Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/9/2004 5:07:17 PM EDT
Which is the "best".  How much do they usually run, etc...

Pics and links would be awesome.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 5:10:42 PM EDT
[#1]
AAC and Gemtech make the best ones in my opinion.  I like the Gemtech M4QD.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 5:29:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Flash or Sound?  If it's sound, then you should also cross-post in the M16 section.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 5:39:42 PM EDT
[#3]
depends, for what cal.?

generally speaking and owning several, I think (in my opinion) that AWC, Gemtech and SWR are the best. AWC though, has the best EVARRRRR customer support!!
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 5:40:46 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I like the Gemtech M4QD.

Me too.  I'm really thinking of picking one up.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 6:44:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Oops, i would like to learn about sound suppressors.  It will be for an AR15.  How durible are suppressors?  I shoot mainly Q3131A.  How many rounds before suppressors go bad?
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 7:03:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Can you own a suppressor in Washington State?

Bob
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 7:15:28 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Bob

I believe the answer to that is yes. But it appears to be a gross misdemeanor to use one with a firearm, or to be more exact:

RCW 9.41.250
Dangerous weapons -- Penalty.
Every person who:
    (1) Manufactures, sells, or disposes of or possesses any instrument or weapon of the kind usually known as slung shot, sand club, or metal knuckles, or spring blade knife, or any knife the blade of which is automatically released by a spring mechanism or other mechanical device, or any knife having a blade which opens, or falls, or is ejected into position by the force of gravity, or by an outward, downward, or centrifugal thrust or movement;
    (2) Furtively carries with intent to conceal any dagger, dirk, pistol, or other dangerous weapon; or
    (3) Uses any contrivance or device for suppressing the noise of any firearm,
is guilty of a gross misdemeanor punishable under chapter 9A.20 RCW.

Go figure.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 7:16:33 PM EDT
[#8]
WOW! That is silly.
Bob
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 7:40:59 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bob

I believe the answer to that is yes. But it appears to be a gross misdemeanor to use one with a firearm, or to be more exact:

RCW 9.41.250
Dangerous weapons -- Penalty.
Every person who:
    (1) Manufactures, sells, or disposes of or possesses any instrument or weapon of the kind usually known as slung shot, sand club, or metal knuckles, or spring blade knife, or any knife the blade of which is automatically released by a spring mechanism or other mechanical device, or any knife having a blade which opens, or falls, or is ejected into position by the force of gravity, or by an outward, downward, or centrifugal thrust or movement;
    (2) Furtively carries with intent to conceal any dagger, dirk, pistol, or other dangerous weapon; or
    (3) Uses any contrivance or device for suppressing the noise of any firearm,
is guilty of a gross misdemeanor punishable under chapter 9A.20 RCW.

Go figure.

Hmmm, interesting
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 11:06:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 11:17:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Will a screw on suppressor ad acuracy to an M-4, since it adds lenth?
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 11:33:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Own it but not use it, another silly law for WA.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 12:36:17 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
WA state suppressor owners can only use their suppressors out of state (which requires you to file NFA paperwork in advance to transport your suppressor over state lines).  You can't legally use the suppressor in the state.

-Troy

I must say, thats a bunch of bs. *sigh*  Oh well, bright side is, I get to save money i guess.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 4:49:27 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
WA state suppressor owners can only use their suppressors out of state (which requires you to file NFA paperwork in advance to transport your suppressor over state lines).  You can't legally use the suppressor in the state.

-Troy

I must say, thats a bunch of bs. *sigh*  Oh well, bright side is, I get to save money i guess.

No paperwork for suppressors.

Bob
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 6:01:26 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

-Troy

Silencers do not need Federal permission to cross state lines with the owner AFAIK.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 6:12:35 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 6:47:35 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

No.  Denny from Denny's Guns was talking about this just a few days ago.  The turbulence in the suppressor ever so slightly degrades accuracy.  A well mounted suppressor (i.e. have your bi-locks installed by Gem-Tech) will degrade accuracy less so than a poorly mounted counterpart.  If the suppressor is not concentric with the bore you risk baffles strikes, which will poop on accuracy and damage a suppressor.  

Personally, I am looking at buying a Gem-Tech HALO, a TPR-S, and an M4-02.  I'll probably be making my order around the end of the year or at the beginning of '05.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 7:24:22 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Every can I have ever owned has tightened groups. The only screw-on can I have for 5.56 is Gemtech M4-02, and yes, the groups tighten with this can. I am not sure it has anything to do with length though, Length adds FPS.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 7:42:21 AM EDT
[#19]
I have the Advanced Armament "M4-2000" for my CAR-15. It uses a quick-mount flash hider, not a screw-on mount.

In an article I read several months ago (Guns & Weapons for Law Enforcement, or Special Weapons for Military & Police, don't recall which), it tied with the ArmsTech suppressor for top place in sound reduction.

No personal experience with any other than AAC, but GemTech, ArmsTech, and several others received very good reviews.

Regarding longevity, the AAC unit I have carries a lifetime warranty, and is rated for even full-auto; magazine-fed, not belt-fed full-auto.

Base price is $625.00. Extra $50 for black finish, plus $200 transfer tax, plus sales tax, shipping, etc; ended up around $920-$940 all told.

www.advanced-armament.com
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top