be shooting the same gun with the same options.  Ford makes a car...why drive anything else?  Also, the Cav Arms sight sits farther forward on the rail which some will not like.  The CNC mounting system is better because it uses a clamping bar instead of just squeezing the sight together.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 6:34:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Here's a photo of the Calvary Arms sight:

http://www.cavalryarms.com/SARS-1.jpg

http://www.cavalryarms.com/SARS-2.jpg

I'm sure the sight functions fine, but in my opinion it looks ugly.  This is exactly what I meant by a "block of steel crudely turned into a rear sight" in my previous post.  The edges look so sharp on it I'd be afraid that I might cut my hand open.        

Link Posted: 9/13/2004 6:40:44 PM EDT
[#24]
I'd maybe be in for one, but probably would fall behind a few other widgets on my list...
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 6:43:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Bradd_D,

You beat me to that comment, I was thinking the same thing.  Not to insult anyone, but I would rather pay for quality instead of buying junk.  I have a friend that will go out and buy somewhat expensive guns, then get the cheapest accessories/scopes/mounts because it works (for now).  That sight probably works, but there are better alternatives for not a lot more money.    

Buying a sight like that is like buying some of those junk gunshow AR mags instead of geting the real USGI mags for a little bit more.  No thanks...
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 7:16:11 AM EDT
[#26]
BTT
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 10:09:42 AM EDT
[#27]
I like the hex screw instead of the big ass knob (as found on most carry handles).  I am definately in for one.  I really like this option, or even a lever would be cool.  I didn't buy the carry handle because I hate knobs.  I sure wish you made your carry handle with a lever type attachment or even the hex screws.  Screws or levers give it  a much cleaner slim profile look.

Link Posted: 9/15/2004 7:39:03 PM EDT
[#28]
BTT
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 9:52:04 PM EDT
[#29]
I like it. If I didn't already have an LMT, this would be right up my alley.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 10:18:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Help a dumbass out.  What's the advantage of the A1 as compared to the A2?  I understand that the A1 is set it and forget, but how is that any different than an A2 if you just set it and don't fuck with it later?
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 10:49:06 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 7:04:57 AM EDT
[#32]
Tagged for further consideration

Glenn
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 7:46:34 AM EDT
[#33]
Great idea.
Great work.
Questionable price, especially with no sight.
Don't cast/machine the recess below the windage wheel on right side and on left side below windage screw/shaft. May decrease manufacture time and cost.
Is the recesses for weight and/or appearence?
I think flat sides would look better.
I would consider one with sight and slight price reduction.
Again, great work!

Are there any available?
Count me in for one.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 4:34:14 PM EDT
[#34]
Count me in for one..I got one the A1 handles and love it...
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 6:30:29 PM EDT
[#35]
I'm possibly in for one, depending on how long it takes for this to come about.

-Cap'n
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 7:37:30 PM EDT
[#36]
BTT.  
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 7:45:49 PM EDT
[#37]
Justin..

That sure is a nice looking sight.  I like the simplicity of the A1 sight, with an A2 aperture in it  to switch between day/night or long/short range.  I am a knob hater, too.

Strictly on the cosmetic side, I would make the radius on the 'ears' of the sight match the radius of the sight adjustment dial on the side.

I think you may have THE hot setup for non-folding back up sights.

~Doug
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 8:03:46 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Here's a photo of the Calvary Arms sight:

www.cavalryarms.com/SARS-1.jpg

www.cavalryarms.com/SARS-2.jpg

I'm sure the sight functions fine, but in my opinion it looks ugly.  This is exactly what I meant by a "block of steel crudely turned into a rear sight" in my previous post.  The edges look so sharp on it I'd be afraid that I might cut my hand open.        

I got that sight. You get what you pay for. I would replace it with the CNC A1 for free.
I only paid $45 for the cav sight. Money is VERY tight. I'm satisfied. Its not as sharp as it looks. Consider it a Back up weapon.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 8:21:10 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
R4 fan (1 or 2, most likely 2)
Bradd_D (1)
KevinB (2)
Not_A_Llama (1 if price drops $15)
Spooge5150 (1)
TWIRE (1)
SuperChicken (1)
JasonC (1)
BBossman (1)
Resq47 (mabye 1)
JasonC (1)
glenn_r (still considering)
dadman (1)
ch2000 (1)
Capn_Crunch (1 depending on time)

About 16 so far including maybes.  We need a couple more for this to move ahead.

