Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/9/2004 6:41:28 AM EDT
I have read on this site that NY state (and others) have their own AWB at the state level.  When the federal ban expires the state one will still be in place.  Is there any reference somewhere to state laws that someone knows of to confirm this?  As a NY resident, I am kinda bummed.

d.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 7:01:31 AM EDT
[#1]
you're screwed unless you are LEO....
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 7:12:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Overview of all NYS laws is at:
http://www.packing.org/state/index.jsp/new+york

Specific law that AWB is a part of is at:
http://assembly.state.ny.us/leg/?cl=82&a=68

Link Posted: 9/9/2004 7:21:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 7:22:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Warddc:

I'm a NY resident as well.  Shortly after Columbine, Pataki jumped on the anti-gun bandwagon, and instituted a state AWB.  Unlike the federal one, this ban does not have a sunset provision.

There is additional gray area in this ban as well.  It reads that pre-ban weapons "possessed" prior to the State AWB are grandfathered.  What "possessed" means is subject to some interpretation.  What consititutes "possession"?  Possession by whom?  If you possessed it prior to the ban, and sell it to me, does the rifle still  meet the criteria as a pre-ban?

As is usually the case, NY enacted another very poorly written law without much real merit.  It's simply another attempt by Albany to be politically correct.

The long and short of it is this: Our ban is permanent.  I'm simply looking for a pre-ban I can buy out of state after 9/14.  Beyond that, Pataki can stuff it.

Please remember that even though Pataki is republican, he consistently acts 100% anti gun...  Vote accordingly.  

Frozenny
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 7:53:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Pataki can not be trusted to protect gun owners, even though he took our vote twice and ran.  Last election I voted Libertarian for Governor as a protest vote.

The law was not passed shortly after Columbine, but only a few years ago along with the "ballistic finger" printing for new handguns and the "gun show loop hole."

Pataki and that other worm Bruno felt the downstate Republicans were vulnerable on the gun issue during an election year  with the soccer moms and decided to out gun control their opponents.  The law could have been worse, still he got something thru that Mario Cuomo and the Dems couldn't.

All politicians suck.  The worst ones are the guys that say they are your friend but then stab you in the back.  And least the NY Democrats tell us up front they are out to get us.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top