Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/8/2004 9:03:34 PM EDT
Selling my Mitsu gt 3000 vr4 to a friend in the military stationed in alaska .
He just sweetened the deal by throwing in a military upper he got from a friend returning from iraq, says it has the rail type hand guards ,im hoping its an m-4 type upper! But here is the problem,,, will it be legal for me to have this upper mated on my pre ban lower?

Link Posted: 9/8/2004 9:05:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Get a long flash suppressor permanently mounted to it to bring the barrel to 16+ inches and you are good to go.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 9:15:22 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Get a long flash suppressor permanently mounted to it to bring the barrel to 16+ inches and you are good to go.

Why should / would i do that????? Are there stock barrels to short to be legal???

Link Posted: 9/8/2004 9:18:18 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why should / would i do that?????

Unless you pay the Treasury Dept. a $200.00 tax to have a short barreled rifle, the shortest barrel you can have is 16 inches. Military M4 barrels are 14.5 inches long.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 9:23:09 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why should / would i do that?????

Unless you pay the Treasury Dept. a $200.00 tax to have a short barreled rifle, the shortest barrel you can have is 16 inches. Military M4 barrels are 14.5 inches long.

THANKS for the heads up!
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 9:24:31 PM EDT
[#5]
You are familiar with the concept of "receiving stolen property" I hope?
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 9:25:48 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Its, umm, a special kind of surplus
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 9:27:32 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Nope never heard of that ,care to expand!
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 9:30:10 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nope never heard of that ,care to expand!

The military does not sell its uppers. Not new and not surplus.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 9:31:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Im sure OSI will be your ass soon enough and your "buddies" lol....
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 11:55:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Is this guy's name "Jonsey" by any chance? And is he "giveing" you an M16 or does he figure he can just give out the uppers now... that silly Jonsey!
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 1:18:04 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Selling my Mitsu gt 3000 vr4 to a friend in the military stationed in alaska .
He just sweetened the deal by throwing in a military upper he got from a friend returning from iraq, says it has the rail type hand guards ,im hoping its an m-4 type upper! But here is the problem,,, will it be legal for me to have this upper mated on my pre ban lower?

If your "friend" isn't stealing from the military then he's stealing from civ. contractors (unless the Peace Coalition of Muslim Believers in Iraq are using railed handguard M16/AR15 uppers) Even if the contractor was KIA (God forbid), the gun would still be the property of the agency they worked for or the family of the contractor....kinda morally fucked up to be OK with accepting a upper in this manner unless it was correctly/official released for your friend to take it.

Hey, I'm thinking about buying these uppers "that fell off a truck in a dark alley"...what do you guys think?!? Be smarter than the gun.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 8:18:03 AM EDT
[#12]
IF This upper turns out to be legit,,, it suposedly came from iraq,,, what kind of value highand low should i assign to it as part of the deal?????
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 8:21:43 AM EDT
[#13]

If your "friend" isn't stealing from the military then he's stealing from civ. contractors (unless the Peace Coalition of Muslim Believers in Iraq are using railed handguard M16/AR15 uppers) Even if the contractor was KIA (God forbid), the gun would still be the property of the agency they worked for or the family of the contractor....kinda morally fucked up to be OK with accepting a upper in this manner unless it was correctly/official released for your friend to take it.

What he said....that sounds like some seriously shady shit
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 8:26:52 AM EDT
[#14]
for the love of god!!!!  quit spamming the board with your stupid ass question. we're all so envious that youre recieving stolen government property and talking about it on the internet...now STFU
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 8:33:59 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
for the love of god!!!!  quit spamming the board with your stupid ass question. we're all so envious that youre recieving stolen government property and talking about it on the internet...now STFU

Link Posted: 9/9/2004 8:36:00 AM EDT
[#16]
all jokes aside, you should refer your question to Elmendorf AFB's Office of Special Investigations
Here's a number to base information to get their contact info, 907-552-1110. They will be more than happy to assist you and your friend in the matter
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 8:45:56 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
all jokes aside, you should refer your question to Elmendorf AFB's Office of Special Investigations
Here's a number to base information to get their contact info, 907-552-1110. They will be more than happy to assist you and your friend in the matter

02Overlander: I called they said it was OK thanks for the #
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 8:57:16 AM EDT
[#18]
Just be sure to file off the serial number...oh wait, uppers don't have SN's.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 9:10:07 AM EDT
[#19]
Does this sound like a setup? I personally wouldn't do it.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 1:35:41 PM EDT
[#20]
This is like screwing a known burner and hoping not to get the clap, dude.

My advice...wrap it twice:

1.  Don't buy the guy's upper
2.  Spend the cash on a bad-ass MSTN M4 upper that is better than any gov't rig anyways
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 2:16:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Why even ask such a dumb question. He's got to pulling our chains.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 2:53:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Oh geez!

Hey guys, my buddy from Alaska has an extra army tank that he is willing to trade me for my Hi-Point carbine. Should I do that?????

What about my other friend who has this surplus bazooka, do you think we could shoot that at the local range??????

Link Posted: 9/9/2004 2:57:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Well I'll just throw this in for whatever it's worth.

IF the upper is off of some units weapon NOBODY has the authority to sell it.  When the unit the upper was STOLEN from DEMOB's its weapons will be processed through DOL (Directorate Of Logistics) weapons section and if that weapon has anything other than a military issue upper it WILL be noticed.  They're going to do a 3-shop/depot level inspection on every serial number on the Sensetive Items List and if one (Original upper) comes up missing there's gonna be ALL sorts of "Fun" for the people involved (LEAST of all the poor SOB who's signed for the weapon and his unit armorer).

In situations like that people start back-tracking and trying to figure out where the THEFT occurred.  Your buddy's buddy might find himself having to talk VERY fast (Naming names) to avoid having to spend some "Quality time" in Kansas OR (If he's covered his tracks well enough and Buddy-Fucked someone else) he'll leave some other poor kid (Who, BTW, just spent a tour in IRAQ serving his country) holding the bag.

Lastly, I don't know about civvie KAS rails but those in the military ARE seriel numbered and carried on the Sensetive Items Inventory (Meaning, they're traceable unless you remove them).

I just went through a De-Mobilization 3 1/2 months ago and was the NCO who walked our unit armorer through the DOL inspection.

Do what you think is right dude but if you even SUSPECT that the upper is STOLEN and STILL go for it ?

Link Posted: 9/9/2004 7:37:01 PM EDT
[#24]
The chances that this is a real M4 or M16A2 upper are slim to none. What did he replace the so called military upper with? Didn't anyone notice a lower without an upper. More likely the upper is a civilian upper that someone took or had shipped to the sand box and now passing it off as issue equipment.

I will add this. How can an investigator, or anyone for that matter, tell if the upper is an issue upper? There are no special military markings on an upper.

It could be an AR15 upper with Fobus hand guards for all anybody knows.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 8:33:34 PM EDT
[#25]
If the armorers in on it Im sure he hoarded enough parts to build a replacement one or else why risk it,on the other hand story could be BS and then all the thinking is for nothing.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 8:36:31 PM EDT
[#26]
It could be a simple miscommunication, one guy says its just like the military uses and the other guy hears wrong.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 8:13:37 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
It could be a simple miscommunication, one guy says its just like the military uses and the other guy hears wrong.

All discussed here could be possibilities,,, maybe ill have a better idea when i actually get to see it!
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 9:24:15 AM EDT
[#28]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top