If these end up coming with an attachment lever like the ARMS or LaRue mounts/sights, I'll definately take two of these.

I'm in for at least one.  Sure would be nice to get the price down around the $78 that the carry handle version went for in the group buy.  Shouldn't there be less machining and material involved in this one?
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 11:32:50 AM EDT
[#40]
Other things I like about this idea:
The rearward position. Not placed forward on the rail.
The smoothed contour of the ears going around the top of the sight.
This sight doesn't look like a chunk of metal stuck onto the receiver. Compliments the rifles appearance.
Looking at this makes me wonder why someone hasn't tried this before.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 3:31:33 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
I like the hex screw instead of the big ass knob (as found on most carry handles).  I am definately in for one.  I really like this option...

Same here.  I just picked up a LaRue...but I would have picked this over it hands down (nothing against LaRue...I still love my Aimpoint mount from them).  Anyway, I am tenatively "in" for one, but I too would like to see the price closer to $80 if I am going to sell off my LaRue for it.

I'll keep my fingers crossed.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 11:06:06 AM EDT
[#42]
Put me down for 1. With the quality put into Justins parts I can not pass on one of these!
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 11:22:47 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 11:51:51 AM EDT
[#44]
^^Talk about hi jacking a thread.. ^^  We all know what BUIS are out there and how they function and attach.  I think this thread is about getting ideas for something new, unique, and somewhat "custom made" for ARF.com members.  
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 12:09:47 PM EDT
[#45]

If an operator wants to attach a NV device to the weapon, they will have to remove the A1. I personally don't want to be looking for an allen wrench in the dark.

I'd wager that a fair number of folks here don't need to speedily slap NV optics on their rifles under stress.  For actual operators, yes, levers are nice...but for my personal "non-duty" M4gry, I'd actually prefer a tighten & forget it BUIS.  That said, I HAVE a LaRue BUIS right now...and if these were in the same price category (e.g, $85), I'd swap it for the A1 style discussed here for my non-duty rifle.  Now...I did get recently pick up a new Comp M2 instead of an Comp ML2....so perhaps if I get this new A1 BUIS, I'll have to build another complete upper to give my LaRue a new home (in case I do get some personal NV equip. to play with).  
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 12:23:49 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 12:26:43 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 12:34:41 PM EDT
[#48]

I think you would be surprised to know how many folks are running NV and fixed BUIS and love the idea of being able to remove their BUIS without ANY tools in complete darkness. You can count me as one of these folks!  I also did not see the price on these A1's. Are they below $85? If they can get the price below say $75, I think they will have a winner for sure!

I don't dispute that...notice I said that for those who DON'T use NV equipment and want a semi-perm. non-DQ BUIS, this "A1 thingy" would be ideal...   Notice that I said that if I WERE to run some NV equipment I would keep my LaRue and use it and the NV stuff on a dedicated upper?

Link Posted: 9/19/2004 12:38:26 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 12:51:52 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

I agree that a lot of folks don't run NV. I would still rather remove a mount without ANY tools (personal pref.)...

C4

Understood.  I'm the opposite.  I only want QD if it is actually necessary for the application I have in mind for said rifle.  Meaning, If I think I *might* run NV on it, then yes, a QD lever would be required IMO...but unless I actually BUY some NV equipment (which won't likely happen for a while), my personal preference shifts towards the semi-perm A1 style as shown here...IF it is priced at the same level as the LaRue.  Ideally, I'd like a non-QD LaRue mount, but I've talked to Mr. LaRue about such a thing a few times (as well as other things) and I know such is not on the horizon.  LaRue does market its stuff to my "actual & current operator" brethren...so I understand their production standpoint.    

Since in all likelihood, this A1 BUIS will settle in the $90-100 range, I'll probably opt to not take a loss on my LaRue, keep it, and look on enviously as others have all the fun.  

Anyway...I think that for the "good of this thread" ... we should get back to discussing the CNC A1 site...and not the LaRue one.  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top