Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/11/2004 4:42:36 PM EDT
What is better Stainless or chrome lined barrels? I'm thinkin of ordering a rra ar but there are somethings I am looking at I'm used to bushmaster's and really worried about going to another company. I have noticed that the front handguards look more plastic like on the rra ar's than bushy's any other difference's
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 4:53:54 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
What is better Stainless or chrome lined barrels? I'm thinkin of ordering a rra ar but there are somethings I am looking at I'm used to bushmaster's and really worried about going to another company. I have noticed that the front handguards look more plastic like on the rra ar's than bushy's any other difference's

What do you want it for?
I'd go with the stainless only for competion, otherwise, I'd go chrome.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 4:55:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Just for military specs
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 5:04:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Stick with chrome bore, better barrel life and easier to clean  I'd only use stainless for a competition barrel.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 5:17:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah, if you want military specs, then chrome lined bore.

It is easier to clean and will probably last longer.

SS might be marginally more accurate, but most mortals probably couldn't tell.

That being said I like SS and also it comes in the 1:8 twist I'm partial to.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 5:17:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Chrome for full auto or use in harsh environments...

Otherwise (eg for normal day at the range use)...

In order of accuracy:

SS:
Chrome-Moly
Chrome-Lined

In order of durability

Chrome-Lined (not by much over CM, though)
Chrome-Moly
SS

Chrome-moly is the 'compromise' BBL, and also the least expensive... More durable than SS, more accurate than chrome-lined... Note that in terms of durability for non-competition use, we're talking upwards of 30,000 rounds for chrome-moly, a tad more for chrome-lined...

Reliability is a non-issue, I have a 100% chrome-plating free rifle that has perfect reliability, I've known people with all 3 bbl types that have had stellar or less than stellar results, evenly distributed across manufacturers...

Supposedly chrome-lined guns clean up better... Can't comment on that one, though...

Link Posted: 9/11/2004 5:18:29 PM EDT
[#6]
The Military SPR's are stainless and 18". I went with the 16" SS for my SPR. If all your looking for is a military look-a-like then go for the chrome lined ones.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 5:33:48 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Chrome for full auto or use in harsh environments...

Otherwise (eg for normal day at the range use)...

In order of accuracy:

SS:
Chrome-Moly
Chrome-Lined

In order of durability

Chrome-Lined (not by much over CM, though)
Chrome-Moly
SS

Chrome-moly is the 'compromise' BBL, and also the least expensive... More durable than SS, more accurate than chrome-lined... Note that in terms of durability for non-competition use, we're talking upwards of 30,000 rounds for chrome-moly, a tad more for chrome-lined...

I beg to differ, the differences in accuracy with modern chrome lining is very small, if not negligable.
Chrome-moly isn't the compromise, it's the industry standard. Firearms industry, not just ARs. I wouldn't consider chrome-moly more durable than SS. My preference in firearms other than AR is Stainless for it's durability and ease of cleaning.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 8:44:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Ok what about the difference in the bushy and rra thanks for the stainless and chrome reply's
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 10:16:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Chrome lined!!  Dont go Chrome moly, you will just want to switch later.  Accuracy in todays CL is a lot better than it used to be.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 3:26:45 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Ok what about the difference in the bushy and rra thanks for the stainless and chrome reply's

It mostly comes down to personal preference.
Flip a coin, you won't go wrong with either.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 4:03:05 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

RRA used 4140 steel

Bushmaster uses the tougher 4150 steel.

In the real world, you probably won't notice the difference.

What hasn't been mentioned is that a chromelined chamber will greatly help with extraction, since chrome is slippier.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 4:56:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Go chrome or Go home!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top