Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/11/2004 9:53:43 AM EDT
With the AWB about to sunset, can anyone tell me how this will affect gun law in California.  I'm currently stationed in Hawaii but will be moving back to Cali. in the next year or two.

thanks,
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 10:19:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Ca. ban is unique to the state, it's also a tougher law in that it defines an "assault weapon" with only one "evil" feature beyond that of being able to accept a high capacity detachable magazine.

Under the Ca. AW ban, an AR15 that is in a post94 configuration under the Federal laws would still be banned here in Ca.    A post 94 AR15, or post94 configured FAL, would be enough to get nailed under the Ca. AW ban.

It gets even stranger from there too.    The AR15 and AK series guns are covered under the old 89 ban such that just the receiver is considered the "assault weapon" while other guns like the FAL or Robinson M96 are covered under the 99 AW ban and if the pistol grip is removed it will not be considered an "assault weapon."

Anyhow, the Ca. bans are around to stay.    Those of us who do have registered Ca. "assault weapons" will be able to put the various features on them when the 94 AW ban sunsets, the Ca defining criteria are more stringent so that adding features to the already firearm does not change it's classification any.

Ca. is a pain in the ass for trying to bring a firearm into the state that it defines as being an assault weapon.    If you are military they allow it but they pretty much tell you outright that it can't leave the base and you have to take it with you if you leave station here in the state.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 10:24:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 10:26:14 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
With the AWB about to sunset, can anyone tell me how this will affect gun law in California.

It has no effect, Cali guys are still just as fuskered as before.

Well said, as it pretty much sums it up... just like california has all their own crazy health warnings like"This product has been proven to cause cancer in California" the AWB is more or less still in effect ifyou live in Cali. Best suggestion I've heard on here is MOVE!!! As fast and as far as you can from that state.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 10:29:51 AM EDT
[#4]
When you are moving, think about moving to a non-communist state  
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 10:31:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 11:26:34 AM EDT
[#6]
thank you for the response...Right now Las Vegas is looking really good for a place to retire for me.....
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 2:49:06 PM EDT
[#7]
California AW law makes no limit on evil features.  1 is the same as 20 for registered guns.  The Cali guys will be de-banning their rifles tomorrow just like everyone else.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 3:02:22 PM EDT
[#8]
If you have registered your rifle as an assault weapon, you can do like everyone else come monday and add as many evil features as you want. You just cannot make new assault weapons or bring new ones into the state.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 3:03:19 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
With the AWB about to sunset, can anyone tell me how this will affect gun law in California.  I'm currently stationed in Hawaii but will be moving back to Cali. in the next year or two.

thanks,

If you do not currently own any "assault weapons" registered by the state of California, you will not be able to bring any back from Hawaii. And I'm pretty sure that registered "assault weapons" in California are non-transferable as well.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 12:39:51 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

thanks,

If you do not currently own any "assault weapons" registered by the state of California, you will not be able to bring any back from Hawaii. And I'm pretty sure that registered "assault weapons" in California are non-transferable as well.

Correct, non-transferable= no selling. giving, inheriting, ect...
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 1:02:49 PM EDT
[#11]
If you are in the military and currently own what was a pre-ban weapon you can legally bring it into the state of Ca.  This is a little known and little used fact. All you have to do is call the DOJ, fill out the paper work they send you, mail them a check, and they send you some paper work that you have to keep with the gun at all times. I brought my two and shoot them at least twice a month at public ranges and have never had anyone say anything other than "cool." Yes even the cops. If you or anyone else in the military is interested let me know and I will give you the number and name of the person you need to talk to at the DOJ.
Chris
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 1:05:45 PM EDT
[#12]
There are a few provisions that allow for people moving into California (and I believe this includes servicemen being stationed here) to bring in banned firearms. You have to turn first your firearm over to a Cal FFL and then undergo a DOJ backround check. Once cleared, the FFL will turn your gun back over to you (I am not sure, but you might get charged a fee for this by the FFL). It is a pain in the ass, but that is the procedure. If you don't pass the background, you will lose your gun.

Take a look at this post and realted links for more info:

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=200927
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 5:26:30 PM EDT
[#13]
I did not have to give mine to anyone while I waited on the paper work and it was not that hard. Got fingered printed, filled out the paper work and mailed them a check. That was it.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top