Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/10/2004 3:36:20 PM EDT
Greetings everyone,
 I just recently got an RRA upper...and some of the finish on the front sight post is gone.  I can see bright shiny metal beneath.  I did a search and found a few things about the AR finishes in general, but I am still concerned about rust developing in this bare spot.

1).  Is the metal itself treated, and then the black finish applied later ( like Glock with their tenifer)?  How does the black finish itself contribute to corrosion protection?

2).   With reasonable care and cleaning, should I worry about this?

3.) Any recommendations for touch-up to this area that will match the rest of the dark-coal look of the RRA upper?

I am not looking to make a museum piece out of my AR, but I do want it protected from the elements.

BTW, this is my first post...great site!
IBCGUY
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 4:11:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Try a Birchwood Casey touch up pen, which you can find at most gunshops, or try a bottle of testors flat black enamel, using a qtip to touch it up.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 4:32:45 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Greetings everyone,
 I just recently got an RRA upper...and some of the finish on the front sight post is gone.  I can see bright shiny metal beneath.  I did a search and found a few things about the AR finishes in general, but I am still concerned about rust developing in this bare spot.

1).  Is the metal itself treated, and then the black finish applied later ( like Glock with their tenifer)?  How does the black finish itself contribute to corrosion protection?

2).   With reasonable care and cleaning, should I worry about this?

3.) Any recommendations for touch-up to this area that will match the rest of the dark-coal look of the RRA upper?

I am not looking to make a museum piece out of my AR, but I do want it protected from the elements.

BTW, this is my first post...great site!
IBCGUY

The black on the steel components(Front Sight Tower) are Parkerized per all steel U.S. Military small arms.
The Aluminum parts are hard coat anodized.

I've worn out a lot of spots to bare aluminum and steel and soaked and submerged my ARs
countless times and have never had one of the shiny spots rust.

Don't worry about it. Just dry the weapon off with a rag after exposing it to the elements,
and wipe down the entire weapon in a light coat of CLP after cleanings.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 4:52:06 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Greetings everyone,
 I just recently got an RRA upper...and some of the finish on the front sight post is gone.

Don't lose sleep over this one, if it does rust, a new sight post is about what? 3 bux?  If you bought it new, I'm sure if you complain (nicely) to RRA, they'll comp you a new one.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 5:14:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the replies guys,

The upper was in fact bought new.  If wear of the black finish is normal, I don't see a point in exchanging the front sight tower for another that will eventually wear anyways.  What I am concerned about though is if this "bright shiny spot" (on a new upper) is an indication of improper coating / treatment that might cause problems down the road.

We used vietnam-eraA1's for FTX's in college, which were beat to hell, and I can't really remember bits of the finish flaking off those rifles.  I guess that is what has me spooked, this being a new rifle and all.

While I am on my paranoid trip, is common for these rifles to be test fired?  Mine was shipped with a dirty bore, but I suspect that a test firing at the factory is common.

Thanks again guys (and gals)
IBCGUY
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 6:27:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Which is it, the post as you indicated in your first inquiry, or the tower?  I wouldn't sweat it either way.  I recently purchased a RRA upper with a bit of missing finish on the sight tower, and misc. minor marks here there and everywhere.  It's common.  Yes they are generally test fired, unless assembled by a third party, then who knows?  I've never bought a "clean" new firearm in my life.  I guess I'd be a little concerned if I did!
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 6:33:51 PM EDT
[#6]
You got me, I should of made it clear that I was talking about the sight tower, as opposed to the sight post itself.  Glad to hear that I'm not the only one who has experienced this issue.  

The cosmetics of the blemish don't bother me thatmuch...as long as the sight tower doesn't start to rust I will be ok with it.  Looks like a simple bluing pen may be an easy solution if I decide I need to cover it up.

IBCGUY
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top