Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/9/2004 7:44:34 AM EDT
Just wanted to show you all how my AR-15 Detailing job came out.  I really like it!!!!!  Just wanted to share the pic's with you all!

PS: this posting pics is new to me so I apoligize if I don't get the pictures to show.  

ETA: Its the white & red letters and numbers and markings I did on my rifle.

Link Posted: 9/9/2004 7:56:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Looks great
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 7:57:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Somebody hass too much time on their hands.

Great job!
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 8:01:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Very nice.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 8:07:38 AM EDT
[#4]
I can't believe there isn't a red crayon in my house.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 8:12:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Wow, really nice. How'd you do it, and what did you use?
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 8:16:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Very nice,,,,, How did you do it?
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 8:28:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks guys!  It was alittle more time consuming then what I thought it was going to be.  I still have a few areas to touch up.  But I really like how it turned out.

I used a White China Marker and a Red China Marker for the color.  I also used 91% Isopropyl Alcohol because I couldn't find 99%.  

I took the rear Elevation and Windage assembly apart as per the TM9-1005-319-10 to do the small lines and numbers and the knobs.  I tried not to rush and do a good job.   I also used the TM9-1005-319-10 to assemble it after detailing.

I followed the info from this link:

White Lettering on Firearms

I found the China Markers at Staples.  Home Depot did not have them nor did Wal-Mart.

Link Posted: 9/9/2004 8:35:29 AM EDT
[#8]
I don't care what anyone else says about you - I like it a lot.  Sure wish you lived closer.

Link Posted: 9/9/2004 8:40:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Nice pics and thanks for the links. Good job, i think i am going to do one of my next builds.

Couldn't you also put tape on the areas above the letters so not to have alot of excess on the actual metal? just an idea.

Link Posted: 9/9/2004 10:54:20 AM EDT
[#10]

Posted by FALbert: Somebody hass too much time on their hands.

I have seen it done on other rifles and thought it might look good on mine.  It took alittle bit more time then I thought....but total time from start to finish was probably 2 hours.  

That don't seem like too much time to me!!!!
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 11:28:40 AM EDT
[#11]
rely like the carry handle work
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 11:39:25 AM EDT
[#12]
That is a out standing job EXCELLENT!!!!
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 12:35:55 PM EDT
[#13]

Posted by SkiandShoot:  Couldn't you also put tape on the areas above the letters so not to have alot of excess on the actual metal? just an idea.

Thats a very good idea.  I hadn't thought of that.  But once you start to clean the surface with Isopropyl Alcohol it tends to run alot for the first couple of wipes with a cotton cloth.  

I will give that a try next time!
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 1:05:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Damn, that looks good, I may have to give it a try.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 1:20:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Looks great. It reminds me of guns made by HK. You know, the white and red lettering?
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 2:03:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Looks great!
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 3:31:24 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Looks great. It reminds me of guns made by HK. You know, the white and red lettering?

That's what I was thinking.   Now all you need are little pics of red bullets!
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 3:46:11 PM EDT
[#18]
I used crayon on mine and it looks pretty much the same as yours.  But I do have to admit that your will last much longer than my little safety and fire coloring will.

Nice job.  
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 3:51:38 PM EDT
[#19]
FWIW - Hoppe's brake cleaner will take off the remaining residue.  
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 4:54:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Wow that makes a stag look half way decent .Good job.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 4:56:01 PM EDT
[#21]
I like it. I think it looks great, definately gonna give that a try.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 3:06:38 PM EDT
[#22]

After reading Navy4lifes stuff and seeing the pics, i went out on the mission to do one of mine.

I went to "Hobby Lobby" and they had the grease pencils. Also a "Michaels" or similiar craft store will carry them.less than $1 a piece.

I found out a few things.

1)Use masking tape to cover other areas. create a block around the letters.

2)after you mark the letters, take a piece of tape and stick it to the letters. it will pull of the 'clumps' and make it easier to clean up.

3) use your finger nail to get rid of the extra.

4) the "HAZE" around the letters, get some clp put on the corner of a rag and go around the letters to blacken and cleanup any rub marks.

just some of my tips.

any others?

Link Posted: 9/11/2004 8:59:05 AM EDT
[#23]
Nice work! It really does remind me of an HK - if you like that kind of thing.

An alternate method -

Use ladies fingernail polish. Available in a multitude of colors and thickness. Plus it's the strongest paint known to mankind for the money. If it'll last on those bitches fingernails for a week, it'll probably last on your AR for a lifetime. Use acetone as a remover.

