Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/10/2004 9:09:28 AM EDT
I see alot of poeple selling LEO M-4's on the EE for over $1000. Why not just wait until the ban expires  and get one that is not LEO?
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 9:13:26 AM EDT
[#1]
I think a lot of us are doing it because 1)  it may not be long before another ban takes its place...weeks, months? and 2) we want a lower that is stamped "law enforcement carbine" rather than what we expect will be "match target M4"..."match target" takes all of the thrill out of it for me.

I would be pleasantly surprised if colt releases no-ban lowers without the words "match target".
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 9:27:01 AM EDT
[#2]
But what happens if they re-sign the ban and now you have a rifle that is for LEO?
Does the LEO M-4 have all the same features that the regular M-4 has, as far as colt and bushmaster?
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 9:34:36 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm not an expert by any means, but it appears that a new ban down the road would create a whole new class of "pre-bans."  The new class would be "pre-ban LE", which would then require new wording or date stamps on "post-ban LE" models going forward.

LE only means that it is a gun, etc.  in a "no-ban" or "pre-ban" configuration manufactured during a ban.  If there is no ban or one is allowed to expire, the purpose of the LE designation is meaningless.  
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 9:46:41 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
But what happens if they re-sign the ban and now you have a rifle that is for LEO?
Does the LEO M-4 have all the same features that the regular M-4 has, as far as colt and bushmaster?

I know we are all playing arm chair lawyers and I also know than my view is in the minority, however-

IF your scenario plays out, I am 80% sure that all "LEO Restricted" magazines and firearmss will be banned and that the grandfather clause will revert back to September 1994. Congress has the AUTHORITY to do that if they so choose. Of course they can make a new date of 2005 but if Congress has the votes to pass a ban, I would expect a date of 1994.

Please note that Congress has the authority to issue a ban and set a GRANDFATHER DATE in the PAST. What Congress does not have the authority to do is make something ILLEGAL in the PAST. For example Congress can't pass a law on Nov. 1, 2004 banning possession of "LEO Restricted" magazines and firearms effective Sept 14, 2004. However, they can pass a law on Nov 1, 2004 making it illegal on or after December 1, 2004 to possess any hi-cap magazines or "LEO Restricted" firearms manufactured after September 13, 1994. They have that right and they do not have to pay you to dispose of any you own.

It will be all or nothing. Thus September 13 will be a key date but the battle isn't over.

Philip
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top