Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/9/2004 1:34:48 PM EDT
My buddy bought an SP1 and his barrel is stamped SAK CHROME BORE.  Is this the original upper?

Another thing, the carrier is notched for a forward assist, Is it original? It is stamped witha C and the CMP on the bolt.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 1:49:57 PM EDT
[#1]
If it's an SP1 Colt, the upper, bolt and carrier are probaably original , since nobody but Colt ever made that big hole front screw type AR.  The barrel is drfinitely NOT original. Colt barrels of that era are marked  C MP and either nothing after the MP (very early), C after the MP (chrome chamber), B after the MP (Early chrome bore)m or "chrome bore" (late fully chrome bore).

Somebody put a GI surplus replacement barrel  on that piece at some point.  I'm assuming that the marking under the rear sight says "C" and one or two other letters on it.

Re the carrier, yes, once the forward assist was adopted for military use, Colt just went ahead and used the same pieces, with the notches, to build the AR15 carriers.  There should be a "C" on the left side of the carrier.  The bolt head markings are also Colt.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 4:52:42 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
My buddy bought an SP1 and his barrel is stamped SAK CHROME BORE.  Is this the original upper?

Another thing, the carrier is notched for a forward assist, Is it original? It is stamped witha C and the CMP on the bolt.

SAL=Saco Lowell Defense. GI Contractor. In the M14 world, the SAK barrel is highly coveted.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 4:53:18 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

SAL=Saco Lowell Defense. GI Contractor. In the M14 world, the SAK barrel is highly coveted.

SAK....hit the wrong key
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 7:02:33 AM EDT
[#4]
patriot73, same thing I was thinking. I have the M14/M1A bug and the SAK is right up there with TRW. If I had a chrome SAK on an AR I'd be fine with it provided it shoots well. Does it?

Bill
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 10:32:56 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
patriot73, same thing I was thinking. I have the M14/M1A bug and the SAK is right up there with TRW. If I had a chrome SAK on an AR I'd be fine with it provided it shoots well. Does it?

Bill

It shoots great.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top