But seriously, I use it for sight markings on my competition Service Rifle. It's stood up for several competition seasons with no maintenance needed through lots of meets and many cleanings, and won't come off until I want to take it off!
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 10:06:13 AM EDT
[#24]
I'm gonna run down and pickup some China Markers here in a few minutes and give it a try.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 11:13:40 AM EDT
[#25]
Yet another idea from the Maryland AR15 Shooters website:

groups.msn.com/TheMarylandAR15ShootersSite/inlayyoursightmarkings.msnw

enjoy!
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 11:19:14 AM EDT
[#26]
Looks great
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 1:10:33 PM EDT
[#27]
I just got back from OfficeMax and Staples here in Phoenix and neither one apparently carries WHITE china markers, yet both have them on their websites.

Edited to add that I found it at an art supply store here in Central Phoenix called AZ Art Supply if anybody else is interested here in Phoenix.

Further edited to add the results. I used the bottom an exacto knife to grind in clumps of the china marker into the lettering on some letters because they just were not taking the grease off the china marker itself very well. Removing the excess grease from the clumps that were grinded in were a pain but it paid off. Don't use an exacto knife like I did though. Try and find something plastic instead. As you can see even though the bottom of the knife is rounded and there was a thick layer of grease, it did go through and leave some marks on my receiver! Oops! I don't really care about scratches though. I don't own the gun for looks, but I do think that this really does make it look very nice:

And yes, I do have a black Bushmaster and not purple.

Link Posted: 9/11/2004 6:11:54 PM EDT
[#28]
That's sweet. I was thinking of doing this to mine.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 6:17:48 AM EDT
[#29]

Very nice Alien.

Btw, did you win against predator or not?

Link Posted: 9/12/2004 6:52:50 AM EDT
[#30]
Awesome job!  I do not have the patience to undertake such an endevor.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 3:54:49 PM EDT
[#31]
Thanks guys for the kind words!!!!  I used hoppes #9 and it cleaned up the overrun areas very nicely.

To get the china markers to fill the letters in I did little swirls or circles over what I was trying to fill in.  I made sure to reverse the rotation of the swirl/circle on every pass...that seemed to really fill in the harder letters or areas.  Oh, and moderate pressure was applied while doing the swirls.

***Alien:  Nice Job on your bushy!
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 4:40:11 PM EDT
[#32]
Thanks guys. I really like it a lot. CLP did not discolor the lettering after I wiped the upper and lower receivers down with it, so I wouldn't worry about using that.

And I don't claim to be of any sort of relation to the gimpified aliens in Alien Vs Predator. I'm more of the Alien/Aliens kind.  
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 4:54:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Sure is pur-dy.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 5:23:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Yeah, this stuff looks hot.

I remember seein a pic of a Mega lower someone did this too. I think they did the logo in gold? Looked pretty cool too.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 6:00:43 PM EDT
[#35]
When I used my crayons I just used CLP to wipe the smudges off.  I don't know how permanent my little job is but it looks very nice.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 6:21:02 PM EDT
[#36]
Seeing this post last night gave me an idea on how to improve it. Instead of using crayon or grease pencils, I went down to my local Wal-Mart and bought some modeling paint and a really fine brush. I painted in the FIRE and SAFE on my receiver and let it dry overnight. When I checked on it this morning, the paint seemed to have bonded great to the finish on my receiver. The whole project cost me $5. A buck a piece for the paint and $3 for the brush. Best of all, I think it's a bit easier and more permanent than crayon or china markers.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 8:34:33 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Seeing this post last night gave me an idea on how to improve it. Instead of using crayon or grease pencils, I went down to my local Wal-Mart and bought some modeling paint and a really fine brush. I painted in the FIRE and SAFE on my receiver and let it dry overnight. When I checked on it this morning, the paint seemed to have bonded great to the finish on my receiver. The whole project cost me $5. A buck a piece for the paint and $3 for the brush. Best of all, I think it's a bit easier and more permanent than crayon or china markers.

Caneau,
Thanks for your tip. I paid a visit to Wally World as well and found the model paint. It turned out pretty good given my crude motor skills. Here is a pic from my web page:

www.pnguyen678.com/WebPage_Tactical.htm

Thanks again!
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 12:31:39 AM EDT
[#38]
Nice photo pnugyen678.   I don't think I can paint with a fine brush, I'd probably try one broad stroke covering all the letters, then maybe wiping over the paint with a damp cloth.   Hopefully the excess paint around the letters wouldn't get imbedded in the surface pores.

Quoted:And yes, I do have a black Bushmaster and not purple.

But your castle nut is installed backwards...
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 12:51:52 AM EDT
[#39]
Excellent job!!  I'm going to try that on my Colt Horsey.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top