Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/9/2004 6:15:16 PM EDT
I recently purchased a preban  from another board member and upon receiving it and taking it to the range I noticed there were some problems with it.  The hammer spring was in backwards and other such small inconsistencies showing the lower parts kit was installed by an amatuer!  The bolt catch was also extremely lose as if the spring and plunger were left out.  So I ordered the parts and then removed the bolt catch to find that the plunger is stuck in the hole with out the spring.  Now I have to find a way to remove it and so far everything I tried will not get it out. Tomarrow I will probably try to use a drill press and just drill it out if I can't find any other way to remove it.

any thoughts or sugestions will be apreciated!!!
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 6:20:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Not sure if it will work, but try either a strong magnet, or put a little super glue on the end of a toothpick or piece of wire, let it dry over night, and pull it out while stuck to the toothpick.

No clue if it will work, but worth a try...
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 6:20:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Try a very strong magnet. One of the so-called "super magnets" should do the trick.

Lonny
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 6:21:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Get some damn good penetrating/lubricating oil.  I like "Corrosion-X".

Strip the plastic parts off the lower.  Heat it to 250-300 degrees F for about 20 minutes.  Get a soft faced hammer, like nylon.  Start tapping over the hole, it should pop out.  You can try pushing it in to get a running start past the burr holding the plunger.

It is possible there is no spring behind the plunger.....
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 6:24:24 PM EDT
[#4]
The "super magnet" mentioned is a "rare earth magnet"  They are strong, but the field strength drops very fast if there is any gap between the steel part and the mag.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 7:30:26 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't think there is a spring behind the plunger, ARWRENCH I tried heating it for about a minute or so and tapping the other side with a nylon hammer and also tried the penetrating oil...
any more thoughts?

Link Posted: 9/9/2004 7:40:15 PM EDT
[#6]
The aluminum lower will act like a giant heat sink.  I have heated them in an oven before.  You want the thing hot all over.  Don't go over 300 degrees. The aluminum has a higher co-efficient of heat expansion than does steel.

If this doesn't work, I would consider a drill press and a very small diamond bit to put a hole into the plunger big enough to grab with a small twist bit.   If the plunger starts to move while drilling, keep flushing with thin oil to keep the chips cleaned out.  You don't need more debris to jam the detent.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 7:52:01 PM EDT
[#7]
If you have access to an air compressor try using quick bursts with a blow gun/air gun. Use as much air pressure as you can.

Oh & don't shoot your eye out.

The only hope you have is to accept the fact that you are already dead. And the sooner you accept that, the sooner you will be able to function as a soldier is supposed to function, without mercy, without compassion, without remorse.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 8:36:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Small flat tip screw driver on portion potruding and tap it out unless its all the way in
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 8:51:48 PM EDT
[#9]
I've had the occasion to see this ona few AR's that friends have brought to me to fix.  One way I've found that works is to get a can of compressed air (I used to use Freon, but it's hard to come by now), hold it upside down and direct the cold air on the bolt catch plunger (not the surrounding metal) for a few seconds.  It should be enough to slightly contract the metal and you should be able to gently work it out as soon as the metal contracts.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 12:42:11 AM EDT
[#10]
One person posted he got one out using two pointed dental type picks.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 12:57:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 4:13:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Arwrench, your procedure for heating it in the oven then tapping it with a nylon hammer worked!!!
THANK YOU

I left it in for 20 min at 250 then tooki it out and sprayed more penetrating oil on it and then tapped it with the hammer and out it came, it turned out that the spring was behind it, however it had teken set and was no longer putting pressure on the plunger, after the plunger was out I used compress air to remove the spring.

thanks to all that responded
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 4:17:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Another AR ready for duty!
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 4:22:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Also, make sure you clean the hole well, chase any burrs or chips out before installing the new detent.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top